CP: New From O'Brien Whistles: The Whisolo Pro

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OBrien
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

CP: New From O'Brien Whistles: The Whisolo Pro

Post by OBrien »

The Whisolo Pro is a chromatic pennywhistle, based on a piccolo body, like the original Whisolo. Instead of a metal piccolo body, I have used one made from an ebony powder/ebonite composite. It has a great feel in the hands, with the larger outside diameter and a sweeter tone than the original instrument. It looks great too.

Here's a little video I made today to show the new offering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rjU9xiT1TA
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: CP: New From O'Brien Whistles: The Whisolo Pro

Post by Sirchronique »

I don't really have interest in this sort of thing, but I would think that a simple-system piccolo body would be more attractive to whistle players who want a chromatic instrument without being bothered to learn to play a transverse woodwind. A keyed simple-system piccolo body would keep the six holes exactly the same as a whistle, and have the keys off to the side for when needed. Simple system piccolo bodies come up for sale all the time with the head missing, and, while I have mixed feelings about using a perfectly good piccolo body (for which someone might have a piccolo head for that could be used), I think it would be rather inexpensive and even better to use that for the purpose.

Maybe I'm a bit biased though, from being a simple system flute and whistle player. I can see how your current design might appeal to someone who plays jazz or classical type of music, or already knows the boehm system.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I can see how your current design might appeal to someone who plays jazz or classical type of music, or already knows the boehm system.
I wonder how likely is it for someone already playing jazz or classical with a degree of competence on their chosen instrument to take up a whistle like that?
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
I can see how your current design might appeal to someone who plays jazz or classical type of music, or already knows the boehm system.
I wonder how likely is it for someone already playing jazz or classical with a degree of competence on their chosen instrument to take up a whistle like that?

I think it's a given that it is a bit of a niche instrument in the first place. As for jazz, I don't know. Perhaps someone who wants a different sound. Would not be the first time someone wanted to use whistle in such a setting, and I can see keys as being beneficial in that particular context, if that is indeed what one wanted to do.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Sirchronique wrote:... As for jazz, I don't know. Perhaps someone who wants a different sound. Would not be the first time someone wanted to use whistle in such a setting, and I can see keys as being beneficial in that particular context, if that is indeed what one wanted to do.
Which is an excuse to mention the Coltrane Penny Whistle Tapes—and it isn't even April.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I spent last night listening to Bríd Harper and Dermot Byrne (fiddle and accordion) backed by John Doyle. They went through a dazzling array of tunes in an equally dazzling array of keys, sets would move from Dm, Gm, Bflat to F to god knows what (for the mode pedants, I used the keys they shouted to Doyle who had just fallen off the plane and was slightly jetlagged).

It would be interesting to hear how this whistle would fit in to a mix like that, in the hands of a capable player. It would be particularly interesting to hear how it would stand up stylistically. Bit those clicking keys will have to be silenced, that's very distracting even when a simple scale if played.

Image Image

And while we are on a commercial thread, the support last night was provided by the wonderful Ann Rynne, who sang song for us as a warm up. She has a new CD, go get it. See here (sorry, a Facebook link). She started with her brother Luka Bloom's 'Be still now' and I couldn't help thinking she had the audience mesmerized and carried the song in a manner both her singing brothers do so well. Goosebumps.

Back to your scheduled program now.
My brain hurts