Air Leak from my Killarney Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
winterparkmarc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Air Leak from my Killarney Whistle

Post by winterparkmarc »

I have two Killarney whistles, one nickel and one brass. I play the brass body whistle mostly because I prefer the slightly warmer tone. Over the last several days, I have noticed a slight leak of condensation from the head/body joint and today I have had an air leak, which ruins playing. Do you have any suggestions about a fix? I rotate the head slightly, which seems to help. Plumber's tape?
Thanks!
Marc
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Re: Air Leak from my Killarney Whistle

Post by puipui »

Killarney is making a slight bulge on the hidden part of their whistle’s body and friction by this keeps its body and head together. Thus leaking of condensation or air through the space around this bulge is unescapable. You can apply Vaseline or petroleum jelly there to fill the space.
andy_skiff
Tell us something.: Start to play whistles since 2007 and became a whistle/flute maker since 2009, I'm in China with a group Irish music fans.

Post by andy_skiff »

Try bees wax
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Try washing head joint with warm soapy water to coat the inards. Dish soap is fine.
winterparkmarc

Post by winterparkmarc »

Thanks for the help!