Peter Worrell Piccolo

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Geraint
antispam: No

Peter Worrell Piccolo

Post by Geraint »

Hello there. So. I've been interested in Peter Worrell's keyed piccolos for some time. I'm especially drawn to the chromatic options that they'd seem to offer; and, one would hope, consistency of tone and intonation. I wonder, then, how playable are they? How easy are they to play in tune? How loud - would they overwhelm a session?

I'm not a wonderful flute player, although I can get something out of most flutes nowadays. I'm making a fairly decent sound with one of Jem's plastic piccolos, without much work. I'd intend to do more work and to use such a piccolo fairly often.

So. I'd be interested in the experiences of people here. Perhaps any comments would be better made in private messages? Anyway, I'd welcome your feedback.

Diolch!
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Peter Worrell Piccolo

Post by benhall.1 »

I love my little piccolo made by Jem. But I've always been too scared to play it out of the house. Mine makes a huge sound! :o

I have played piccolo in public, but when I do, these days, it's an old Rudall, Rose & Carte (I think - Jem knows better than me what it is) and I at least can play it a bit quieter than Jem's one.

I'm just off to Google these 'ere Peter Worrell ones ...
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

Yes, my Jemolo (to coin a phrase, like) is rather loud too.

http://www.peterworrell.co.uk/simplesystempiccolo.htm

See if that link works.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Geraint wrote:Yes, my Jemolo (to coin a phrase, like) is rather loud too.

http://www.peterworrell.co.uk/simplesystempiccolo.htm

See if that link works.
Thanks. That's the link, right enough. I found it easy enough by Googling, but always good to put a link up. :thumbsup:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Stu Boyd has a Worrell picc, IIRA.

As for my conduit tube thingies, they're perfectly capable of being played softly/quietly/moderately - by those capable of doing so..... :poke: :really: :D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Stu Boyd has a Worrell picc, IIRA.

As for my conduit tube thingies, they're perfectly capable of being played softly/quietly/moderately - by those capable of doing so..... :poke: :really: :D
Yeah well, I'm capable of curdling milk at a hundred paces with mine. :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:

You don't need a piccolo to have that effect........ :poke:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

You don't need a piccolo to have that effect........ :poke:
Who said I was talking about the piccolo? :twisted:
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I have a keyless Worrell piccolo that I treat like a flute (play in the bottom 2 octaves, and avoid the third. I bought it to play instead of a whistle, and for embouchure training. I find that it is quieter than my Burke brass whistle, and when I play with 3 others, no one complains that it is too loud. I suspect it could be played much louder, but I find it sweet and a nice change from whistles-marches sound more martial.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

flutefry wrote:I have a keyless Worrell piccolo that I treat like a flute (play in the bottom 2 octaves, and avoid the third. I bought it to play instead of a whistle, and for embouchure training. I find that it is quieter than my Burke brass whistle, and when I play with 3 others, no one complains that it is too loud. I suspect it could be played much louder, but I find it sweet and a nice change from whistles-marches sound more martial.

Hugh
Thanks, Hugh. Yes, that's pretty much what I want out of it. Surprising that it's quieter than a Burke, but that's not a bad thing for me. I wouldn't want to be screaming in a third octave in a session, anyway - it is a bit anti-social!