Eamonn Cotter's flutes and contact

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kel

Eamonn Cotter's flutes and contact

Post by Kel »

Im in the market for a new keyless flute to upgrade from my Olwell Bamboo in D, and my teacher Laura Byrne reccomended Eamonn Cotter, since he's reasonably priced and his list is shorter than Pat Olwell's. Does anyone know how to get in touch with the man, other than calling Ireland?

Also, any testimonials regarding his D flutes? Easy/hard to fill? Tone quality, etc?

-Kel
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

according to Brad Hurley's site:

Eamonn Cotter
Balleen, Kilmaley
Co Clare, Ireland
Tel/Fax: +353-65-68-39141

Cheers,
Aaron
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Yep, that's his contact details above.
The best way really is to call him.
Computers are not really his thing - so sending email wouldn't work.

The 6 keyed flute I ordered is as good as ready and we agreed to call next week to arrange payment and shipping.
So I can't comment on the flute yet, but the dealings with Eamonn have been very positive and do have the comments I read about his flutes.

I'll post when I've received the tooter.
Jeroen

edited to add that it was so odd sending him the confirmation letter fore my order last year. I had never seen an address without numbers :-)
MkN
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MkN »

his email adress is cotter2@eircom.net
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

MkN wrote:his email adress is (deleted)
Yeah, but it's better not to use that, which is why I didn't include it on my site. As someone said above, computers aren't his thing. He doesn't check his e-mail very often and last time I talked with him he said he was dictacting his replies to his wife because he's slow at the keyboard. It's really better to phone him. If you're in the U.S. you can get great long-distance rates to Ireland by using bigzoo.com; it won't cost you much more than a call within the United States. In Canada you can get similar rates from yak.ca.
Last edited by bradhurley on Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Kel I was playing in Co Clare last weekend and had the chance to play several cottor flutes in d. All where very good flutes with a strong bottom d and I found them a treat to play. They where well made with a nice over all tone right up to the thrid octive. More importantly every one I played was consistant. Have you checked out Sam Murrays flutes? cant go wrong with a Sammy..
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Folks, DON'T post other people's e-mail addresses, or any other personal information, on public forums. From this day forward that e-mail address will receive so much SPAM it will be useless. Please, erase the address from both the messages here. If you need to send personal info do it via private message or e-mail.
Chirs
johnkerr

Re: Eamonn Cotter's flutes and contact

Post by johnkerr »

Kel wrote:Does anyone know how to get in touch with the man, other than calling Ireland?

Also, any testimonials regarding his D flutes? Easy/hard to fill? Tone quality, etc?

-Kel
Well, admittedly it's sooo 20th-century, but snail mail worked for me several years ago when I bought an E flat keyless flute from Eamonn. I wrote to him in April (or maybe it was March) to order the flute, and he had it ready for me in July. Since I was at the Willie Clancy school that year, I was able to pick it up from him in person. As I recall, he did not request any deposit for the flute in advance of building it for me. I just paid him the full price when I picked it up.

Eamonn makes a very nice flute at an extremely reasonable price. His flutes may not be in the same rarified league as an Olwell, but they're close enough to be considered comparable, especially in the aspects you're asking about (Easy/hard to fill? Tone quality, etc?). In many respects, differentiating between flutes from top-shelf makers is all a matter of opinion, anyway. My D flute is an Olwell, so that ends up being the standard I use for comparisons. But there are many good flute makers around, and Eamonn Cotter is certainly one of them.