Hevia, Parrado et Aragón, Madrid, Spain

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilleann Lady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hevia, Parrado et Aragón, Madrid, Spain

Post by Uilleann Lady »

I came across a web site and it belonged to Hevia, Parrado et Aragón, Madrid, Spain. They have a short wait period and I wonder if their Uilleann pipes are good quality. I have been searching around for a set, but there seems to be a bit of delay in getting a set. Most over a year and a half going way up to 14 years. This is a shock as in Highland pipes we don't have to wait like this. But I can have a full set from Hevia, Parrado et Aragón, Madrid, Spain in 4 months for Euro 5000.

If anyone has any advice in purchasing a set without such a wait, please could you let me know. I've been looking for second hand sets and they seem also to be imposible to find also.

Alice :boggle:
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

"....I can have a full set from Hevia, Parrado et Aragón, Madrid, Spain in 4 months for Euro 5000...."

Please don't take this the wrong way.
Consider doing more research.
You'll be much happier in the future.
Not to say anything about Hevia pipes... it's piping in general.
find a nearby piper for tutorial/piping lessons, get a quality
practice set that allows for upgrades.
There will be plenty of time to decide on that full set many
years down the road should you decide to go that path.
djm

Post by djm »

I would have to second what Tony says. First of all, any reputable maker of Uilleann pipes takes at least 1.5 to 2 years to deliver a full set of pipes, and the top names take 5-10 years. I have never heard of Hevia et al, and more to the point, I have never heard of anyone playing their sets. This makes their delivery time suspect. There's a lot of real crap out there. You can even get a set made in Pakistan. :lol:

You will be doing well if you can play a practise set in one year. Most people take 2-3 years. Once you add the drones, figure at least another year just to get used to them. Most people add one drone at a time, both because of the cost and because of the effort to learn how to play them. In other words, you really don't need a full set to start out with.

As for Highland pipes, the good ones that are handmade can still take years to deliver. Its just the plastic stuff that's available right away, or perhaps a used set that has come up. Otherwise you are still waiting a substantial amount of time.

djm
anima

Post by anima »

Paddy Moloney plays a Hevia chanter.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Getting a set of UP

Post by MarcusR »

Hi Alice!
Carlos Aragón has been around for quite some time, use to make flutes and Giata's (Spanish bagpipes) among other woodwinds. About a year or two ago he teamed up with Hevia and changed his production line a bit and raised his prices. I never seen his any of his pipes but I was close to get one of his unkyed flutes before he rised the price 200 euros (Getting one from Marcus Hernon instead). I heard people claim that Susana Seivane plays his pipes. That however I have a hard time to belive as Susana comes from a familly of pipemakers. Im sure Carlos is a fine instrumentmaker. If Hevia is willing to put his name on the production line of pipes they ought to be good but also more pricy.

[quote="djm"]First of all, any reputable maker of Uilleann pipes takes at least 1.5 to 2 years to deliver a full set of pipes, and the top names take 5-10 years.

Having a long waiting list might define one as a reputable maker (or extremly slow). It will also result in a price tag that will make a beginner or non pro player back off a mile or so. There are also a number of very fine pipemakers that do not yet have a 10 y wating list. It wasn't too long ago that Andreas Rogge could make you a halfset in less than a yaer, practise sets even faster, and I do consider Andreas a reputable maker. Im also sure that there are more like him out there, on their way to build a good reputation.

Alice, you got some good advice from previous posters. Starting of with a used set from a local piper is the best of choises. Not only can you try and hear the set before you buy it. You will also have someone to help you get going wich is worth a million. Especially when it comes into UP reeding, an art of its own.

I got a Robbie Hughes set from a fellow board member a few years back, had a lot of help and instructions included in the deal ;-)

Good luck!

/MarcusR
Keith

Post by Keith »

I'd echo the comments about doing more research. Trawl through some of great web sites on Uilleann piping and you'll soon build up a list of makers. Call them and discuss their wait times, upgrade paths, after sales service etc. Speak to some others who use their pipes.

From my personal experience:
- whilst I'd agree with the caution expressed about poorly made pipes, I think there is some snobbery about makers and their pipes. My maker has always delivered within about 6 months; first practice set, then drones, now regulators (on order). His pipes are (I believe) played by at least one well known piper; mine have been complemented by better pipers than me; but the maker is not on the 'fashionable' list. Others I know have had similar wait times with other makers. They may not be the 'best of the best', but then again, neither am I (and I'm unlikely to be!).

- buy directly from the maker, and keep your maker reasonably local - you'll want to visit, check things out etc.

- get a practice set first (God forbid, but you may not like playing them; and it's cheaper and quicker): then you can upgrade your practice set later

- or carry on playing your practice set and order a full set from a maker with a long wait list. When you receive your full set you can sell the practice set (but you'll be way too emotionally tied to it to do that!) That way you get the best of both worlds

I hope you manage to get a set and hope you enjoy them.

Best of luck, Keith
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Alice
I sent you a private message with the names of a few well-established uilleann pipers who would be able to offer expert advice and with whom I could put you in touch.
Many of us have rushed to buy in the past, and then regretted it.

Good second hand sets come to those who have contacts...they rarely come onto the open market.
If you already are in Ireland, you stand a better chance of getting on-hand advice and seeing sets in action....and your eventual purchase will be all the better for that.
[a Joe Bloggs set might be great for my mate and his cousin, but for me could be a disaster waiting to happen.....better to play a few different sets and find what you really want]

So start networking!!

Boyd
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Nothing wrong with these makers,Craftsmanship is out of this world,
money back if your not happy with their instruments, 12months
warranty with all their instruments, I was sent sound samples of their
chanters & drones, lovely tone from the chanter, I've ordered a fully
Keyed Chanter, is there any other maker who gives this sevice & offer?
and there prices are very competitive with other makers of today,
I think its about time all makers give as good a service as these
makers from spain, I know makers I could'nt get any service from
and they just live down the road, if their good enough for Paddy Malonie
there good enough for me, I would'nt have any problems buying a
practice or half set from these guys, you always have your money back
offer. 8)
teirw

Post by teirw »

Hi Alice,Let me recommend Brian Howard (howardmusic.co.uk).I bought a practise set (2 weeks wait) and later on upgraded to a half set with the drones (3 months wait).His service has been great and he is a mine of information. He gives FREE lessons and taught me to make my own reeds as well.The pipes have been absolutely trouble free and the original reed still plays in tune, without any messing about on my part.I have no connection with Brian other than I am a very satisfied customer.When I read of the trials and tribulations others have had my heart goes out to them.If you are near Sheffield go and see him.If you are near North Wales
come and try mine, Good luck,Teirw
Rick

Post by Rick »

stew wrote: is there any other maker who gives this sevice & offer?
yes.., mine!! :D
djm

Post by djm »

Lots of good makers for sure. Lots of bad ones, too. It pays to ask around.

When did Paddy Moloney change chanters? He always played a Rowsome as far as I know.

Good points raised here about the quality of service of some makers. After-sales service is something to consider. That's why I like dealing with Joe Kennedy. If he made, he'll fix it, and not just limited to 12 months.

Gossip:
- I am told that Robbie Hughes is no longer making full sets. Regulators are just too much trouble.
- A lady I know with a full Wooff C set wanted to get them re-reeded. Jeff's price for a new set of reeds - $1000. -oof!-

I meant to say "one regulator at a time" in my previous post.

djm
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

The Spanish pipes are really very good, at least the ones I saw were. The workmanship is excellent, and tone and tuning were good as well. They are, as yet, an underutilized source of quality gear, short wait time, at a great price, and with a moneyback guarantee to boot. Hard to go wrong with all that. Has anyone warning off potential buyers any hands-on experience with these instruments? I would like to hear of any, if it exists, rather than general distrust of "foreign" or unknown makers.

Ted
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I was warning a soon-to-be piper from purchasing a full set without more research. Was that perceived as not buying the Hevia pipes??
anima

Post by anima »

MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

djm wrote: Gossip:
- I am told that Robbie Hughes is no longer making full sets. Regulators are just too much trouble.
djm
To bad if its true. I really like Robbies work and I'm very happy with the set I got. I Guess there is no sure deals, even Woff or Gallagher can suddenly pass away before you make the transision from practice set to regulators.

Over and out, Seatrout!

/MarcusR