Casey Burns v. Olwell - former requires more air production?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mariajef
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Casey Burns v. Olwell - former requires more air production?

Post by mariajef »

Hi,

I've had a Casey Burns keyless 'd' flute in african blackwood for 3 years, and have always had a difficult time filling it with air for suspended periods of time. Part of the problem I think is due to my need to learn how to breathe better and to learn when to take breaths without disrupting the flow of the tune.

However, I'm suspecting that, relatively speaking, the Burns flute requires more air production than the average flute. I'm wondering how Patrick Olwell's flutes, or those of Hamilton or McGee, compare the the Burns in this respect.

Also, I'm wondering if I should purchase a flute by one of those three makers for any other reasons. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Jeff Zajac
Highland Park, NJ 08904
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Hi, my impression is that the CB blackwood doesn't require
more air than other flutes--but I haven't played the
flutes you mention, only the Copley. Don't know about
your particular flute, of course.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

I have experience with Casey Burns' flutes, but no Olwell experience. Benefactor sought to remedy tragic inability to make comparisons. Please remit Olwell flute(s) to the institute postpaid for evaluation. Submissions become property of the institute. Not a non-profit organization. Submittors are thanked. Submit to:

Mr. Brian Ormond, Director
Olwell/Burns Evaluation Institute
3821-14th Ave. W.
Suite 402
Seattle, Washington
98119-1369
:D
Last edited by brianormond on Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

I seriously doubt the Burns takes more air than other flutes. This is not to say that a better flute is not in the offing; better flutes play, well, better. But Casey makes a decent enough instrument that you should not be having breath problems. You may have a leak somewhere, or, just as likely, you are doing something wrong with your embouchure and losing too much air when you play.
Try other flutes and see if there is a noticeable difference in how much effort it takes to play. You really don't want to spend thousands of dollars to find out it was you, or a leaky tenon.
This all said, a great flute will play easier, although all require air and a good embouchure. I would do some trouble-shooting before I decided that the flute, as a whole, is at fault.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Well Jeff,

My goodness, 3 years of huffin', and not satisified?

Is there any other reason to get an Olwell, Hamilton or McGee?

Of course there is. But the question to you is "how many reasons do you need ?"

Change is good - rama
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

I have a Casey Burns' Pratten & Rudall model coming for a try today or tomorrow. So, I'll let you know how the fill compares to the Olwell Pratten model.

Bill
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I've played both and a few more. It will depend as much on your embrouchure as on the embrouchure of the flute. the tighter your embrouchre (the smaller the openng between your lips) and pushing from your diaphram with an open throat-- throat feeling open as if you were yawning-- keeping your cheeks tight against your teeth the more power you get for less air from your lungs. If your flute has a good undercut embrochure that will help as well. I've cuurently switched to a Wilkes from a McGee pratten. I think the air required is much the same even though the pratten has amazingly larger finger holes.
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

I just finished a week of comparing Casey's Pratten and Rudall models.

I did not notice a difference in the fill requirements between these models, or with the Olwell Pratten model (based on memory of past playing/owning experience).

I found Casey's Pratten model easy, and a pleasure to play. Wonderful sound. The finger spread was noticably comfortable, i.e., not spread as wide as other flutes I've played. You can't go wrong with either of his models.

Bill
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Bill: That's nice to hear! I think a lot has to do with the individual! I can only speak for myself, of course, but I notice that if for some reason I haven't played regularly ( even for a few days) I have a difficult time with my breath support (emboucher less so, but still takes a bit of playing to set it right) Sometimes, I am so tired at the end of a work day, that I'll wimp out and play my whistles instead, but at least that gives my fingers a work-out, and helps reinforce "tune memory"
Point is, I'm not blamin' the flute for anything....
But there's nothing wrong with wanting to try, play, buy another, eh?
Along a similar vein, have you ever thought you had to have just one more new, great whistle that everyone else raves about, and then you buy it, and then you find you still play your old regular one just as much? hee hee
Mary
SuiZen

Post by SuiZen »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Bill: I think a lot has to do with the individual! I can only speak for myself, of course, but I notice that if for some reason I haven't played regularly ( even for a few days) I have a difficult time with my breath support (emboucher less so, but still takes a bit of playing to set it right)Mary
I agree. I've been playing flutes regularly for about 12 years. I try to get at least an hour playing time per day, and manage much more on weekends. I also jog 1/2 hour per day.

Bill