Who makes a good B whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Who makes a good B whistle?

Post by Bretton »

It seems to me this may have been discussed before, but when I searched I got 0 results.

Anyway, who makes a good whistle in B (not Bb)?

Mike Burke is the only one I know of...

Thanks for any info!

-Brett

P.S. I don't really need the key of B for anything in particular. I want a whistle for solo playing that's not as high pitched as a D. C's aren't quite low sounding enough and Bb's are just big enough that they're harder to play quickly (for me anyway), so I thought a B whistle might be just right.

:party:
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I have a B Overton whistle by Colin Goldie that I'm very happy with...
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

Mack Hoover also makes a B whistle. It is really quite good. You can't go wrong with one of Mack's. I own several of his works (D, C, B, A, F and Lo D) and the B is one of his best. I think my favorite Hoover is the lo F - but the B is next, no make that the C . . . well they are all great whistles.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

John Sindt makes a B Whistle now.
Jack

Post by Jack »

P.S. I don't really need the key of B for anything in particular. I want a whistle for solo playing that's not as high pitched as a D. C's aren't quite low sounding enough and Bb's are just big enough that they're harder to play quickly (for me anyway), so I thought a B whistle might be just right.
I remember reading that somebody said one of thier As had closer spacing than a Bb, but I forget who said it and what whistle it was.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cranberry wrote:
I remember reading that somebody said one of their As had closer spacing than a Bb, but I forget who said it and what whistle it was.
It might have been me.

The spacing on the Generation Bb is a bit odd, the lowest hole being very large compared to the rest. Other than that, the whistle is nice, and of course has the benefit of being the cheapest in the key.

I now have Dixons in Bb, A and Low G (and D and C and Low D), and the hole size and spacing down to low G allows me to play any Dixon with no trouble. By the time I get to Low F and D, I need to adjust to pipers grip which takes some extra getting used to.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I have a Water Weasel in B, a very nice whistle.

Carol
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Susato makes a suprisingly good B..
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Copeland Bb is excellent.
lixnaw

who makes a good B whistle

Post by lixnaw »

i believe mike burke makes the best B whistle on earth, you get 30 days money back policy aswell. www.burkewhistles.com
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

For those with hearts of STEEL, cutting 1/3" off the <b>TOP</b> of a Bb Generation(or similar)whistle will raise the pitch to B. If you don't have a pipe cutter, go to the hardware store and ask them to do it while you watch. apply masking tape to the metal so the pipecutter's rollers won't scratch the surface.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com