DVD "Peter Horan - Still Beating Time"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keylessflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

DVD "Peter Horan - Still Beating Time"

Post by keylessflute »

Hi all,

just in case anyone is interested, there's a really nice film out on DVD featuring Peter Horan. As it appears nobody mentioned the film here so far, here are the details:

Peter Horan 1926-2010. Still Beating Time.
A Profile of Peter Horan with the Music and Musicians of South Sligo.
This documentary film was commissioned by Michael Coleman Heritage Centre Ltd and was first shown on RTE2 in December 2003. (...) In addition to an intimate profile of Peter, the film attempts to distil the essence and spirit of a small locality and oits deep roots within the wider community.

I'd like to use the opportunity and say thank you to all members here for their contributions past and present! I always find this forum extremely helpful!

Maurice

Last not least, I'd like to apologize for my English...
Mr.Gumby

Re: DVD "Peter Horan - Still Beating Time"

Post by Mr.Gumby »

See here.
My brain hurts

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

This DVD wouldn't play in my Blu-ray player, I'm presuming because the DVD is region 2 or some-such. Worked great in my computer. (I had the same issue and solution with the "Sligo Masters" DVD.)

It's a lovely video, I should sit down and watch it again.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A few weeks ago I was going through some stuff that included some of the recordings Ciarán MacMathúna made of Horan during the late fifties/sixties. Like much of that sort of recordings from the period, it is confined to archive. Too much music to keep track of during one lifetime.

My brain hurts

colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Mr.Gumby wrote:A few weeks ago I was going through some stuff that included some of the recordings Ciarán MacMathúna made of Horan during the late fifties/sixties. Like much of that sort of recordings from the period, it is confined to archive.
Would that be this at ITMA? Is there no way to hear it short of going (physically) to the Archive?

(Searches a bit further) What the heck? Did Music of Sligo actually get a CD release? With the bonus tracks? (Which I snagged, alas with "watermarks", off the archive a while back, and now cannot find online again.)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

That would be one of Ciarán Mac's recordings but I remember hearing Roaring Mary, The Maid behind the Bar as solo tracks among what I have and they're not listed in that ITMA record at a quick glance. C.M. did have a habit of revisiting people and places over time so the recording could easily be from a different occasion.

if it's in ITMA you'll have to go in to listen, RTE doesn't allow access. A lot of stuff is circulating though.
My brain hurts

dunnp

Post by dunnp »

https://vimeo.com/39484523

Someone shared this video to me the other day
colomon

Post by colomon »

dunnp wrote:https://vimeo.com/39484523

Someone shared this video to me the other day
Lovely, thank you!