Whistler bought a flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistler bought a flute

Post by Henke »

Hi there everyone.

I haven't hung out much at this forum. The main reason for that might be that I'm one of these hard core whistlers next door.
I just ordered a flute now, it will probably show up tomorow. I bought a Dixon polymer combi flute/low D whistle. What do you think about that for a first flute? I hope I made a good choise. But since it was for only $90 i figured it wouldn't be a totall catastrofy if the flute is'nt very good. The low-whistle is good, and I know that almost for sure. But if the flute is decent, it sounds, to me, like a better choise for the whistler to buy one of those than an Olwell bamboo flute. I'd be happy to hear your opinions...

Cheers
carrie

Post by carrie »

Olwell bamboo flutes are in a class by themselves, in my opinion. It's *never* a mistake to buy one of those. It was my first flute, though my first wooden one arrived only days later. Since I don't have any experience with the Dixon, I can't comment on that. I'm sure you'll get some good feedback here.

Carol
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Having had both the Dixon 2 pc and several Olwell bamboo D's (and an F and a G), I can tell you the Olwell is a much better value, and a FAR better flute. The Low D whistle part of the Dixon is a good deal, but it's a bit difficult to play as a flute, is not so well in tune as you go into the second octave, and the sound is nowhere near as nice as that of the Olwell. Also, be careful not to leave the Dixon in a hot car during the summer, they have been known to warp and/or Melt.

OTH, the Olwell D has very large holes and they are quite a stretch to reach - it's the only flute I've ever had a real problem playing in that regard, so if you must have a D, then perhaps the Dixon has the advantage there.

I guess I should say that my main concern about the Dixon 2 pc (flute) is that they can be a fairly difficult flute for a beginner to learn on (talking from experience here) - that is to say learning proper embouchure and getting a consistent sound out of those Dixons can be a real challenge, much more so than on a better flute, so if you have serious problems, don't give up on flute playing, try another instrument when you can.

Loren
jqpublick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jqpublick »

Loren:

I have to say I'm really glad to hear you say that about the Dixon 2 pc (sounds like some kinda 1930's dance craze, "The Dixon Two-Piece") as I've had quite a bit of difficulty with it and have been somewhat frustrated with the second octave, but as I don't know anyone else around here who plays the Irish style flute I thought (from my readings on the hinternet) that it was a fault of my embrochure. I'm just about to send some cash off to purchase an M&E polymer flute and I'm quite excited about the whole thing. But reading your comments on the Dixon has put my mind to ease about a few things. Thanks, man!

Yours,
Mark
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hi Mark,

Glad I was able to offer some (indirect) encouragement ;)

Based on my own experiences, I think you'll find the M&E a quantum leap from the Dixon 2pc., have fun!

Loren
P.S. Are you getting the standard M&E, or R&R? I'd skip the split front.....
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I couldn't play my Olwell bamboo D in tune,
especially the lower notes. Finally sold it
I continue to
suppose it was me--still I think it's a
demanding flute for beginners.

The Dixon three piece isn't so easy, either
... but it will serve.
My impression is that if you're going
to play the flute there's something to
be said to spending enough money
to get something solidly playable,
especially as such things can
be resold. Best
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Loren;

It's the standard M & E and I can't wait! I was supposed to send the money off on Friday last but I've been waiting for my backpay and Lo and behold, the cheques aren't here yet! How amazing! I love my job but dislike the management; they promise one thing and do another, even when our government steps in and say 'do it now.' Hopefully the money will be in my hot little hands by Thursday and I'll have the flute by sometime next week. I'll just practice a few other instruments until then, probably other people's. :devil:

Mark
nickt

Post by nickt »

Mark

I'm a regular whistle who's just got his first flute (M&E Polymer). Last night was my first flute lesson with my whistle teacher, and it comprised largely of he sitting on the edge of his chair pleading to play the flute! he took Michael's details from me, saying he HAS to order one! I think that gives you an idea of how good the M&E is. And I have to say, in the hands of a skilled player (not me yet!) it sounds glrious.

Nick
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Henke

Post by Henke »

:)
Last edited by Henke on Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Henke:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~mandeflutes/

There's the website, which shoiuld answer all of your flute informational needs.

Mark
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

Henke- I started out on the two piece flute whistle combo too. It was my first flute -low whistle, after my Clark & Feadog.The low D flute worked better for me than the low whistle did. After 6 months I upgraded to a three piece delrin Dixon . Much better flute than the two piece combo! Last month I switched to M&E R&R and love it . As much fun as I had with the three piece Dixon I wish I had skipped it and gone straight to the M&E .The Dixon took a much more focused {tight ?} embouchure and was more difficult in the upper octaves than the M&E.Some players have found the Dixon more difficult than others but I suspect it would be one of the easier flutes to learn on but for me thr M&E R&R is easier still.I have short wide fingers and have trouble with the stretch between L2&L3 {G to A} on D bamboo flutes but I have no trouble at all on the Dixon or the M&E.
Best
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
Henke

Post by Henke »

I recived the Dixon 2pc today. The low whistle stunned me, as I did expect. What a lovely "flutey" sound and easy size, spacing of the holes.
I've only tried a little on the flute and I do get sounds out of it, but I have a really hard time getting any sounds in the first octave. The second is easier so far. But I havent played any trad. flute whatsoever before, just tried a little on a metall Boehm flute and managed to get sounds from it so I guess it isn't more than normal that it's hard from the begining.

I'm going to England in a few weeks and thought about having a look at Hobgoblin in London. Do they stock any nice flutes? What should I look for?
Henke

Post by Henke »

I've progressed a bit further now. I get a more solid tone (from time to time). But wheez! Are Irish flutes suposed to take this much air? I have to breath every second note or so...
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Henke,
so you've got them, thats great. Re the flute, try just playing around with the head joint to see where you get the strongest tone. When you have that figured try a slow tune, I worked on "Southwind". At the start I had the same problems re breathing, but it gets easier as your embouchure becomes more consistantly focused. Don't try to force the low notes by using too much air, try to ease the notes out. I'm having some problems with my new flute as the embouchure needs to be more focused than on my other flutes. I think this shows just how important embouchure is, and it takes time to get it right.

Cheers, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
nickt

Post by nickt »

Henke wrote: I'm going to England in a few weeks and thought about having a look at Hobgoblin in London. Do they stock any nice flutes? What should I look for?
Hobgoblin is great for a visit and you may well come out with something. Regarding flutes, they'll try to sell you either the Dixon conical 3-pce polymer (£120) or the John Rutzen blackwood (£300). Both decent flutes, but both bettered by not much more outlay in their respective categories - the M&E polymer is better than both and a star buy (£260), and the Lehart blackwood (£380) is apparently tops (9 month waiting list though). Hobs always has a good display of whistles on the go in all keys; at least come out with something to tweak on.

Edited to clarify that Hobgoblin does not sell M&E or Lehart; both are direct from maker only.
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?