The dates are set and I can't wait!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Soineanta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The dates are set and I can't wait!!

Post by Soineanta »

I know how many people on this Board are dying to go to Ireland, and might viciously attack someone who says she's going there over the summer--those people, don't read on.
But I couldn't resist! We called the airlines today and officially reserved our round-trip tickets to Dublin, July 5th through August 6th. By the way, AmEx airmiles ROCK! We got three of our four tickets FREE because of them. But the thing with airmiles is that they only reserve a certain amount of free tickets per flight, so we're getting to spend a week longer than we had originally planned because none were available til the 6th. Guess who's NOT complaining?!
Sorry again if I make people jealous, but I'm about to burst with excitement!
I'm hoping to meet some of you there! Anyone I was planning to meet (Beth, Martin), or anyone who's going to be there esp. at Willy Week and might want to meet up, email me and I'll send you my itinerary.
I'M GOING TO IRELAND!
:boggle:
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Waaaaa! I wanna go toooooo! :waah:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My wife and I are going next Tuesday for ten days. My wife is not a music fanatic like me so I have graciously agreed not to spend the entire time in music shops and hunting for sessions to listen in on. It will be my first visit but, I am sure, not my last.
Mike
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Redwolf wrote:Waaaaa! I wanna go toooooo! :waah:

Redwolf
Well, okay... the first 3 lucky responders to this thread will win a free, all-expenses-paid trip to Ireland with my family via my huge duffel bag! Travel in comfort CLOSE to your Chiffy pals. Side pockets within to store yer whistles included. ;)
Seriously though, I wish I could take all my friends and you guys! Especially since I'm going with my family, whose interests don't always, errr, come close to mine. :roll:
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

WOW!
A whole month! Can you give us a little sample of all the places you
plan to visit...just so we get more jealous, of course.
Lolly
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Sara, you're going to have a GREAT time! How are you preparing for the trip? Getting the books and tour guides? Find any cool websites?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

lollycross wrote:WOW!
A whole month! Can you give us a little sample of all the places you
plan to visit...just so we get more jealous, of course.
Lolly
Well, I'm starting in Dublin and basically working my way around the coast, ending in Dublin too. The places I'm staying in are Cashel, Kilbrittain, Kenmare, Tralee, Ennis, Galway, Inis Mor, Westport, Collooney, Lifford, Templepatrick, Castlewellan, and Slane. As for actual sights I'll be doing most of the pretty-well-known stuff, though none of the over-touristy stuff like kissing the Blarney Stone or the crystal factory! (visiting the factory that is.. not kissing it) Some of the things I'm most excited about are the shows in Dublin, the Rock of Cashel, the Ailwee Caves, ceilith at Willy Week, the Giant's Causeway, all the old tombs and things in Meath and Louth, and hiking up Croagh Patrick and a few other mountains. Suggestions are surely welcome for other things! :D
Sara, you're going to have a GREAT time! How are you preparing for the trip? Getting the books and tour guides? Find any cool websites?
Mostly I've been using the Frommers Ireland book, a book called "Ireland's Best Drives" and goireland.com. The Ancient Sites directory (www.henge.org.uk) is good for finding stone circles and such, and I found alot at www.gaolsoire.ie.
~Sara S.~
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Excellent Sara!

We shall definitely meet at Willie Week. Also, I will be done with my classes on August 2nd, so perhaps we could meet up again during your final days there? Drop me an email at some point, yahoo address, not the edu one.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Soineanta wrote: Well, I'm starting in Dublin and basically working my way around the coast, ending in Dublin too. The places I'm staying in are Cashel, Kilbrittain, Kenmare, Tralee, Ennis, Galway, Inis Mor, Westport, Collooney, Lifford, Templepatrick, Castlewellan, and Slane. Suggestions are surely welcome for other things! :D
You definitely have the right idea, Sara. The Rock of Cashel is my favorite place in Ireland (I just got back from Eire on Wednesday myself!). When in Dublin, make sure to visit the Brazen Head pub. It's the oldest one in Ireland and has trad seven nights a week (it's easy to find, right down near the quays). Also, just south of Limerick, near Lough Gur, is the largest standing stone circle in Ireland, the Grange stones. They date back 4300 years and have to been seen to be believed. If you're going far enough south, also, check out the Drombeg standing stone circle, near Rosscarbery. They are excellent!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

blackhawk wrote:
Soineanta wrote: Well, I'm starting in Dublin and basically working my way around the coast, ending in Dublin too. The places I'm staying in are Cashel, Kilbrittain, Kenmare, Tralee, Ennis, Galway, Inis Mor, Westport, Collooney, Lifford, Templepatrick, Castlewellan, and Slane. Suggestions are surely welcome for other things! :D
You definitely have the right idea, Sara. The Rock of Cashel is my favorite place in Ireland (I just got back from Eire on Wednesday myself!). When in Dublin, make sure to visit the Brazen Head pub. It's the oldest one in Ireland and has trad seven nights a week (it's easy to find, right down near the quays). Also, just south of Limerick, near Lough Gur, is the largest standing stone circle in Ireland, the Grange stones. They date back 4300 years and have to been seen to be believed. If you're going far enough south, also, check out the Drombeg standing stone circle, near Rosscarbery. They are excellent!
I'm glad to hear I picked some good ones! Thanks for the advice about Brazen Head and the Grange stones, I'll be sure to check them out. And I was actually planning to visit the Drombeg circle. :)
~Sara S.~
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Soineanta wrote:Thanks for the advice about Brazen Head and the Grange stones, I'll be sure to check them out. And I was actually planning to visit the Drombeg circle. :)
You're welcome, Sara. If you have any trouble finding the Brazen Head, just ask any taxi driver. Wolfe Tone and Robert Emmet both met there often in plotting their rebellions, and Rob't Emmet actually kept a room there.

You'll love Drombeg! The signs aren't well posted, so drive slowly and watch carefully. When you reach the carpark on the right, park there and walk down the rock walkway at the far end of the small lot. It leads toward the left (I didn't notice that at first).
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Great advice again! That is one thing I'm worried about, that it'll be a National Lampoons scene with us trying to find things.. at least I'll know for sure about Drombeg. Thanks a bunch!
~Sara S.~