So just what is a "pratie hole" anyway?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mitchlr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

So just what is a "pratie hole" anyway?

Post by mitchlr »

One of the things I like about Celtic folk music is the wonderful simplicity of the song titles. I can understand "The Cook in the Kitchen," "The Maid Behind the Bar," "The Stitches in the Britches."

But exactly what is a pratie hole, and how did the gander get in there?

Kindest regards,

Rob Mitchell
Memphis, TN
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

It is...

Post by StevieJ »

pratie = potato, pratie hole = potato pit, a hole in the yard where the spuds were buried for storage.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I buried my wife and Danced on her Grave - one of my favourite titles.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
atarango

Post by atarango »

my music instructor explained it to me as being "a goose raiding a potato patch"

-Angela
Bloomfield

Re: So just what is a "pratie hole" anyway?

Post by Bloomfield »

mitchlr wrote:One of the things I like about Celtic folk music is the wonderful simplicity of the song titles. I can understand "The Cook in the Kitchen," "The Maid Behind the Bar," "The Stitches in the Britches."

But exactly what is a pratie hole, and how did the gander get in there?

Kindest regards,

Rob Mitchell
Memphis, TN
I think it is actually "The Maid Behind the Barrel" and I've always taken it for one of those tune names that means a lot more than it seems to say. And what do you make of "Fasten the Leg On Her"?
/Bloomfield
Steven

Post by Steven »

I've kind of assumed that "Fasten the Leg on Her" referred to putting the tap into a keg. But of course I could be way off.

Another fairly gruesome title that undoubtedly has a very interesting origin (that I don't know) is "Pull the Knife Out and Stick It In Again." Yeeg!

:-)
Steven
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Steven wrote: Another fairly gruesome title that undoubtedly has a very interesting origin (that I don't know) is "Pull the Knife Out and Stick It In Again." Yeeg!
Steven
Here's what it says in the liner notes to Matt Molloy's first album. "There was once a witch who used to drop out of trees onto people riding on horseback. The way to break her spell was to knife her and to leave the knife in, for it it was withdrawn the spell would once more be binding. So the witch would shout "pull the knife and stick it again." "

Steve
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Then there's "Push about the Jorum". I had to do some dictionary searching and found that a jorum is sorta like a bucket or a punchbowl: envision a gathering at a table where sharing is the mode of the evening, and voila! All was revealed. (Apologies to the French Chiffers: ever lame at things computerrific, I have yet to figure out diacritical marks such as the accent grave...please imagine them as there and in place. :oops: )

N, still virtually earthbound
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Steven wrote:Another fairly gruesome title that undoubtedly has a very interesting origin (that I don't know) is "Pull the Knife Out and Stick It In Again." Yeeg!

:-)
Steven
My understanding of the witch and the knife is that if you stuck it again, it undoes the original intent...that is she'd be healed.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I thought a prat was something you fell on! Duh! :oops:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

[quote]I thought a prat was something you fell on! Duh! :oops: [quote]

In that case, let us not so much as discuss pratie holes! :D

N, *shudders to think*