G flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

G flute?

Post by jim stone »

I would like a G flute, so that I can play in C.
I have one in bamboo that I picked up
in New Mexico. It's a bit flat and the wood is
soft--want something that sounds better.
Skip Healy has a blackwood D with silver fittings
for 650 dollars--well, I'm sure it's worth it
but I don't have the bucks and I suppose there
must be a good simple system unkeyed
G flute out there for considerably less.

I once tried to get hold of Tony Dixon
by e mail about this, but couldn't.
Any suggestions? Thanks
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'm assuming you mean the G higher than a D-flute. Olwell makes a G-flute in bamboo. It won't be too pricy and will have dead-on tone. I hear they smell nice too. I plan on buying one soon.
Cheers,
Aaron
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: G flute?

Post by herbivore12 »

jim stone wrote:I would like a G flute, so that I can play in C.
. . .
Any suggestions? Thanks
Well, in the thread titled "newbie aks. . .what about Eb flutes, the last page contains this nugget from mjmtex (I think):

"Anyways, he [Bryan Byrne] mentioned hearing a rumor about an Eb flat of his cracking a glass. He, not being connected to the internet world, asked that I set the record straight on the board. It was an Olwell Bamboo G flute that shattered an unopened orange soda bottle on the bar. According to Bryan, he and Patrick Olwell were in a pub in Sligo, having a pint and catching up. Another fellow was next to them blasting away on the bamboo flute (really, really loud) when the bottled shattered. The bar tender told the lad to take it outside or else he'd be buying more than some busted bottles. Bryan said he and Patrick were pretty shocked, never seeing that happen before."

So maybe an Olwell bamboo would work for you, unless you're set on a conical hardwood or polymer flute.

I have a bamboo flute in G-*minor* from Erik the Flutemaker which is actually quite good; I also have a bamboo D from him which sounds fine, but the stretch and hole size are too much for me to deal with comfortably. A G from him would be pretty cheap, and probably get to you quickly. The flutes I got from him are all in tune and not "soft" at all, though they may not have the Olwell magic. The G-minor I have can blast pretty loudly, but it wouldn't work for trad, obviously.

I've often wondered how the flutes from the fellow at http://www.tallgrasswinds.com/ would sound; they look quite nice, and are reasonably priced. Anyone tried one from this source?

Good luck in your search.

--Aaron
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks. I have an Olwell bamboo D, which is beautifully finished
but which I still can't help but play a bit flat--though
it's improving as my embouchure improves.
I'm hoping to find something more like a celtic
flute, of harder wood than bamboo (e.g. blackwood).
I don't see why a good one of these in G should have
to cost a very great deal of money. Best
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I've never tried an Olwell Bamboo flute,let alone one of his 'G' flutes,but I feel that I should draw your attention to Paul McGrattan's latest album 'Keelwest'.Paul uses an Olwell bamboo 'F' flute on three tracks and it sounds great! The tuning sounds spot on and the tone is really rich-I would imagine that the 'G' would have similar qualities.I may be tempted to get one myself!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

Just a note about Steven Cox at Tallgrass winds.I have one of his D flutes and am very pleased with it .Noticably smaller diameter than D flutes from Zachiah Blackburn {Sunreed} or Erik the flutemaker.The hole spaceing on Steven's flute is small hand friendly.My bamboo G flute from Erik the flutemaker is very easy to play.
Best
Bruce
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".
sturob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

I've got a couple of flutes from Steve Cox myself. Great instruments.

I too think they're more ergonomic than Erik the Flutemaker's stuff. One minor but significant thing: Erik tends to put the toneholes in line with the embouchure. Olwell and Cox both rotate the embouchure hole towards the player . . . makes the whole thing easier to hold.

Stuart
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

jim stone wrote:Thanks. I have an Olwell bamboo D, which is beautifully finished
but which I still can't help but play a bit flat--though
it's improving as my embouchure improves.
I'm hoping to find something more like a celtic
flute, of harder wood than bamboo (e.g. blackwood).
I don't see why a good one of these in G should have
to cost a very great deal of money. Best
Ah. Well, now in the market myself for a wooden flute, I was browsing and noted that Hammy Hamilton lists a G flute as a standard menu item, at 550 Euro. I think I remember seeing a G flute offered on Mark Hoza's webpage,as well, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Best of luck!

--Aaron
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks. I don't like the embouchure hole rotated
forward, in fact. I expect I'm in a minority.
I think that's one of the reasons I'm playing the Olwell flat.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I have no idea how his flutes are, but Phil Bleazey makes a G flute for 145 pounds (about $230). Anyone played one of Phil's flutes?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Stoner, I believe that if you rotate the embouchure away from you, it tends to make the flute play more sharply. An inward rotation tends to flatten it, at least in my case. There may be some other reason that you are playing flat on your bamboo.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, that's what I meant to say. I think that's part of my
Olwell bamboo problem. Sweetheart flutes makes a
concical two piece G fife in rosewood for 115.
Is there a difference is between
a flute and a conical two piece fife?
I'll check the Bleazey site. Thanks.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Jim - I have a Sweetheart fife in D, and it's just a miniature Irish flute. I like mine quite a bit. I'd think the G fife would work perfectly for you. For some reason, I'm thinking you're in St. Louis, and I know there is a local music store that carries Ralph's instruments---might be worth a visit to see if they have one or to see if you like his instruments in general.
bradhurley

G flutes

Post by bradhurley »

I'm pretty sure Skip Healy is making blackwood flutes in G; I remember playing one owned by a friend of mine a few years back and it was great.

I have a bamboo G flute made by Chris Dawson (Rhiannon Flutes), very much like the Olwell G flutes, in tune, powerful tone, nice tone.

Personally I prefer the sound of F flutes (and F low whistles) to the ones in G; there's something about that particular register that seems to work really well with these instruments.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

While I don't make flutes, I would imagine the same procedure would be used to make a G flute which could still make it a labor intensive project - turning the wood, reaming, tuning etc., only on shorter pieces of wood, so the cost may be slightly less but maybe not considerably less. It may still take time to make - and consequently increase the final cost.

I have Olwell bamboo flutes - D, G, F. Personally, the G and F are really cool - better overall than the D flute. The G flute is the strongest (very full sound), and kind of a brighter sound (obviously pitched higher), but I too find F very interesting.

There seems to be differences in quality of bamboo flutes. Try an Olwell or another recommneded bamboo flute. The cost is so low, it isn't a big risk. I know Olwell's bamboo G flute definitely rocks - top quality, and I'm sure there are other makers of top quality bamboo flutes too.

One final note, if your heart is set on playing in C on a blackwood flute, how about a flute pitched in C? Mighty tasty stuff.... - rama