Dixon piccolo: sanitize, quarantine, or play?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Dixon piccolo: sanitize, quarantine, or play?

Post by Dan A. »

Earlier today, the mailman delivered my Dixon piccolo. I suspect it may have been lightly used or a display model, as it had a hang tag tied around it. Just as I was about to play a tune, I remembered the world's current situation and reconsidered. Though I'm eager to try it out, sanitizing or quarantining it may be a sage idea.

If I go the sanitizing route, I want to do it properly. I'm not sure what material the head is made of, and therefore what chemicals may be harmful. There is also what looks like a piece of cork inside the head, and I wouldn't want that to be ruined. What would be the best way to sanitize it? Or is one of my other two options better?

I did put my Dixon whistle head on the piccolo body, and as I expected, it sounded very nice. Since the piccolo is in good shape, and I got it at about a 66% discount, I'm not at all upset if it was lightly used or a store display.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Dixon piccolo: sanitize, quarantine, or play?

Post by fatmac »

I normally run some reasonably hot water with some soap or washing up liquid through any that I get pre used, (check the windway on a whistle, & if in doubt use something fairly soft but stiff enough to run through it, like a feather).

If it's new you can just leave it for 2 to 3 days, & it should be clear of any potential virus contact.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

If I can't wash something with soap and water, then throughly dry I give it a week before I stick it in my mouth. Though I do eat carry out meals, so there may be some inconsistency there. If it came through the mail you can add the time it spend in transit to whatever time you want to rest it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

busterbill wrote:Though I do eat carry out meals, so there may be some inconsistency there.
Priorities. I'm unwilling to give sandwich fermentation a try, myself.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

The US National Institute of Health says Covid-19 lasts on hard surfaces like plastic and stainless steel for 2 to 3 days. If it were me, I'd just wait 4 days to play an instrument arriving in the mail. Less if it was in transit for a while.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-res ... 0deposited.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

Nanohedron wrote:I'm unwilling to give sandwich fermentation a try, myself.
Naturally, I read that just before I started eating dinner.

The tracking showed that USPS picked it up at 1200 Central time on 23 September. With a baseline of 168 hours, I'm looking at holding off until 1300 (or 1:00 PM for those who don't understand and/or are averse to the 24-hour time format) Eastern time on 30 September. 42 years passed before I knew I wanted a piccolo, so waiting another 43 hours to give it a whirl isn't terrible.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Warm soapy water for 20 seconds.
Just like hand washing. Rinse well.
The cork will be fine.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

I'll do that if temptation gets the better of me.