Value and what to do with a Brendan McMahon 5-key flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Value and what to do with a Brendan McMahon 5-key flute

Post by bigsciota »

https://app.box.com/s/rt9f07r9v9zn61xjabe8y0o680ttxcfs

I'm hoping someone can confirm that the flute above is a Eugene Lambe 5-key, as I suspect. No maker's mark, but it looks very much like his older flutes.

I'm also wondering what the value might be. It's in good shape, but is in need of a re-corking and a few other little bits of work. The keys all seal ok, but the C and Bb keys stick when they're used (probably need a new spring). Flute sounds good, nice and sweet, although because the foot joint is a little loose due to the dried out cork, the low D is a little fuzzy. The ring at the end of the foot is a bit loose, but that's cosmetic and could be fixed with a little bit of glue.

I like the flute, but don't have a huge need for a keyed flute right now. If I were to try to sell it, is it better to get it worked on now or let the buyer get everything fixed up?
Last edited by bigsciota on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bliven

Re: Value and what to do with a Eugene Lambe (?) 5-key flute

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr. Lambe signed on here a few days back See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104430

Perhaps asking him directly might clear up the questions.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Will someone tell me more about these flutes? I've never heard of the maker before. Are these well thought of? They certainly look interesting.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I've never heard of the maker before.
Eugene was part of the first wave of modern makers in Ireland during the early eighties. Along with other makers like Bruce DuVé and Brendan McMahon he was instrumental in making new flutes available to a whole generation of fluteplayers.

His flutes have been discussed here regularly, a search of the forum may be of help.

You can find them played, and played well, regularly too:

My brain hurts

bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

I've just been told by Mr. Lambe himself that he believes it was made by Brendan McMahon. Apparently the McMahon flutes were similar enough to his own, and even used some lip plates that Lambe had made/sourced. I have edited the subject of the thread in light of this information. Thanks for those pictures, neat to see this kind of flute in action.

Still on the fence about what to do. I'll head to the local music repair shop to see what they can fix about the cork and two sticky keys. Any offers would be considered if anyone's interested!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I thought that could be a possibility, it's hard to tell them apart sometimes, when you're not familiar with them in detail (and I am not, even though my first flute, back in in 1982-ish, was a Lambe). I was wondering about some of the ones in the pics as well.

That said, Brendan McMahon's flutes are well thought of locally (in Clare),and some would be keen on the possibility of buying one as people seem to be holding on to them once they have one and they don't come up for sale that often.
My brain hurts

bigsciota

Re: Value and what to do with a Brendan McMahon 5-key flute

Post by bigsciota »

As luck would have it, I'll be touching down in Shannon next week and will be around the place for a couple weeks after (I'll mainly be in Cork, but am planning on visiting some friends up in Clare at some point). Maybe a posting on Donedeal or Gumtree would bring some interest.

Have half a mind to keep it, but I have too many instruments as is!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Try Brendan McMahon's (RIP) nephew (son of Michael McMahon, flute player, RIP), also a flute maker, following the design:

Donal McMahon
Ennistymon Road
Milltown Malbay
Co. Clare, IRELAND
Tel: +353 65 84828

At least, that's the info I had circa 2015.

He also seems to have run some workshops/displays together with repairer Jon Dodd in that area, around September 2016.
JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JoFo »

Asking price?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

JoFo wrote:Asking price?
Yes, yes he was :boggle: That is what the thread title is about. It doesn't sound as if he has enough information yet to determine it's value, and whether it warrants repairs before selling.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Please let us know what happens and what you learn. The flute is intriguing. Good luck!
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Thanks for all the info everyone, I'm intrigued myself. I am actually on a trip to Ireland right now and will be in Clare for a few days, so I might try to contact the nephew and see what he knows/thinks.

I'm still unsure of quite what to do. I got from someone who was essentially just trying to get rid of it, not a player or anything (an older relative had passed away and left it). I currently don't really need another flute (in fact, I've another one I'm trying to sell), but I am intrigued by this one and how it might sound once repaired. So if I can sell it on to someone who will appareciate it, great. But if there doesn't seem to be much of a market I might get the work done and keep it around.

Any offers would definitely be considered!