quiet whistle tunes for communion?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

quiet whistle tunes for communion?

Post by cowtime »

Anyone got any ideas for some quiet slow airs, etc. to play during communion during Lent? The priest has decided this is what she wants instead of the usual organ music at that point in the service.

These tunes don't have to be hymns, just not a fast reels or anything like that....... actually she'd probably like a reel or slip jig but I don't know that the congregation would agree..... :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
didymus

Post by didymus »

"As the Deer" sounds great on the whistle and fits in well for communion.

Frank
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The Welsh song, All Through the Night would work.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

And the Shaker song, A Simple Gift would work too.
mitchlr

Post by mitchlr »

My Jesus, I love Thee is stately and slow
Be Thou My Vision is also nice, and works great as a duet for Bb and Eb whistles, in the same key as in most hymnals, so your pianist could back up
I also like the suggested Simple Gifts, which can be very nice.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

In Communion and such services, I find
that the following hymntunes work well:

There is a Fountain
Sweet Hour of Prayer
Amazing Grace
Softly and Tenderly
At the Cross
Oh the Blood
In the Sweet By and By
Wonderful Peace
It Is Well
Reasonable person
Walden
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I would think that most slow aires would work just fine, with the exception of a few...
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Lament of the Three Marys, if you're looking for a traditional slow air.[/b]
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I would play some really beautiful airs, like Down by Sally Gardens, Anach Cuain, and Bruach Na Carraige Baine. Scarborough Fair and The Minstrel boy, played slowly, would also be nice. I like Walden's selection of hymns, but I also think that any lovely tune conducive to meditation would be appropriate. Of course, it is inevitable that some of the communicants will be distracted from their meditations by the music, but that's okay, since all beautiful things, both secular and sacred, glorify God anyway.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Great Aires for Communion

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Well... This happens to be my bag... Some of you know that I am the music director for St. Patrick Pres. Church here in Greeley, Colorado... We uses Aires extensively during Communion... I also dig up old Hymns that nobody sings anymore and set them to Aire melodies as well... Here's a few off the top of my head... This is not a complete list. We also have Irish Aire type melodies that one couldn't find through normal channels as well...

Bruach Na Carraige Baine
Inishere
John of the Glen
Pinehurst (Joannie Madden)
Tiochfaidh An Samhradh (Bothy Band)
A Little Child (Solas)
As I Roved Out (Planxty)
The South Wind
Wild Mountain Thyme
Shee Bheag Shee More (spelling is probably wrong... :P )
Etc...

Also, What Wondrous Love is This and O Sacred Head Now Wounded fit nicely on the whistle and are in the "Aire" vain.

We actually have a book to be published in the works complete with Piano Arrangements and guitar chords along with harmonization lines... Working Title is "Irish Aires for Sunday Mornings"

Hope this helps!
McHaffie

Hey, here's an opportunity...

Post by McHaffie »

I need help on this one anyway, so mutual benefit here...

There is a song that I am almost positive the title of it is "Hymne". I first heard it on an MTV type of thing many many years ago... it was a bunch of beautiful nature scenes like ducks flying by over a lake, deer running through a field... stuff like that. I'll try to have a post of the tune up here before the weekend.

Even if it's not a tune you use, you might see if you or anyone here might know the title (if it's not correct) and the artist?

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
hillfolk22

Re: Great Aires for Communion

Post by hillfolk22 »

McChastain wrote:Well... This happens to be my bag... Some of you know that I am the music director for St. Patrick Pres. Church here in Greeley, Colorado... We uses Aires extensively during Communion... I also dig up old Hymns that nobody sings anymore and set them to Aire melodies as well... Here's a few off the top of my head... This is not a complete list. We also have Irish Aire type melodies that one couldn't find through normal channels as well...

Bruach Na Carraige Baine
Inishere
John of the Glen
Pinehurst (Joannie Madden)
Tiochfaidh An Samhradh (Bothy Band)
A Little Child (Solas)
As I Roved Out (Planxty)
The South Wind
Wild Mountain Thyme
Shee Bheag Shee More (spelling is probably wrong... :P )
Etc...

Also, What Wondrous Love is This and O Sacred Head Now Wounded fit nicely on the whistle and are in the "Aire" vain.

We actually have a book to be published in the works complete with Piano Arrangements and guitar chords along with harmonization lines... Working Title is "Irish Aires for Sunday Mornings"

Hope this helps!
Hi,

I would love to have a copy of the book "Irish Aires for Sunday Mornings"
Can you let me know in a PM or an email when it becomes available?

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

There is a slow air called "Dochas" (translated: "hope") that is lovely on whistle.

I find it good anytime you want to induce a quiet, reflectful feeling.

My apologies if my adding to this thread offends anyone.

Best and Blessings,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

My all time favorite hymn is "Fairest Lord Jesus".

I've recorded it twice: on slack-key guitar, and double ocarina with slack-key guitar. You can hear the slack-key version at the "mp3.com/AldonSanders link. The double ocarina version is at the nowhere radio/One Man Band link.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My thanks to all who have offered suggestions......

I've managed to find music for several of the suggested tunes that I did not alrealy have and so have now added to my list of tunes to learn.

Walden, your suggestions are great. It's intresting too, because, most of those tunes are ones that I play on organ for the congregation to sing during lent( I played from the time I was 13 until 18 in the Baptist church where I grew up so I know them and they are a different treat for my Episcopal Church).

I too like "Fairest Lord Jesus. Played it two weeks ago in the service. I would have not thought to learn it on whistle.

I do think I will use the Low D for this, instead of Bb or A or a higher pitched one.

I've played through several of them for a couple of folks, to see which one's they like for communion and intrestingly enough, so far , "She Moved Through the Fair "is the one chosen so far. Incedentially , this is not the one I would have chosen. Tomorrow I will run them past a few more.

I must say , to peeplj, thanks for your post.I don't know why you felt it necessary to offer an apology for posting on the thread. No one is forced to read the thread that would be offended. It is obvious from the topic that it is of a "religious"nature. I would hope that we are not so "politically correct" here that post like this would be offensive.

Again, thanks folks, you've given me some great tunes!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West