Do you prefer to learn songs by ear or no?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How do you prefer to learn new tunes?

reading
16%
listening
39%
depends on my mood
45%

Total votes: 56

lilymaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do you prefer to learn songs by ear or no?

Post by lilymaid »

I've recently decided I positively dislike reading music, so I don’t bother much anymore, but generally learn by listening. I was wondering how other people prefer to learn new tunes.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I didn't vote because I use a combination of ear learning and printed notation. I figure that the goal is to learn the music and I use whatever means makes achieving that goal quicker and easier. My teacher records each tune on tape so I know how it sounds. I refer to the sheet music to remind me of the tune while I learn it. I find this much easier than rewinding a tape recording over and over again while I learn. Again, whatever works for you but I can't see the logic in eliminating one technique or the other on the principle that only one method is "right".
Mike
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Me too, I generally want to learn tunes more if I've heard them first but I still often need some sheetmusic to get all the notes right.

Many hundreds of tunes I don't have recordings of, unfortunately, so I still have to try many tunes from the sheetmusic first.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

By ear. Besides I love the expression of people who are watching TV and suddenly I blast out the current commercial on a whistle.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

It really depends... sometimes I want to learn something by ear, and other times, it's by sheet music...
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I find both methods combined works best for me. I find it very important to listen to tunes a lot, to get them in my ear; but that still leaves the tricky pocess of getting them onto my fingers, and music can be a big help there.

A great example just rolled by on my stereo. I've listened to Peter Horan's versions of Boys of the Lough/Devils of Dublin hundreds of times. I have sheet music for both tunes, and have them in my head; but the notes weren't for his versions. And while I think I can approximate his style, I don't think I'm going to figure out what notes he's playing without slowing down the recordings and studying them for hours. On the other hand, if I had a transcription of what he was playing, I could learn to do it very quickly.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

burnsbyrne wrote:I didn't vote because I use a combination of ear learning and printed notation. I figure that the goal is to learn the music and I use whatever means makes achieving that goal quicker and easier. Mike
Hey! I wanted to say that!
Me too :)
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

I have decided that, although I can both read music and learn by ear (both in isolation or combination), life is just too short to read notation! Laziness rules! :P
Deirdre
Damien

Post by Damien »

i learn the notes by sheet music and the style by ear, heh.

i just copy ornamentation from the song since i really don't know much about it yet. i'm still a beginner :D
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I almost always learn tunes by ear, but don't knock the judicious use of sheet music: I do have to admit that it's an efficient way of identifying exactly what notes to play in those passages that you can bluff with an atonal "diddly" or "tickety" when you're lilting a tune that you think you've picked up by ear.

It's better to learn exactly how a tune is played by someone else before homogenising all the character out of it and substituting run-of-the-mill phrases for the interesting but difficult bits in the name of developing "my version" of the tune.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I've noticed that the more I like a tune the easier it is to learn. I leared Banish Misfortune and Broken Pledge without trying, but I can't get Kesh Jig for the life of me.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Paul

Post by Paul »

For me reading music has always been very challenging to say the least. I mostly play by ear but I will sweat thru a printed measure or two to figure something tricky out from time to time.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I use both methods, I like playing along with CD's and tapes. Some music I don't have a recording for but it's on paper - in that case I usually follow the music but I don't play strictly the way it's written.
serpent

Playing by ear

Post by serpent »

Well, I find it easier to pick up on a tune by listening and playing along with it. Aside from which, my sight-reading sucks!
Cheers, :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Conley

Earsies or eyesies?

Post by Conley »

It is almost impossible for me to just pick up a sheet of music and start playing on my whistle. But, if I pick the tune out a few times on the piano first, it's suddenly quite easy to read or play by ear.

I think when I get better I'll be able to get rid of my crutch and walk all by myself. :D
"Why would I want to fly so much...unless I could?" Lucas Lightbrow