Whistle that sounds like a flute?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm looking for something that plays with the ease of a whistle but that has a warm, rich, woody flute tone.

Any suggestions?
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianormond »

-Well-Perhaps your first response should be from an authoritative source.
Instead, you've got me. You didn't state a key or octave, so here's some generalities: The low D Copeland brass whistle sounds flutey to me. The low G Water Weasel has nice resonance and a warm, burbly sound also, but not as flutey as the Copeland low D. I know nought of wooden whistles and their sounds, some of which likely sound flute-like as well.
-Wooden whistlers, pipe up!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Oops, I should have specified a high whistle, B flat and higher. I wish I could play a low but have tiny hands.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

The closest I've found to that description was a Grinter high-D.

-Brett
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well Boo I think your talking Clark D or C. The original that is. Very inexpensive and flute like sound. The next step up might be Dixon but for the money I would go with the Clark. I did tweek a Gen C into a flute like sound but it wasn`t easy. Shaw might be another one that would fill the bill. Those are all I`ve played with what I would call a flute like timber. Course you should hear me play the flute-)

Tom
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

My daughter has a sterling silver Tully session D whistle. That instrument sounds so flute-like it is eerie! Also, gorgeous.
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I'll second the suggestion to try a Dixon - my Dixon D has a very flute-like tone.

Not "woody" but "flutelike" could also describe the Walton's or Oak C whistles; I like them both, but I'd give the edge to the Oak.

The Oak D is also nice, once you've mastered the needed breath control - it takes a lot less breath (and a lot more control) than my other D whistles. The tone isn't "woody" but is almost heartbreakingly clear and pure. It does take practice - the first couple of days it drove me crazy with unwanted squeaks - but it it's worth the time and effort.

If by "flutelike" you mean "airy", I agree with the "Clarke Original" vote - not my cup of tea, usually, but a lovely whistle nonetheless.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

If you're referring to tonecolor like that as a flute rather than a "reedy" sound, look for whistles with round or squarish fipples. Rectangular fipples will sound 'reedy' and square fipples usually sound 'flutey'.
Boo

Whistle with a airy wooden flute tone?

Post by Boo »

Thanks for the Clarke and Shaw recommendations. My first whistle was a Clarke original C. Although I've kept it, I never play it now. It's not in tune with itself and need a lot of push to get to the high notes in the second octave--some are impossible. Latter problem is true for the Shaw too that I tried, though the Shaw was in better tune.

I've never played a Dixon or a Grinter (couldn't find info on Grinter whistle--only flutes and recorders). Tully clips on their site sound pretty pure to me, but maybe that's just my bad speakers. Thanks for the leads.

To my surprise, the clips I've heard of many wooden whistles don't sound the way I'd expect, at least not the ones I can afford. :) :) In fact, the new Sweetheart seems very pure in tone, from their description and clips I've heard, not at all airy and warm.

Good tuning, low air, complex warm tone, and relatively inexpensive. Boy, maybe I'm just dreamin'!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

copelands have it all but the last.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I'll second (or third) the Dixon. I have a Dixon D with brass slide and it does have a flutey tone. It's lots less expensive (~35$) than any wood whistles. When I play it at lessons next to my teacher's blackwood O'Riordan the difference is obvious but then the Dixon only cost $35.
Mike
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

have a listen in the reels department, in the link below. there's a clip of a burke low D EZ composite.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Since I don't actually play flute yet (unlike others here) I'm not sure that my opinion is worth much. That said, Grinters and Copelands sound flutey to me.

You won't get information on Grinters I think, except from those of us who play them. Just email Michael and he'll tell you about prices and waiting times, but expect about 3 or 4 months unless you get lucky. They are beautiful whistles and I think they have the complexity you want. I have a low F which is one of my absolute favourites. A good Copeland is a great whistle but I've found them a little variable in quality.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:If you're referring to tonecolor like that as a flute rather than a "reedy" sound, look for whistles with round or squarish fipples. Rectangular fipples will sound 'reedy' and square fipples usually sound 'flutey'.
Daniel, I'm trying to visualize what you're talking about, and I'm not getting it. Would you please elaborate?

Thanks!
Jerry
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

I would say Burke, because Burkes are the only whistles I know of that sound actually GOOD in the third register, similarly to flutes sounding good when hitting high notes.