Finally Found A Copy of Micho Russell Book

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feadóg80
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish trad music and have been playing whistle for a couple of years. I mainly play a Killarney brass whistle.

Finally Found A Copy of Micho Russell Book

Post by Feadóg80 »

I had been searching for a copy of "The Piper's Chair" by Micho Russell for years, and could never find any copies on eBay, or any secondhand sites. Amazon only had ridiculously overpriced used copies for $125+. Then, about a week ago, I randomly check on Amazon and see two used copies for $18 and $22. I jumped and ordered both copies just because both had a shipping time of a couple of weeks, and I was afraid that something could happen. If I ended up with two I'd just give one away to another whistle player that would want it. I've had bad experiences with items that are given long shipping periods, often getting a message a week or two later that the item could not be located or some other excuse. Sure enough, a week later, one of the seller's sent me a message saying the book was damaged in transit and I would not be receiving it, so they were refunding me. A few days later, though, I received the other one and was so glad to finally have a copy. Micho Russell is my favorite whistle player and I try to get everything by him that I can find, whether it be recordings or writings. I came across an autobiography written by him when I was in his hometown of Doolin in 2019. It was a very short stop in Doolin as I was only there to catch the ferry out to Inis Oírr.

Mr.Gumby

Re: Finally Found A Copy of Micho Russell Book

Post by Mr.Gumby »

So, which Piper's chair did you get: the Ossian one or vol 2?

Micho was forever trying to sell the next volume of his self published photocopied output and tapes. With hindsight they're nice to have but at the time I never got them from him as I felt they weren't all that useful (I still think that but now they are nice to have as a memory of the man) or at least there were collections/books I needed/wanted more urgently at the time. Ah well the things we could have done differently..
My brain hurts

Feadóg80
Tell us something.: I love Irish trad music and have been playing whistle for a couple of years. I mainly play a Killarney brass whistle.

Post by Feadóg80 »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:02 pm So, which Piper's chair did you get: the Ossian one or vol 2?

You were here looking for it four years ago but never downloaded the pics offered. Micho was forever trying to sell the next volume of his self published photocopied output and tapes. With hindsight they're nice to have but at the time I never got them from him as I felt they weren't all that useful (I still think that but they are nice to have as a memory of the man). Ah well the things we could have done differently..
I had a much older laptop at the time that had basically become useless. I was relying on going to my aunt's and using her computer to get anything done that couldn't be done at work, since she is only a short walk from my house. Medical bills were pretty much eating up most of my spare money. Even sold my Burke whistle to help with the bills. I finally upgraded my laptop, but completely forgot about the pics.

It's the Ossian one, BTW.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

PDFs, urgh, autocorrect.

Anyhow, still have a load of Micho related stuff sitting online, If you want it (mostly scanned articles, some photos and books but also the Under the Cliffs of Moher tape).

There's also this on the Clare library site:
Micho Russell, bibliography and discography , which may give you more stuff to chase up.

There were more of the self published booklets that he had that aren't listed there but those were very hard to chase up at a 25 or so year remove.

His anniversary is coming up too, next week, come to think of it.
My brain hurts