Has anyone heard of......

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Has anyone heard of......

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm looking for an inexpensive bamboo flute. I don't want to wait years for it so Olwell is out.
While searching the web I found a couple of sites and didn't find any results when searching this forum.

www.sideblown.com. Has anyone ever played any of his flutes?

Also a site called Apollo's Axe. They advertise a variety of instruments but no brand names.

What about the 'cane' flutes advertised on Lark?

I've actually been thinking of checking with Erik since I"ve seen good things on this site about his work.
Thanks
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Has anyone heard of......

Post by johnkerr »

geek4music wrote:I'm looking for an inexpensive bamboo flute. I don't want to wait years for it so Olwell is out.
Who ever told you that you'd have to wait years for an Olwell bamboo flute? Weeks, maybe a couple of months at most is the wait time for Olwell bamboos. Last I heard, you can get them from the House Of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park, MD, or better yet by contacting Patrick himself. Admittedly, Patrick is occasionally inaccessible, for instance when he's away in Ireland, but those trips last only a month or two, not years. And he or his representatives set up shop at various Ren Fairs and festivals during the summer festival season, where you can just walk up and buy a bamboo flute right on the spot. So I ask again, where do you get this idea of years of wait for an Olwell bamboo?
WistleEnvy

Post by WistleEnvy »

The only bamboo flute that I have any experience with is Steven Cox's flutes. He has a web site www.tallgrasswinds.com . He is very friendly and his flutes are wonderful.

BTW I didn't think that the wait for an Olwell bamboo was years, only a few weeks.

Good luck!
Colin
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks Colin. I will check out tallgraswinds.

Try not to panic Johnkerr. Have some water and a rest. Here's a quote from House of Musical Traditions:
NOTE: Demand for these flutes is very high and the waiting list is extremely long at this time. We will be happy to take your name if you are interested in an Olwell flute, but the wait time will be at least 6-12 months, possibly longer.
Granted it is not "years" but isn't weeks either. I'd certainly wait for an Olwell if the wait is only in weeks.
I would love to find one at a Renfaire or craft show. But I haven't yet.

Now let me ask again. Has anyone ever heard of Apollo's Axe or sideblown.com?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've never heard of Apollo's Axe or sideblown.com. Personally, I'd stick with a bamboo flute maker that has been heard of on this board and is well respected. That leaves you with:

1) Patrick Olwell
2) Erik the Flutemaker (be aware I've read his finger spacing on the last hole is designed for using your pinky on and not your ring finger - I wouldn't like this myself).
3) Steve Cox of Tallgrass Winds.

I just glanced at the Sideblown website, and his flutes look good and his comments on flute construction seem proper to me (I've made a few bamboo flutes myself --- granted they were'nt that good but I learned from it and play to build again in the future when I have more time). You could be the first review on this board if you bought one.

Personally, I'd try calling Patrick directly or buying one of Steve Cox's which have also gotten rave reviews (I just object to that Pinky thing which I saw mentioned on sideblown.com, too). I would avoid at all costs any bamboo flute that doesn't name the maker.

Eric
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks Eric. I sent Erik The Flutemaker an email on availablility for his G. I'll try contacting Patrick Olwell as well.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Oh, if you're thinking of a G flute, then the last finger spacing thing isn't an issue. Any of the named makers would be great.

Eric
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Hey Geek I have a C flute from here: http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com/peteross/ and I`m telling ya it is a thing of beauty. It has a rose wood lip plate, the finish is unbelievable, it is bound all over the place and the finger holes are offset for easy playing. Now grant it mine is big and even with the offset holes it is quite a reach for the right hand but the tone is incredible. The guy mades Sakuhachi and transverse flutes in many keys. Don`t know if there is a waiting list or not. But for sure they deserve a look. I have one of Eriks flutes in F and the stretch is not bad at all but the holes are huge. I just got a Bb fron Zucciah and it is a little sweety. Haven`t got an Olwell yet but soon. Have fun with your search and heck try something we have never heard of. You might find a gem in the rough. :boggle:

Tom
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Uh...
Why not just call Patrick and order one of his absolutely awesome bamboo flutes. They're cheap. They're awesome. He'll have one to you in a couple of weeks. The longest I've ever waited for a bamboo flute from him is three weeks.
His flutes are incredible. There's no reason to buy any other type of bamboo flute, especially if you intend to use the flute to play Irish music.
Chris
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Tom - those are nice looking flutes! They're also the most expensive bamboo flutes I've ever seen. How do they sound in comparison to, lets say, your Rosewood Dixon?

Speaking of your Dixon...do you like it? What are your thoughts on it? It might be worth a new thread since Tony's wood flutes have not been discussed too much.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:Uh...
There's no reason to buy any other type of bamboo flute, especially if you intend to use the flute to play Irish music.
Chris
Unless you're in Europe, in which case yer man is Chris Dawson (Rhiannon Flutes), which are every bit as good as the Olwell bamboos I've played.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

True Brad, true! Didn't McGoldrick play Rhiannon flutes on Morning Glory?
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:True Brad, true! Didn't McGoldrick play Rhiannon flutes on Morning Glory?
Yep, but make that Morning Rory! Also Brian Finnegan plays or used to play Rhiannon bamboo flutes; he also plays Olwell bamboos.

I have one in G and it's great.
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I'll check all of the sites mentioned and I will call Mr. Olwell regarding a flute!

I'll also go to cloudandmusic. It seems there's a lot of choices but if I had my druthers I'd go with the Olwell.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Erik; mine is in C and is very big, about 25 1/2 in in length, but the diameter is not bad and the finger holes are offset. It is pretty loud with a real strong bell note. Easy to fill and truely a beautiful tone. I got it from a fellow chiffer who could not make the stretch on the tone holes. The pictures on the website do not do justice to the actual look and feel of the flute.
Dixon impressions coming up.

Tom