Back from Vacation - for whoever is interested

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Back from Vacation - for whoever is interested

Post by Tyghress »

Okay...nitty gritty is that I just got back from our most recent trip to Ireland, and had a wonderful time. Highlights:

1) Meeting Peter Laban, who despite whatever he might say is a wonderful whistler. His love for the pipes and his skill with the music is evident, and he well deserves the respect he has from the musicians and residents of the area.

2) Three sessions in Clare, ranging from a fairly relaxed time at one place where I even joined in on a tune or two, and hopefully didn't do too badly, to a more exclusive session that included some of the older locals singing and dancing, and lovely music between U-pipes and concertina. When I asked Jackie Daly why the reed players always seemed to have the most fun he said that it was because he was from Slieve Luachra, (Luachra = "reeds")

3) A 'masters workshop' at a festival in Louisburgh where Tyghre and I sat in itty bitty chairs with 15 youngsters ranging in age from 4 to about 14. Afterward, one of the older girls in class told me I did very well, and I was VERY happy to hear the comment! The whole thing was sublimely absurd.

4) Meeting Michael Cronnolly of M&E Flutes and playing two of his whistles, and a few flutes. He is a gracious man, and gave me some valuable pointers in playing an Irish flute, getting the 'hard D', and embouchure. His whistles didn't suit me (big bore, rough sound, large lungs required... very different sound from what I'm used to) but oh, the Rudall and Rose is lovely!

5) Two sessions in Co. Sligo, one of which was very laid back. When pressured to play something I finally folded and played a jig that I did respectably on, but one of the older players mentioned off-handedly that it was a Clare jig....ooookay. I am now forewarned that I need to pay attention to what region I'm playing in, as well as hoping to pull it off without flubbing. Peter Horan, however, said I did well.

6) Playing Boys of Ballysodare in a wood in Ballysodare.

non-musically

7) Yeat's Grave and the sculpture of "He Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven"
8) A guided tour of 9 prehistoric sites including court tombs, portal tomb, stone ring, ring fort, Sheila-na-gig....
9) Two more round towers to my list

All in all, a great trip, even if I did catch a cold, weather was on the wetter side of mixed, and it was too short. I didn't buy a whistle, but I did get 10 CDs and we recorded six sessions for posterity.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyg,

great to have you back. Peter mentioned he took you along to Gleesons, and I am extremely jealous. Glad you had a great trip and I hope we'll get a chance for a chat soon (I'm buying), because you are going to have to tell me a whole lot more than this little teaser! :)

Best, regards to Tyghre the man himself.
/Bloomfield
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Tygress, you gonna make a habit of goin' to Ireland every year now, huh? I'm jealous! (HUGS!) At least you weren't hobbling around on a busted leg this time! Glad you had a great time!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Anna, as much as I'd like to, this won't be an annual, at least not this elaborate a trip. But it WAS nice to be able to amble around and climb the odd hill or two! I do hope your footsie is doing as well as mine is.

Actually, the next vacation (aside from the annual slide up the coast to Maine) will probably be to Santa Fe...silver, chile peppers, art galleries. . .
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Tyghress,

Welcome back!
Reasonable person
Walden
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Waaaa! I wanna go too!!! :cry:

:D

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you had a good time!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Welcome back Tyghress :D

Glad to hear you had such a terrific time. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Welcome back.

If ever you find yourself in Sligo again getting twigged for playing Clare tunes, just quip back at 'em: "Yeah, you lot seemed to need some livening up." Then give 'em a big smile. :D
Last edited by Nanohedron on Tue May 06, 2003 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Welcome back, Tyg, and thanks for the report. Further details always welcome in the chat room. :)

Carol
janice

Post by janice »

Tygress-was Joe O' Grady at the Sligo session along with Peter H.?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Janice, Peter H was the only fellow I knew the name of. The session at the Roisin Dubh was very quiet (max of 6, whereas last year it got to be well over 2 dozen!). If you could tell me what Joe plays, and what he looks like I might...MIGHT be able to tell you if he was there.
trisha

Re: Back from Vacation - for whoever is interested

Post by trisha »

Tyghress wrote:
4) Meeting Michael Cronnolly of M&E Flutes and playing two of his whistles, and a few flutes. He is a gracious man, and gave me some valuable pointers in playing an Irish flute, getting the 'hard D', and embouchure. His whistles didn't suit me (big bore, rough sound, large lungs required... very different sound from what I'm used to) but oh, the Rudall and Rose is lovely
Glad to hear you had a good time. Your comments on the M&E whistle mostly concur with what James has to say on his detailed page on his flute site. This is designed as a strong session whistle, so it is large bore and needs some air, although less than an Irish flute which is why I've happily ordered one. BUT, I don't hear the "rough sound" on his sound clips anywhere.

I would be interested in James' comment on this....
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I use the word "rough" almost as an opposite to "sweet and pure", and not as a derogative. On a purity scale of Gen to Hoover, this would be on the Gen end...very complex sound. On a volume scale, Hoover to Susato, I'd put it solidly in the Susato camp. More than likely in the right hands the whistle could be lovely, but I can't see it as anything but a sort of brassy, in-your-face kind of instrument...y'know? It feels made for someone who wants to really haul out and PLAY.

I think it was Bloomfield who talked about taking a blade and 'roughing it up' to get a certain sound...maybe that's where I got the adjective from.
trisha

Post by trisha »

Thanks for that, Tyghress - should be fine for noisy sessions then. Wasn't planning on playing it to serenade my llamas - have quieter whistles for that.

:)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyghress wrote: I think it was Bloomfield who talked about taking a blade and 'roughing it up' to get a certain sound...maybe that's where I got the adjective from.
Just to get the terminology straight: I "dull" a fipple blade to get a bit of a "rough" sound (and a stronger bottom end). But I "rough up" rec**der players, especially "dull" ones.
/Bloomfield