One-key flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

One-key flutes

Post by chas »

I had always thought the idea of a one-key flute was kind of odd. If I were gonna put one key on, I'd probably start with G# or Fnat, with Eb probably fourth or fifth. Then I read somewhere recently that a one-key is fully chromatic (for all intents and purposes, presumably) through use of the one key and cross-fingering. I've got a few keyless, 4-, 6-, and 8-keys, and none of them cross-finger much beyond Cnat and possibly G#. Is the hole-pattern of a 1-key something special, and if so, why don't keyless flutes use this? Or is the chromaticity through half-holing, and the key is there because the D hole is too small?

TIA, Charlie
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

There's a really superb book "Method for the One-Keyed Flute" by Janice Boland. It has detailed history of the flute, and detailed fingering charts.

It describes directly fingered notes as strong notes. The fingering is the same, at least in the low octave, and second octave, as the keyless flute, except the key is used for F# (same holes covered) and Eb. These are the strong notes. Cross fingered notes are described as weak notes. In addition to cross fingering choices, like the unkeyed flute, the key provides some additional fingering choices for a weak note. What works on one type of one keyed flute, may not work well on another. So, like the unkeyed flute, you have to experiment to find the best fingering combinations.

It's a lot like a simple unkeyed flute, except for some more fingering options supported by the key.

No reason to run out and buy one, unless you are into playing baroque music on an instrument representative of that musical period.

Bill
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You know, the theory of relativity applies to so many things. I don't mind cross-figering or half holing most incidentals, but I just hate D#s and think a one key flute would be very useful!
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

I agree, but not on a baroque flute which would lack volume.

Bill
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I definitely agree not on a Baroque flute - although they're great for period music. I was thinking a one key Seery or M&E myself...
shoner

Post by shoner »

Big holed simple system flutes do not cross finger very well. Baroque flutes are chromatic with one key because the holes, including the embouchure, are about half the size of what you'd find on the Seery. You can modulate the pitch quite a bit but you lose in volume and consistency of tone. Simply putting an Eb key on a Seery will not improve cross fingerings in any way nor make it chromatic. It's appealing to have a chromatic flute, but if you play I-trad you can survive quite nicely with no keys. If you have a flute with an F natural and G# key you can play just about any Celtic tune with the exception of the Cape Breton stuff which is frequently in Bb.
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

Then there is the Healy keyless fully chromatic flute.

http://www.skiphealy.com/frames/fr_instruments.htm

Bill
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

Of course, there's always an open hole wood Boehm flute... It has the best chromatics out there.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :wink:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

if I could have just one key on flute, it would be a
c natural key.