Sam Murray Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Irish Terrier
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sam Murray Flute

Post by Irish Terrier »

Hi there folks,

I am asking you for a little assistance if you could.

Does anyone play a Sam Murray Flute, to get an idea on how good they may be. I am thinking of ordering one and a friend said to me that he is the best flute maker about anywhere.

Would this be true?

Cheers,

Seamus
kenr

Post by kenr »

Is Harry Bradley a good enough recommendation, he plays D and Eb flutes by Sam on his last CD.

A friend has a Murray in Eb and it's something I really covet!!

Ken
RobBBQ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

Its a lie! Gilles Lehart is the best flute maker! He uses copper!

;)
R
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Dude: Copley, Copley, Copley........... :boggle:
Mary
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I believe Barry Kerr also plays a Murray.
A fellow at the session here in Denver plays a keyed one. Save for the barrel crack, nice flute.
I'm told that Sam is a bit hard to reach at times, for whatever that's worth.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

A few recording artists who have played Sam Muuray flutes on their CDs:

Barry Kerr, Emer Mayock, John Wynne, Desi Wilkinson, Michael Clarkson, John Creaven, Justin Murphy, Liam Kelly (Dervish).

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Irish Terrier

Murray Flute

Post by Irish Terrier »

Thanks everyone for you input, I am going to order a Sam Murray Flute. I have been told he now lives in Galway. I heard several flutes first hand which are considered fine instruments(kind offer by a couple of flute players who own these flutes). Hamiltom, Lambe, Seery, Ginsberg and I thought the Murray and Hamilton stood out from the rest, with the Murray taking the top spot, in my opinion anyway. So, I will for sure order a Sam Murray with 3 keys £525 which is fantastic value for such an instrument with 1 year wait

Thanks again,

Seamus
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

As Sam's living in Galway now he's probably changed his prices to Euros so be sure to ask him for the current price when you talk with him.

And try not to hold him (or any other flute maker) to the one-year waiting period. Delivery date estimates from fine craftspeople are usually very approximate and should not be taken as promises; don't be surprised if you end up waiting longer, even a few years longer. It'll be worth the wait.
brendan

Post by brendan »

I have 3 flutes by Sam Murray, one keyless and the other two are six keyed flutes. The keyless I have about twenty years and the others about three years or so, each one has never cracked or ever give me trouble. They have great volume,tone and flexabilty for mood changes in playing also they play great in harmonic octives and you can get right up to third octive A. Great flutes made by a great man........!!

Slan.
Irish Terrier

Murray Flute

Post by Irish Terrier »

Thanks folks,
I have ordered the flute from Sam Murray, 3 keys and he price I was given was £625 which was confirmed by the man himself and I have been told he can be a bit unreliable on meeting his timetable. He said to me he has more time to put into his work now as he had a lot of distractions in Belfast.

I have a Dixon ABW 2 piece which is not bad at all and I will be happy to work away with it until I recieve the Murray wand.

Ta Brendan for the confidence in placing my order, I believe the Murray is fantastic and will be worth waiting for, even if it takes 2 years. They to me sound completely outstanding.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Good choice! Can't go wrong with a Murray. While I never owned one (yet) I've always admired his flutes and price.