whistle movies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
blackhawk
antispam: No

whistle movies

Post by blackhawk »

I just read the post about the movie called War of the Buttons. It made me wonder how many movies we can come up with that have whistles in them? I can think of a few.

1: The Devil's Own, at the party after the christening of the daughter, one of the musicians is playing a Gen.

2: Road to Perdition, at the beginning of the movie there's a party scene and it appears one of the group is playing low whistle.

And now my mind goes blank, but I know I've seen more.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

The Chieftains did several,

Babe: Pig in the City(I've not seen that BTW)
Treasure Island (lots of good whistling in this one, especially the opening number)
Rob Roy
Barry Lyndon
Circle of Friends
Ireland Moving

And I'm sure they've done some others.

What about Braveheart, Titanic and Gangs of New York?

There's probably too many to count.
No I'm not returning...
rbm

Post by rbm »

wasn't rob roy cappercaille?
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

They might have been in it too, but I know O'Sullivan's March is in there and that's a Chieftain tune, played by the Chieftains.
No I'm not returning...
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I spotted a few a couple of weeks back, here are a few I remember:

Glory - (around the campfire)
Fellowship of the Ring - (Bilbo's Party)
Harry Potter & TPS - (Hagrid playing by his cabin)
Waking Ned - (the funeral procession)
Titanic - (in the 3rd class section)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

I think Tuck Everlasting... If my memory is working properly.

I am sure I have heard plenty more.

What about the John Wayne movie.. Is it called The Quiet Man?

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
StarrM

Post by StarrM »

How about The Shipping News... I love the soundtrack from it.

Starr
Bartleby

Luck of the Irish

Post by Bartleby »

Last year, while watching Nickelodeon with my son, I caught this movie with Henry Gibson as a whistle playing leprechaun. Although it's basically for kids, there's a lot of Irish dancing, music, and, especially, whistle playing! In once scene, Henry takes out a Clarke and starts to toot away. A girl turns to him and says "do you HAVE to do that?" Henry replies "of course, I'm Irish!"
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

hillfolk22 wrote:I think Tuck Everlasting... If my memory is working properly.

I am sure I have heard plenty more.

What about the John Wayne movie.. Is it called The Quiet Man?

Laura
I haven't seen the new version of Tuck Everlasting, but on the first version Grey Larsen did the muisc.

-brett
McHaffie

Oh yeah!

Post by McHaffie »

Cool, this gives me a chance to ask others... anyone else ever seen this movie???

The Nephew

Has a few well known actors in it... it's about a young man who goes to ireland to live with his uncle after his mother dies. There's some sort of bad blood with an old boyfriend of hers over there between the boyfriend and the uncle... ends up that the Uncle is the one that ran off his sister by interfering with the relationship and causing her to go to the US to get away. Of course there's a ton more detail to all of that stuff....

Of course, in the end there is redemption for all. Mom / Sister's ashes get thrown to the wind from atop the point overlooking to ocean as she wished finally. .. etc.

I had never even heard of this movie, and then saw it on a late night show on regular TV one night. It can't be too awfully old... only a few years at most from the actors involved and their 'look and age'. Especially one of them.

Take care,
John

Oh... there was a pennywhistle .. a Generation D I believe, that was focused on as the camera went from instrument to instrument during an 'after service' for Mom. It was unfortunately being 'air played' or 'faked' but it wasn't too awfully terrible... but pretty obvious to anyone who plays! :lol:
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

rbm wrote:wasn't rob roy cappercaille?
Capercaillie was featured on the Rob Roy soundtrack along with The Chieftains and members of Skyedance among others. In the scene with the ceilidh by the fireside it was Capercaillie performing with band's singer, Karen Matheson, singing the peurt a beul.

Even though the Pure Moods and Celtic Moods CDs are rather corny the first Celtic Moods CD does feature some good music inlcuding two tracks from Rob Roy as well as Matt Molloy, Sharon Shannon, Christy Moore, Paul Brady, and the Waterboys.

Cheers,
Aaron
starman

Whistle Movies

Post by starman »

I'm sure the sound track for "Far and Away" has some whistling somewhere but I haven't listened to it for a long time.

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
blackhawk

Re: Oh yeah!

Post by blackhawk »

McHaffie wrote:Cool, this gives me a chance to ask others... anyone else ever seen this movie???

The Nephew

Has a few well known actors in it...
Pierce Brosnan is in it. I do remember that.
pthouron

WHISTLE MOVIES

Post by pthouron »

There seem to be more and more indeed. However, it appears the bulk of the playing is being done by Eric Rigler (who is mostly famous for the Uillean Pipes but also plays low whistles). He did Braveheart, Titanic (Hymn to The Sea), Road to Perdition and a couple of TV Shows (including the infamous "Dawson's Creek"...)
BTW, Eric also plays w/ Alisdair Fraser in Skyedance and has his own band called BadHaggis, which is best described as Scottish/World/Fusion pipe band (pipes, electric guitar and bass, drums) and is A LOT of fun.
There is a website at http://www.badhaggis.com where you can get their two CDs. "Trip" is the best in my opinion.

As an added title, I think you can hear some in "Local Hero" as well.