Green topped Generation Brass

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
breedlovejumbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Green topped Generation Brass

Post by breedlovejumbo »

I saw a green-top Generation Brass D at a store in Manitou Springs Colorado. It was labeled as a folk whistle. Is it like this from the factory, or did someone just change the mouthpieces on a bunch of Gens?
But I will sit and hearken, and be glad that through you great beauty has been wakened into song.
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

they make them that way. some have had good luck with the gen green headed folk whistle. it is still probably hit or miss :party:
tansy
shy the blond water
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

My favorite whistle is my green topped Gen D. It just seems "right" to me, that Irish music should be played on a green fippled whistle. After all, Ireland is the Emerald Isle.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Yeah, it was a new line they brought out a year~ish ago so gullible but sweet natured and devilishly handsome individuals like Blackhawk and me would rush out and buy one, when we already have the bluetop and redtop flavours.

I think they may have been worried about competition from Clare, Doolin, Walton & Feadog, all made in Ireland and all having green tops.

I keep trying it to see if it really does sound different from the normal redtop. I just can't be sure.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Martin Milner wrote:Yeah, it was a new line they brought out a year~ish ago so gullible but sweet natured and devilishly handsome individuals like Blackhawk and me would rush out and buy one, when we already have the bluetop and redtop flavours.
Martin, if they ever come out in rainbow colors, you and I are in trouble! :D

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
breedlovejumbo

Post by breedlovejumbo »

Thanks everyone. If I'm back there today I think I'll get one. I want to be just like you guys.
But I will sit and hearken, and be glad that through you great beauty has been wakened into song.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

blackhawk wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:Yeah, it was a new line they brought out a year~ish ago so gullible but sweet natured and devilishly handsome individuals like Blackhawk and me would rush out and buy one, when we already have the bluetop and redtop flavours.
Martin, if they ever come out in rainbow colors, you and I are in trouble! :D
Actually that does raise the question of why nobody has ever brought out a splotchy multicoloured plastic fipple, like the Clown Barf guitar picks.

Maybe the coloursplash would be inherently weak at the joints (though the picks do not have this problem) or maybe we whistlers are considered a conservative bunch who aren't up for a laugh and couldn't handle all the attention such a fipple would attract.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

breedlovejumbo wrote:Thanks everyone. If I'm back there today I think I'll get one. I want to be just like you guys.
:lol: Well then, you need to start walking with a limp (it's my left leg).

--Plato
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

blackhawk wrote:
breedlovejumbo wrote:Thanks everyone. If I'm back there today I think I'll get one. I want to be just like you guys.
:lol: Well then, you need to start walking with a limp (it's my left leg).
And let all your hair drop out and grow your head to look like a fat potato with a disfiguring skin condition. I burnt my baldy bonce in the sun on Friday and now I look like I have terminal dandruff.

Ah, life is sweet.
dmcr35

Post by dmcr35 »

I have one of these green jobs. Good whistle, except I had to enlarge hole 5 so that the F# would play more in tune. Next to a tweaked Walton Mellow D it's my favourite.

Dave McRitchie
Toronto, Canada
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Martin Milner wrote:I think they may have been worried about competition from Clare, Doolin, Walton & Feadog, all made in Ireland and all having green tops.

I keep trying it to see if it really does sound different from the normal redtop. I just can't be sure.
The fipple's always greener on the other side of the British Isles, eh?
Reasonable person
Walden
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

The greentop Generations have a bigger windway than the redtops. I don't know if this affects the sound or not. At least the one I have does. It's noticeable if you put the two whistleheads side by side.

As to the F# playing "flat" on the factory run tube, that's typical of many pennywhistles. It appears to be a carryover from just intonation.

A "perfect" third (the one a singer, violinist, etc. will use to create spot-on harmonies) will be about 13 cents flat to an even tempered third (piano, fretted instruments, etc.). Some whistles (Feadogs, Oaks) have the third tuned to even temperament, others (Generations, etc.) have the third closer to just intonation, although there are often other pitch inaccuracies.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Walden wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:I think they may have been worried about competition from Clare, Doolin, Walton & Feadog, all made in Ireland and all having green tops.

The fipple's always greener on the other side of the British Isles, eh?
Walden, I hope you're not suggesting that Ireland is one of the British Isles are you? :P
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wombat wrote:Walden, I hope you're not suggesting that Ireland is one of the British Isles are you? :P
Alls I know is what I read in the Encyclopædia Britannica. :D
Reasonable person
Walden
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have a green-top Gen D which is a lovely whistle.

In fact, the last several Gens I have bought were all good right out of the box. There has been speculation their quality control may have improved recently, which would explain things.

I have a green-top, red-top, and blue-top which were good here...all three have a larger windway than an older blue-top which required tweaking to play well. Also the older one had some plastic "spurs" which had to be removed, and the new good ones all have very clean fipples, no spurs or sharp seams.

--James