CD question Whiste & Guitar Cormac Breathnach Martin Dun

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CD question Whiste & Guitar Cormac Breathnach Martin Dun

Post by TonyHiggins »

Anyone heard it, like it, dislike it, etc? It's sold by Custy's Music. Comments on type of tunes?
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I have both 'Music For Whistle And Guitar' and 'Musical Journey', and I like both of them.
I refer to Cormac as 'the Kenny G of the whistle world' though, and his probably isn't the kind of music that traditionalists will enjoy.
Many of his renditions of traditional tunes are barely recognizable, but his skill with the instrument still makes for enjoyable listening.
If you don't mind a refreshingly different style of whistle playing, you'll enjoy Cormac, and Martin is also a very talented guitarist.
'Music For Whistle And Guitar' is worth having just for Cormac's rendition of 'Down By The Glenside' and Martin's solo guitar rendition of 'Music Box'.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

While we're on the subject of CDs, I've been meaning to recommend 'Sean's Dance' by 'Harpsong' for a while now, but I've kept forgetting to.
I know Tony has mentioned before that 'The King Of The Fairies' is a favorite of his, and the version on the above mentioned CD is breathtakingly beautiful.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hi Tony, I think its a pleasant CD but I don't listen to it much. I bought it mainly for that really cool version of "Foggy Dew" with all the jazz chords and all. Cormac Breatnach is a really great player for adding a subtle melodic jazz slant to his playing, up there with the likes of Mike McGoldrick and all. The variations in his playing are also very impressive - I once learnt a fast version of Sidhe Beag Sidhe Mhor from his recording and learning all the variations was fun.

However I felt that the CD bored me after a while. Apart from a few outstanding tunes like the abovementioned Foggy Dew and Man of the House/Shores of Lough Reagh set, I wasn't much stimulated by most of the tracks. I found his "Musical Journey" to be a better, more well-rounded CD - though I don't listen to much of that now either.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks for the responses. I like McGoldrick's Fused. I don't care for the McNalley Every Breath, and I like McKenna's Irish Low Whistle, which I know a lot of people don't care for. It sounds like the Breathnach cd is in that ballpark? And just to be provocative, I like Davy Spillane's low whistle cd (blanking the name.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Tony,If you like mcgoldrick's 'Fused' and McKenna's 'low whistle' (esp. the track where he plays that low Bb Bansuri),then I think that you will enjoy Cormac's music. 'Musical journey' features a great arrangement of 'Port B'Pucai'-very,very atmospheric. 'Foggy dew' from 'Guitar and Tinwhistle' is very good.
As already mentioned,Cormac is good at spinning jazzy variations on tunes (that great version of Si Beg,was recorded with his previous band,'Deiseal')
Cormac certainly isn't yer Trad man,but I wouldn't damn him as 'The Kenny G of the whistle!
I should also add that on 'Musical Journey',Cormac plays Susato 'C' (and makes it sound good, I almost bought one because of him),Cillian O'Brien low D,and Goldie Overton Low 'F' (so maybe I should have a re-listen,and see how a master sounds like on this horn)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Okay, I'm intrigued......

Where can I buy those CD's?

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
raindog1970

Post by raindog1970 »

raindog1970 wrote:While we're on the subject of CDs, I've been meaning to recommend 'Sean's Dance' by 'Harpsong' for a while now, but I've kept forgetting to.
I know Tony has mentioned before that 'The King Of The Fairies' is a favorite of his, and the version on the above mentioned CD is breathtakingly beautiful.
I just discovered that the group 'Harpsong' is on MP3.com, and their version of 'The King Of The Fairies' is a free download.
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/73/harpsong.html
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪