Alternative to Cocus

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gleo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an amateur Irish flute player with an interest in flute making. I would like to connect with other flute players and flute makers.

Alternative to Cocus

Post by Gleo »

Hi everyone. I am relatively new to this forum and I have been playing the Irish flute for three years.
I am interested in an alternative to Cocus wood that has the same chocolate color that would be suitable for flute making. I have looked at East Indian Rosewood which is beautiful and also a "sensitizer" which rules it out for me to consider. I am open to suggestions? Thanks in advance.
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Re: Alternative to Cocus

Post by dubrosa22 »

Quite difficult to find but an Australian acacia called Gidgee is a marvellous wood for whistles and flutes.
Oz Whistles and Terry McGee produce instruments in Gidgee.

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/materials.htm

Vaughan
Last edited by dubrosa22 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
Gleo
Tell us something.: I am an amateur Irish flute player with an interest in flute making. I would like to connect with other flute players and flute makers.

Post by Gleo »

Thanks for the reply Vaughan. I've seen photos of Terry's Gidgee flutes. They're beautiful. You're absolutely right when you say that Gidgee is hard to come by. I've emailed several suppliers in Australia and none of them have been able to produce a piece large enough for a flute. Knife scales in Gidgee seem to be easier to come by at the moment. Thanks again for commenting.
Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

Mopane is an excellent wood that looks a bit like new cocus. Some pieces can be very dark brown, but sometimes very red. I have heard that it can get very dark as it ages..

Here is a youtube clip...Playing a blackwood Gallagher but the pic is a Copley is Mopane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbIwCF8qpD4
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

@Caspermilktoast

Yes, Mopane does darken with time and repeated applications of oil. My flute started a medium reddish brown and in six - nine months has become more of a chocolate brown. Very warm and comfortable colors.

I think Cocus can become quite dark, or is that just a normal evolution for all antique Cocus flutes?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

How about African Blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon), Solomon Island Blackwood ( http://www.copleyflutes.com/albums/Phot ... index.html# ), ebony?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I think Mopane looks very much like cocus.
I was just looking at two flutes. One cocus and antique the other mopane and less than 10 years.
Looking at these two flute the cocus is darker but it is also 100 + years older.
I have also seen cocus antiques that stay more red than the example before me both are reddish under light
They are both finer grained than the cocobolo and Blackwood flutes I currently have to hand.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Cocus was popular in part on account of how it sounds. I believe people thought it had a special clarity; others may have more info. If, as I do, you subscribe to the idea that different woods can have different acoustic properties (e.g. boxwood vs. blackwood), a wood that looks like cocus may not sound like cocus. Personally I don't think mopane sounds like cocus. I like african blackwood, following Kkrell. Also cocus, as it ages, darkens to the point where it is hard to tell visually from blackwood.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

kkrell wrote:Solomon Island Blackwood ( http://www.copleyflutes.com/albums/Phot ... index.html# )
It doesn't stay that colour. Both Zac's flute (the one in the photo) and mine (made from the same wood a little later) have darkened considerably, though remaining brown rather than black. I think Solomon blackwood is probably as close as you'll get to the appearance of cocus, but was so smitten with the photos of Zac's flute Dave Copley sent me that I chose it when I thought I was committed to Delrin! Which happily produced what is to me still the finest and most beautiful flute on the planet and most personal/beloved of all my instruments for the thought that went into it from both maker and player. :-)
jim stone wrote:Cocus was popular in part on account of how it sounds.
Or because it was once as ubiquitously available/suitable as African blackwood more recently?
Also cocus, as it ages, darkens to the point where it is hard to tell visually from blackwood.
Hmmm, yes and no? The 1921 cocus Rudall Carte Boehm I owned briefly this year was much the same colour as my 2012/13 Solomon blackwood Copley, but you wouldn't have taken either for African blackwood.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Personally, I think cocus has a unique sound rich with overtones in a way unlike other woods I've tried; although this probably matters a lot more to the player than the listener. Plus, it could just be confirmation bias on my part; cocus is supposed to have a superior tone so if I try a cocus flute and think that it does, who's to say that it actually does and this is due to the wood and not some other factor?

Anyway as far as looks go; the nitric acid stained dogwood that John Gallagher uses is a chocolate color similar to cocus. I play a flute made out of it (the one pictured in my avatar, if you can see it well enough).
Gleo

Post by Gleo »

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I own two keyless flutes by François Baubet in African Blackwood and mopane.
My mopane flute is more of a reddish brown color which I love. I noticed while looking at Yola and Forbes site that their mopane flutes were more of a chocolate brown and closer in color to cocus.
It's a shame that more efforts were not made to preserve the trees (cocus) that produce such beautiful tone wood. It reminds me of the situation with pernambuco wood used to make violin and cello bows.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Cocus grows in Cuba. They currently forbid its harvest. For the future? Who knows? There were groves in Florida, but they're mostly gone.
There is at least one nursery in Florida that was selling seedlings for the bonsai enthusiasts. If you bought one you would have to be awfully patient. . .
Pernambuco mostly grows in NE Brazil, in the state of Pernambuco. That area is currently under military law and has had a long-standing low grade insurrection going on for some years. It is worth your life to try to harvest any. An acquaintance, a bow maker, tells me there occasionally is some pernambuco that comes out of one of the Guyanas that border Brazil. Needless to say there are endless questions and CITES paperwork for the small extant stocks of the two woods.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Gleo

Post by Gleo »

an seanduine wrote:Cocus grows in Cuba. They currently forbid its harvest. For the future? Who knows? There were groves in Florida, but they're mostly gone.
There is at least one nursery in Florida that was selling seedlings for the bonsai enthusiasts. If you bought one you would have to be awfully patient. . .
Pernambuco mostly grows in NE Brazil, in the state of Pernambuco. That area is currently under military law and has had a long-standing low grade insurrection going on for some years. It is worth your life to try to harvest any. An acquaintance, a bow maker, tells me there occasionally is some pernambuco that comes out of one of the Guyanas that border Brazil. Needless to say there are endless questions and CITES paperwork for the small extant stocks of the two woods.

Bob
I own two cellos bows and a violin bow from the company Arcos Brasil. The only way that Pernambuco is allowed out of Brazil from my understanding is in the form of bows for stringed instruments.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

There is some padouk/padauk that is kind of a dark-chocolate color rather than the normal bright red. I think it's a different species from the red stuff. This is much less dense than cocus (probably around 0.7 rather than 0.9-1.0), so would need the bore treated. Burmese blackwood (D. cultrata) is another possibility. It is very dark like ABW, but has contrasting grain, very pretty stuff; no longer easily saleable across national boundaries.

Edit: I found it called Burmese padauk, tercarpus macrocarpus, same genus as the African, different species.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
paddler

Post by paddler »

The Solomon Blackwood mentioned earlier looks very nice, and much like cocuswood, in the pictures. I found a source on line for it (see link below). The company is based in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, but the owner is from the Solomon Islands. Apparently, the local name for this wood is Tubi.

Solomon Blackwood / Xanthostemon Melanoxylon Myrtacea