let's hear it for the cheapies!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

let's hear it for the cheapies!

Post by tin tin »

I've owned my share of fancy-pants whistles over the years, most of which were very nice in one way or another. And yet, in the end, the cheapies most often have what I'm looking for in terms of tone and playability.

I've got a nice Generation Bb that I selected from about a dozen at a store, but my D is a standard Feadog I didn't get to try before buying. It's a perfect fit for sessions--the chiffy tone blends really nicely with other instruments (while allowing ornamentation to pop), intonation is good, and the volume is just right. All that for $10!

Has anyone else come 'home' to the cheapies? And what's your favorite?
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: let's hear it for the cheapies!

Post by Sirchronique »

As of the past several months I've tended to play primarily on cheapies. However, I'd be hesitant to recommend any one brand, as I've yet to play any single brand where there is consistency to a reasonable enough degree to merit doing so. My best cheapies in D are Acorn and Oak whistles (my worst is also an acorn, incidentally), and my best cheapies in other keys are all Generations.
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

I look at my cheapie stash and wonder how something so cheap sounds so nice. My favorite is a
Clarke C Original (plain finish). Very fortunately, I accidentally tweaked it to "perfection"...I like to think it sounds straight out of the 19th century.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

An old Gen Bb... Really old. Just a beautiful whistle.
A Feadog C that my wife got for me in Scotland a couple years ago.
A Feadog D older than dirt.
I have an older Gen C. Amazing.

I have and have had some crazy 'spensive tooters.... At the end of the day I grab one of my cheapies... Every stinking time.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

All I play (and own) are Generations and Clarkes (OK and a single Hohner G); none cost me more than a few quid, new. I'm perfectly happy with them and I'm not looking for anything better. Had to loosen the head on my Generation C to re-tune it; it was almost a perfect C# when I bought it. My wife is on John Sindt's waiting list, just to see what the fuss is all about - but I'd be fine if I never bought another whistle.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

tin tin wrote:I've owned my share of fancy-pants whistles over the years, most of which were very nice in one way or another. And yet, in the end, the cheapies most often have what I'm looking for in terms of tone and playability.

I've got a nice Generation Bb that I selected from about a dozen at a store, but my D is a standard Feadog I didn't get to try before buying. It's a perfect fit for sessions--the chiffy tone blends really nicely with other instruments (while allowing ornamentation to pop), intonation is good, and the volume is just right. All that for $10!

Has anyone else come 'home' to the cheapies? And what's your favorite?
As you can see in the pictures of my own collection, I too have or have had my share of fancy-pants whistles. Really only two rank in the top ten for me.

I love the slightly quirky & truly chiffy whistleosity of the old Caluras and similar no-name tin whistles. They seem to have been made as toys, so they may need some tweaking, but that type of whistle often sounds quite nice. Can often be found for a few dollars at a good sized flea market. My other favorite is an ancient Clarke in g.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373