The Eagle has landed... barely! - now with pictures!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

The Eagle has landed... barely! - now with pictures!

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Today, after two and a half years (five months of which have been due to me being Mexico), I finally received my new, 8 keyed, blackwood, acanthus leaf Rudall and Rose model Grinter flute.
It's beautiful.
My Aunt and Uncle brought it to me down here in Mexico - barely. When they got to the airport in DC they realized they'd forgotten it, so they changed flights and drove back home to get it (bless their souls). When they got to Mexico City they spent the night in a hotel and then flew to San Cristobal this morning. They forgot the flute at the check in counter in Mexico City, but remembered it right before they boarded their flight and miraculously were able to go back and get it. This is the flute I saved for for years, sold other instruments to buy and have waited two and a half years for and plan to pass on to my grandchildren. I'm just glad it got here. It almost didn't.
Upon it's arrival the flute had not been played for three months, nor oiled, so the first thing I did was to give it a nice bath and massage in olive oil.
After a couple hours of just gazing at it longingly I could wait no longer and I brought it to my lips to play. It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. More beautiful than I expected (funny how things usually turn out that way). It's beautiful to look at. Beautiful to listen to. Beautiful to play. A pure joy.

The flute in it's box.

Another shot of the flute in it's box.

Three pictures of the entire flute.

The crown.

Headjoint shots.

Left-hand joint.

Right hand.

The C foot.

I know some of these pictures are a little blurry and it's hard to see the metal-work clearly, but they were taken on a crummy digital camera that could take pictures from very close. Hmm... they came out bigger than I expected too. Sorry!

Deliriously happy,
Chris
Last edited by ChrisLaughlin on Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The Eagle has landed... barely!

Post by chas »

ChrisLaughlin wrote: I brought it to my lips to play. It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. More beautiful than I expected (funny how things usually turn out that way). It's beautiful to look at. Beautiful to listen to. Beautiful to play. A pure joy.
But what do you REALLY think of it. :)

I'd trade for it, but have one coming in about a year. How was the delivery time compared to Michael's estimate? He told us about a year and a half.

Congrats! I'm looking forward to ours (which will be primarily my wife's, but she'll let me play it).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Then, after that, you two are going to get good flutes?

(duking for cover) :tomato:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Hey Chris:

Sounds just great. How many nights did you lie awake in guadalahara or wherever you are and thinking about those crack forming in your flute? Anyway, the adventure in getting down to you makes it all more inspiring.

Micheal also told me the year and a half wait for my cocus 8-key--which would put me in August 2004 or so. Should I plan on waiting until 2005?

Regards,
G
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

greg, it's almost as funny as when I got the case of lightbulbs instead of your Olwell Pratten a year or so ago. remember? :lol:
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Hey Mr. NPR-Migoya!

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the above post! Thankfully, you were able to track the Olwell down in the States. Very funny, and only so, since it worked out in the end.

Didn't work out so well for my Rudall though...but a new chapter will soon begin for that one, once Terry McGee gets tired of playing my awesome flute he repaired (and throwing in a more flexible headjoint than the Wilkes).
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

:roll: What a bunch of jokers you fluters are!
Well, yeah, it made it here, barely... but it made it and that's what counts.
I played it for a little while last night and some more this morning when I woke up (it's the first thing I did, before even getting out of bed). I love the keys! What a treat.
It's a little tricky playing the C and C# keys while maintaining a good seal on the D hol, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Also, my pinky is really confused about what to do now that it can't rest anywhere.
As for delivery dates... Michael's estimate for me was 18 months, which would have been some time last November. He finished it in the beginning of February, a couple days after I left for Mexico. So, we're talking about three months late or so, which I think is really quite good. Consider that a keyed Olwell takes 5 or 6 years. The reason I just got the flute is that I've been in Mexico and neither Michael nor myself wanted to ship the flute here, so we had it sent to my Aunt and Uncle in the USA and they brought it down here (barely). We probably would have been safer just sending it Pony Express.
Carol Skinner was the first to offer to host the photos (many of you have offered, thank you), so the photos should be up sometime this afternoon or evening.
Thanks for all the kind words and I'll keep you all posted.
Best,
Chris
carrie

Post by carrie »

ChrisLaughlin wrote: Also, my pinky is really confused about what to do now that it can't rest anywhere.
Chris, John W. vents the Eb key with his pinky, except on the notes on which that makes a difference in pitch. May want to try that.

Carol
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Hey, who offered their beautiful daughter? :party:
carrie

Post by carrie »

Oh Chris!!

It's absolutely stunning. May you and your grandkids and your grandkids' grandkids enjoy it to the fullest.

And the petals were a nice touch. ;)

Carol
Gordon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

Chris;
Seriously. Next time, don't get the floor model; get the fancier one. :poke:
All the best,
Gordon
(it is a beautiful flute, incidentally. Congratulations.)
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Gordon wrote:Chris;
Seriously. Next time, don't get the floor model; get the fancier one. :poke:
Well, I did ask to have it made with rings and keys in platinum with gold leaf, rhinestones and holographic decals (kind of like Michael Flatley's flute), but for some reason Michael Grinter thought that would be a bad idea.
Chris
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

:o That's one amazing looking flute, but I'm surprised it's already cracked (you can see it in the third picture). Since you're in Mexico, please ship it to me immediately so I can deal with Michael personally. It might take me a few months, but I promise to return it and you won't even be able to see the crack anymore. I'll also personally take the time to break it in for you!

I always feel so virtuous when I'm being altruistic... :D

Seriously, that's one amazingly beautiful flute.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Are the tenon joints sealed with thread? Does Michael do them in cork too?

Thanks. Lovely flute!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Chris: Great beginner flute. ;)

Chas: Grinter, whom I love otherwise, uses this annoying thin cotton hemp junk for the joints. Blech. I prefer cork.

Stuart