OT - What one thing to see in Ireland?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Patrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT - What one thing to see in Ireland?

Post by Patrick »

Okay, I am not going to Ireland. But my wife probably will be going in August. She will have 2 days to see something. Her sister is taking her to Ireland and France. We have France covered for what to see, but we don't know much about Ireland. Her sister's friends have convinced the sister not to go to Dublin. Other than that, what would you see if you had only one day to do it and limited funds?

We are just trying to plan for the trip. So you know our interests, we both are interested in history, especially medieval and earlier (right back into the Bronze Age). I have a fascination with armor (my wife would love to photograph any good collections she can see, but I have not heard of any extensive armories in Ireland), odd musical instruments, and uncommon handicrafts. She doesn't drink and her musical tastes don't run to traditional sessions.

Suggestions?

-Patrick
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

If you like scenery, the cliff of Moher & the Burren on the west coast are breathtaking. If you can hire a car, take a trip round the Kerry ring or the Dingle peninsular, there's a lot of ancient sites there, stone circles, monastic retreats etc.

Bunratty castle is a bit touristy, but with the folk park too you can get a good idea of the two sides of Irish life - the rich (usually English) lords in the castle, and the poor Irish living in one room cottages.

I don't know of much armour in Ireland, any there is would probably be in Dublin, the Irish were never great users of protection. Dublinia is a great museum about medieval Ireland, and there's a Viking exhibition too - but they're both in Dublin. Tralee has a good museum about medieval life, but is otherwise a tip. Adare there is a great exhibition about Irish monastic life - plus a fabulous whistle shop, Shanna Quay, and a chance of session in the evening.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm with Martin. If I were going back, I'd stick pretty much to Clare and Kerry.

If they're more into city stuff, the Waterford Crystal tour is way cool.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Co. Sligo has the greatest concentration of prehistorical megaliths to be found in the world. Stone circles, dolmens, souterrains, ringforts, standing stones...five thousand + years old.

There are truly glorious places to stay, abbeys, friaries, churches and such to tour.

Drop me an email if you have any interest in my suggestions and I'll give you specifics.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I agree with Martin. The ring of Kerry, the cliffs of Moher, and the Burren are spectacular. I would take another Jaunting cart ride back to Muckross Manor. The ride is great fun and the gardens are beautiful. We spent 2 weeks in southern Ireland last May. When we were there the Rhodedendrens were in bloom. I have never seen them this large. If you enjoy the prehistory, Knowth and Newgrange are very interesting. Next visit I am going to go for a walk on Dingle beach and play a song for Ireland.
Ron
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

ONE WORD:

Glendalough

Tom D
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I would rent a car and drive to the west coast. Drive straight to Galway and then see some things in Co. Clare and Connemara.

I think Dingle, Kerry etc. is too far to drive for a 2 day trip (roughly 400 miles just to get there and back, not counting the local driving around)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

For what first comes to mind, I would definitely want to see Newgrange for ancient construction, and the Devil's Causeway for natural beauty.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I would agree with the Ring of Kerry.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

p.s. I have some Irish travel books that you can borrow if you like.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nanohedron wrote:For what first comes to mind, I would definitely want to see Newgrange for ancient construction, and the Devil's Causeway for natural beauty.
Oops. That's two things. My bad. :P
trisha

Post by trisha »

Definately West Coast - Clare, Galway. Aran Islands are amazing. Two days is tight.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The one thing I would like to see in Ireland --- is myself, but alas it will have to be next year, my partner and I have choosen somewhere else to be this year.

I would like to be anywhere in the west of Ireland, even for two days.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Adare.

(Well, it IS pretty and it's south of The Burren and North of Kerry!)

Steve
(in Adare)
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Thanks all for the suggestions. As we are currently in the planning stages, I don't know what she'll be able to see. I had forgotten all about the Waterford crystal. Funny, since one of the places in our own country I am dreaming of visiting is the Corning Museum of Glass. I'd love to see some pics from that one!

I will make sure she gets to read this thread when I get home.

I think she'd like to see more than what you get in two days, but her sister's friends have insisted that there isn't anything interesting in Ireland, so they are going to be spending more time in France. huh.

-Patrick