Chris Bayley Pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Irish Terrier
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chris Bayley Pipes?

Post by Irish Terrier »

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum but have been using this forum for a while for valuable informatin. I have a practice set (Robbie Hughes) really like it, sounds sweet and easy to play. The chanter is what has been discribed as a student chanter, without keys or block mounts.

I have been looking at several makers web sites and as I am in England for the next year or so, I have been thinking of a full set. Chris Bayley seems to be great value? can anyone advice me of his pipes. I don't like the Taylor key system, looks crude!

I have been playing for 8 months and I am self taught (or self learning to be more accurate) from Heather Clarkes fantastic tutor.

Any information will be very much appreciated, thanking you all in advance.

Seamus
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Seamus,
Welcome to C&F!
While I have no experience with Chris' pipes I will say his website is very informative. He has posted to the board a few times. http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/
Have you contacted him directly to see his workshop and get to hear his pipes first hand?
Irish Terrier

Chris Bayley Pipes?

Post by Irish Terrier »

Thanks Tony, Chris must have seen my post and had been in touch with me before I got in touch with him. His site seems very informitive and he also seems very willing to help with enquiries. Chris also offered a look round his workshop and some of the pipes he has ready at the moment.

Seamus
sammyd

Post by sammyd »

Irish Terrier,

On your profile it lists your location as Adelaide. Is this Adelaide, Australia?
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Nothing beats seeing and hearing sets by as many different makers as you can before picking.
Different styles suit different players.
This has been discussed numerous times on this forum....don't rush to buy...meet a few players, go to a few pipers meetings, and you'll build up the knowledge that you need to get the right set for you.

Personally, I'd stick with the Hughes chanter and spend my next few hundred pounds of piping money on getting to Willie week or a tionol in Ireland....[or come up to Strathspey in May]...but get out there and investigate!!

Good Luck

Boyd
www.strathspeyinmay.com
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Hello Seamus.Welcome..I don't know where this term "student Chanter" crept in from because it is far from accurate and implies that it must be inferior to what else?? a " Graduate Chanter"!!!
It is a perfectly playable Uilleann Pipe Chanter without keys,as has been said on this forum before you can get all the notes on a good chanter without keys by cross fingering.A Robbie Hughes Chanter without keys is a better chanter than some with keys.
As for the ribbon keys on the regs (aka Taylor Bros)they are very sturdy and won't bend or go out of shape as some of its narrower cousins do and the springs will last as long as the set.
So happy pipering and if your happy with the HughesUILLEANN PIPE CHANTER KEEP IT!!!!(keys , if you must, can easily be added to it on pin mounts!)
Slan go foill
Liam :party:
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Well said Uilliam, :wink:
I've seen loads of older chanters without keywork
and I would not call them practice chanters either. 8
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Were these older chanters blocked for keys?
Irish Terrier

Chris Bayley Pipes?

Post by Irish Terrier »

Thank you everyone who replied and gave his or her advice.

Sammyd, yes I'm from Australia, but I will be in England until next Feb.

Hi Boyd, there is no way I would part with my Hughes chanter, I love its sweet tone and to me is as good as any others I have heard. I have heard the description student chanter on the board and the chanter I have doesn't contain block mounts and the only note I have ever needed so far, is C nat and it cross fingers easily.

Thanks Liam and Stew, I will refrain from that term Student Chanter as you say it degrades the chanter and this chanter doesn't deserve to be degraded.

Thanks all for everything, I purchased a second hand Rogge set and I am using the Hughes chanter on it and I am getting used to playing drones at present.

I have also been told that Achill Island would be better for learning and I am thinking of going to there this year if I find accommodation to stay.

Ever grateful,
Seamus
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Achill is also great for fishing...so take a rod!

Boyd
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Hi Tony,
yes I have seen sets were chanters without keys and with no key blocks are being played with half and full sets on the NPU :wink: there are a lot of older chanters out there unkeyed that players would die for all my chanters have no key blocks apart from one that has a C natural key I feel its the only Key really needed, a lot of the old Coyne and Egan sets did'nt have keys or blocks to me a Chanter is a Chanter? keyed or unkeyed I would'nt think any different of a player who played with an unkeyed chanter you might find that he may not need a keyed chanter and he's getting most of his notes with cross fingering on a good chanter I've heard some brilliant pipe playing on some right olde crappy looking pipes some pipers think its great having pipes like these and like to show up other pipers with flashy looking sets with there playing. 8)