Repurposing some Clarinet Wood into Flute Wood

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Repurposing some Clarinet Wood into Flute Wood

Post by Casey Burns »

Here is a big delivery of wood that I received yesterday from American Science and Surplus. It seems they ended up with a large pile of turned but otherwise unfinished blackwood clarinet bodies from LeBlanc, from the factory in Kenosha Wisconsin that shut down in 2008. These were intended for their entry level Professional-grade Sonata clarinets. The wood, well aged and cured, is excellent and pretty much defect-free. It would have to be at this stage of manufacture - just before keys and tone holes were to be added. Fortunately, no tone holes have been cut - they are just tubes at this point. I tested a few pieces and found that there is enough wood on these both inside and outside to render them into middle and lower joints for my popular Folk Flute models. Since the wood is already selected for high quality, rounded, and pilot bored, it will save me considerable manufacturing time, and reduce wait time. I like the concept of repurposing this wood into flutes.

Casey
kmag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Re: Repurposing some Clarinet Wood into Flute Wood

Post by kmag »

That looks like a good score!
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

I need to find someone who'll sell me half a dozen of each kind because American Science & Surplus won't ship to Australia :(

Vaughan
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
- Philibert Jambe der Fer (1556)
Will Woodson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Will Woodson »

Seems pretty ideal. Would you mind letting us know the dimensions that the pieces come in if you feel so inclined? How big of a pilot bore are we looking at? I might be after snatching up a few for myself, if you're not already planning on raiding the rest of their stock. Thanks!
The Phonograph Project, a close study of Irish music from the 1920s and 30s: http://patreon.com/phonographproject

My album with Caitlin Finley and Chris Stevens, "The Glory Reel": http://thegloryreel.bandcamp.com
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

pilot bore around 13.75mm. Max OD is around 32mm. Lengthwise I can cut the 205mm I need, though sometimes this includes the tenons on one end. Fortunately these are larger than the ones I use so it all gets turned down. At this point, I have enough of these pieces to last my career and am not planning on purchasing any more. They still have a considerable quantity in stock.
dubrosa22
Tell us something.: I'm interested in 19th and early 20th century wooden flutes. And Renaissance flutes. And also techniques for whistles.

Post by dubrosa22 »

Any US members buying a largeish quantity I could tag onto? 6 or a dozen of each joint and a few bells? I would pay a percent on top and obviously the extra shipping.

I'm currently making ren. flutes and chalameaus for fun and would love to work with some nice blackwood.

Without an International (Australia) shipping option I need to beg for some help!!! :)

Vaughan
'...I want to warn you that playing the flute is impossible for those who have no tongue, for all notes must be led by the tongue; therefore, those of you who take pleasure in playing the flute should guard your tongue against mould, which is to say, drink often.'
paddler

Post by paddler »

I bought a few of the 3-bump clarinet tubes. They just arrived. They are pre-bored with a 14 mm pilot hole. The outside diameter is tapered from 32 mm down to 29 mm. Some have a tenon and/or socket cut, and some do not. The socket is probably too large for use in a flute, so you lose some length there, but there is 210 to 230 mm useable length (depending on whether the socket is cut or not ... which it was on about half the tubes I got).

So in terms of a D Irish flute with a two part body and a conventional Rudall or Pratten style bore, these tubes have enough material for head joints and upper body sections, but the pilot hole is just slightly too large to allow them to be used for lower body or foot sections (because those sections generally have a minimum bore diameter less than 14 mm). I have not seen any of the 2-bump clarinet tubes, but my understanding is that Clarinets have a cylindrical bore, so the pilot hole in those sections is also likely to be the same 14mm size as the 3-bump tubes. Can anyone verify this?

Still, for $2.95 per tube this is a killer deal! Thanks for bringing it to our attention Casey!
dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

Thanks to an extremely helpful US C&F member for coming to this Antipodean's aid and forwarding to me a good supply of these 'bumpy' Blackwood tubes and bells.

SciPlus seem to report that they are now out of stock (temporarily?).

Looking forward to working with this fine wood :)

Vaughan
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Yes, I actually bought the last pieces they had in stock. Initially I got about seventy-five of them, then when I saw them I got another hundred. Then after contemplating that such a deal may never come again, I went back a third time and got the last seventy-four pieces they had in stock. Having worked with them and seen the quality I regret not breaking open the piggy bank and doing what Casey did and get a pallet full of them! That was wise. Pre-seasoned, pre-settled, pre-bored, pre-turned, pre-inspected and totally solid. For less than $3 each? You simply can't beat that deal. I hope they get more, but it does seem like a one-time-thing. If they do, I'd certainly stretch to get a hold of more of these babies.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Here is a piece of the clarinet wood repurposed into a head joint for a Boehm flute...

dubrosa22

Post by dubrosa22 »

Beautiful work Geoffrey. Your flutes are stunning to behold.

Vaughan
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

dubrosa22 wrote:Beautiful work Geoffrey. Your flutes are stunning to behold.

Vaughan
Thank you, Vaughan! Much appreciated :-)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes beautiful stuff there Geoffrey.

Offtopic, but will you be attending The National Flute Association Convention in San Diego?

(August 11-14.)

I plan to be there on Friday.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yes beautiful stuff there Geoffrey.

Offtopic, but will you be attending The National Flute Association Convention in San Diego?

(August 11-14.)

I plan to be there on Friday.
Thanks, Richard :-) Yes, I will have a booth (#325) at the NFA convention--come by and say hello!