oiling wooden whistles question?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I REALLY hate to even mention this topic again, but I want to make sure I've got the correct oil before I put any on my whistle.

I just bought a bottle of:

Hain
100% Expeller Pressed
Almond Oil
Vitamin E Added to Enhance Freshness
All Natural

Is this the correct stuff for oiling an African Blackwood whistle? Also, how do you oil the inside of the whistle, and should you oil the inside of windway (fipple wood)?

Thanks for any advice! :smile:

-Brett
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yeah, that sounds like the right stuff.
To oil inside I have a recorder swab,
bought at a local music store, on
a twisted wire handle. I put some
almond oil on it and swab the tubes
of the whistle. I do the outside too, of course. I put some on the blade,
but it's never occurred to me to try to
oil inside the windway itself.
Maybe someone
can tell us if that's a good idea. I'd
say don't do it. Best wishes...
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Generally, as instructed by Glen Schultz, I use the oil on the outside of the whistle after each session and use a swab to remove moisture from inside. About once a month, I oil the inside as well.
Mick Woodruff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Woodruff »

I'm sure that differnt makers will give different advice. The only blackwood whistle I own is a Rose, and I was advised by Fred Rose <I>not</I> to oil it. He said that introducing oils inside the bore is likely to remove the oils put there during manufacture but, if you are being told something else, it's probably okay to go ahead and oil the inside. Do keep the oil away from the windway / fipple though.<P>Mick
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

I think the best advice I ever got from a manufacturer was when I was chatting with the maker of a 10-hole fife ( made of grenadilla ) I was purchasing. It was, and is, a beautiful instrument, and because I wanted to take care of it properly I asked him for his suggestions with regard to oil and oiling. He laughed, and said he didn't get involved in that sort of thing, that there were so many competing philosophies I should just do what I thought best. I have, and it has worked. :lol:
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

DON'T oil inside the windway!! This will cause the formation of those little water droplets that clog things up when you play. You can oil everything else though, although I usually avoid a lot of oil on the ramp.