The Brothers McMullen

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Brothers McMullen

Post by Tyghress »

I'm sure its been mentioned here at least once, but seeing as I just saw the movie last night, I figured I'd drop a note. This indie movie has some great music, including a lot of whistle. Seamus Egan and Eileen Ivers are two of the musicians (I believe Egan actually did the scoring of the whole thing). The movie is above par, but pretty rife with stereotypes. But the music is definitely above average!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

He he, it sounds like Lake Wobegone <i>Where all the men are handsome,all the women are beautiful and all the children are above average.</i> Thanks for the critique Tigger! :P
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

I remember enjoying the movie's music a great deal, however, I had Seamus' solo works before I watched the movie and everything in the movie was pilfered from his previous solo relaeases (possibly just his first solo work, my memory is not that good). I do remember watching the movie last year and remembering every note and passage from the Egan CD and noting where the movie editors cut and paste parts of the tune to make the tune fit the movie and sacrafice the pulse of the music.

To keep from rambling on and on, after watching the movie, I knew I already had all the tunes from the sound track already in my collection by having the Seamus Egan solo CDs (and some Sarah McLachlan CDs that never get any play lately).

Good stuff.
carrie

Post by carrie »

My recollection is that most of the music is on Egan's CD Week in January.

Carol
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

That soundtrack is absolutely stunning. Yes, it represents work selected primarily from two of his previous CDs (see Dale's review on his main site for his description), but for anyone who is thinking of purchasing just one Seamus CD, I like to think of it as a "best of" compilation. ;)

I should point out that of the CDs I have at work, this is the one most likely to be borrowed by others. Even my peers love it!

Jef
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Nothing like bringing to life a 3 year old thread!

Well, I saw Brothers McMullen for the first time last night. What a craptacular movie. I suppose the story was decent, but the stereotypes (add in as many Guinness bottles, Ireland t-shirts and "I'm Irish-Catholic"s as you can) were unbearable especially since it was a double-bill with Angela's Ashes before it, one of the greatest movies ever made IMO.

But all that is besides the point, the reason I kept with it (for awhile, I couldn't stand it beyond 40 minutes) was the whistle solo at the beginning, which I figured set it up to be a great movie, and then some great flute playing for a couple seconds about 20 minutes in. I can find these tunes on Week in January then? Thanks,

Brian
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

This is hysterical...I don't remember the movie OR the fact that I wrote the initial post. I guess it was pretty forgettable. But it could NOT be as bad as I found Boys and Girl from County Clare.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Oh, it was worse! :lol: And I didn't like that one either.