Keys other than D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
F&W Cassidy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Keys other than D

Post by F&W Cassidy »

I have only played whistles in the key of d. I wanted to know what it is like to play in other keys. I know that they are different notes, but can you finger the tunes your played on your d the same way you can on say a c? plus what are some nice keys, i mean like to play at sessions and stuff?
DCrom
antispam: No

Re: Keys other than D

Post by DCrom »

F&W Cassidy wrote:I have only played whistles in the key of d. I wanted to know what it is like to play in other keys. I know that they are different notes, but can you finger the tunes your played on your d the same way you can on say a c? plus what are some nice keys, i mean like to play at sessions and stuff?
The whistle is a transposing instrument: finger a "C" whistle the same way you would a "D" whistle and voila! you're playing in "C".

I haven't played in sessions - yet - so I'll let someone else field that one. But the range G, F, Eb, D, C, Bb is available from Generation if you want to try them out cheaply.

As a man with medium sized hands, I find anything smaller than an Eb too small to easily finger - I have about a dozen whistles ranging from Eb to Bb, with a Low D on order. Of the lot so far, it's hard to pick a favorite - different whistles work well for different tunes, but I like the C and Bb whistles more for slow airs and I like my Eb (a nickle Gen) a lot for faster tunes.

But even in the same key, whistles vary a lot - my Sweetones sound very different from my Generations, Feadogs, or Dixon. So try 'em all - even including the Dixon nontunable, the lot cost me - maybe - $100. (Though the Low D will double that all by itself).
binary_sunset

different keys

Post by binary_sunset »

D is, of course, the de facto standard for most Irish music, and I have noticed many other folk instruments from other cultures that are based in and around D and G.

For Irish music, I would think that a whistle in A (below high D) would be great, and I am placing an order for a Burke in A pretty soon. Cool for those rare (but lovely) D lydian tunes with the G#.

I have a personal sympathy with Eb, and have composed quite a bit for it... Eb allows for playing in Cm, Gm and related modalities fairly well also. I saw something a while back here that indicated people loved their Eb flutes because they required less air... though if you find a session playing in Eb, you will have to let me know. ;)

|binary_sunset|
F&W Cassidy

my whistles

Post by F&W Cassidy »

thanks for the info. i already know about generations full set just i am palying on buying a irish flute so i am saving my money. i am only 13, but have fairly large hands( i am about 5'5) and i tried a low d a few days ago and my hands hurt after playing it. Right now i have a walton little black whistle, a feadog, a clarke orginal (my favorite), and a homemade whistle that actually plays very well. i played a sweetone and i really like it so i play to get one of those.
binary_sunset

Whistle making...

Post by binary_sunset »

What did you make your whistle out of? I have a number of flutes that i have made out of various materials (bamboo, PVC pipe, etc.), but I haven't tried a whistle yet... I guess its the fipple bit that gets me, for the flute you just machine a hole.

Incidentally, I thought my homemade PVC flute was wonderful until I got my M&E flute... now I have to think. For $5 at the hardware store, the homemade sounds pretty darn good. The M&E?... well that one sounds like a $750 flute should sound. Amazing.

It's good to encounter another instrument maker.
[[now I know I'm either: A) not crazy or B) not alone]] ;)

|binary_sunset|
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

For Irish traditional music, the most useful non-D whistles are probably low-G, A, and C. The G allows you to play G tunes that go below D, and the A lets you play D tunes that go below D. C is probably the third or fourth most popular tune for IrTrad. If you're into non-trad folk, you might look into an E, while if you're into jazz, Bb and Eb are useful.

Playing-wise, anything below possibly Bb will feel a little different than a D. I tend to use piper's grip on most whistles below that (and even for some Bb and C whistles). That might throw you off a tad at the beginning, but it becomes second nature after awhile. The lower whistles also take quite a bit more air. Again, that might lead to gasping for breath initially, but you get used to finding more breathing spots.

Another interesting characteristic of lower whistles is that one such as a Burke or Water Weasel low-G really puts out a ton of sound, but it's not as penetrating as a high-D. I find playing those very satisfying, plus I take low whistles with me when I travel -- they bug your neighbors in the hotel or apartment a lot less.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

:D I just ordered my Chieftain Tunable Low-D/G. This will be my first Low D since learning to play the whistle.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Playing-wise, anything below possibly Bb will feel a little different than a D.
The second key of whistle that I got was Bb. I went from D to Bb and at first the stretch of the Bb seemed impossible but that was because I was only used to soprano Ds and now I can finger the Bb just fine after a while of doing it.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've been hearing more and more about Eb on these boards. I guess it's time to tweak my Shaw and try Eb in all it's glory.

Why are D and G so common in folk and traditional. Where did it begin?
Is there some primordial attraction to those particular wavelengths?

Oh sure, WE do it because that's what's available and common but somewhere along the line someone said, "Hey that sounds right let's call it D". And there was much rejoicing. Maybe it was those Pythagorans. With their Dodacahedrons and such!!!! They probably ate Marmite too.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jack

Post by Jack »

Why are D and G so common in folk and traditional. Where did it begin?
Is there some primordial attraction to those particular wavelengths?
I've been pondering that for a long time. I hope you get an answer, because I'm very interested as well.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I use D, C, A and low D in session regularly. For home pleasure, I think I prefer the A over all other whistles.

Another benefit of playing the A, or any of the lower keys for that matter, is that you learn better breath control. Try this: play a lower key for half an hour, then switch to your D and play the same tunes. You'll find that you have a lot more air than normal, and your fingers even work a bit faster.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Martin Milner

Re: my whistles

Post by Martin Milner »

F&W Cassidy wrote: I am only 13, but have fairly large hands( i am about 5'5) and i tried a low d a few days ago and my hands hurt after playing it.
Cassidy,

I'm betting you weren't using pipers grip on the Low D. I'm 5'10" and have quite large hands, but I can't play a Low D comfortably using normal fingertips hold. Down to an A I'm fine, I haven't tried a G yet, but by Low F I need to change my grip.

There's a description of Pipers grip somewhere on this site, but in brief, you cover the holes with the fleshy pads between your knuckles rather than with the fingertips - move one knuckle up & you're there. This should ease any strain on the fingers. Some people use this grip with one hand and normal with the lower hand, adjust as necessary.

The hole spacing on Low Ds also varies - I can't remember which makes have the least spacing (suitable for smaller hands) but the Dixon is quite reasonable, and is very light compared to a solid metal whistle like an Overton, so you tend to grip less hard, thus straining the fingers less.

So don't give up all hope on a low D, you can probably still play one with practise, and have some growth left to you anyway!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
F&W Cassidy

Whistles

Post by F&W Cassidy »

Thanks for all the help you guys gave me. i played an M&E flute and that is what i plan to buy. The whistle i made is made out of brass. These are the instructions i use [url]http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/6611/makewhis.htm. [/url]
The whistle really works very well and if anyone wants to make a whistle they should follow these instructions. If you would like to see a picture of the whistle emial me at Cobrapunk427@aol.com
also does anyone know how to post images
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

[img]your%20http:%20image%20goes%20here[/img]
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Rhino

Post by Rhino »

F&W asked a good question. Could I please ask for a little more clarification. Like F&W I have only played a D whistle (I have several). If I were to buy a Bb whistle and wanted to play the same song I played on the D would I finger it just the same? On the music staff for the D whistle the D note occupies the space immediately below the bottom line and I play it with all six holes covered. On the Bb would I play the same note with all six holes covered? A related question- if I look at music and see a note two or three spaces below the musical staff is there any way to play those notes? A rookie just wants to know. Thanks for any help :party:
tw4ever