Chris Backhouse Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Chris Backhouse Whistles

Post by Sirchronique »

I have seen this maker post about his whistles on Facebook, though I haven't heard them before. Has anyone here any experience with them?

I must say, they do look quite snazzy. Here's his website.

http://www.chrisbackhousewhistles.com/
Thomaston

Re: Chris Backhouse Whistles

Post by Thomaston »

Those are quite beautiful, but he really needs to add a media section to the site. I'd also be very interested to hear some good samples.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Thomaston wrote:Those are quite beautiful, but he really needs to add a media section to the site. I'd also be very interested to hear some good samples.

Agreed, I'd also like to hear them. I seem to recall he posted a video of the band "Nightwish" playing his whistles quite some time ago, but I can't remember if I watched it or not. Regardless, I think they are some sort of gothic metal rock band of some sort, so it wouldn't give much indication of how it would sound in a trad situation. I searched for the video and couldn't find it.
luukzs

Post by luukzs »

I know the band nightwish, good band. I know they use whistles, but not which ones on which album. And even if you knew, they put way to much reverb and effects on it to be usefull sadly.

The website needs to prioritize a bit, having the prices hidden away like that is bad for business. :)
For the rest, they look gorgeous, would really like to hear a sample.

The only thing that gets to me is that he sells Howard Low whistles. In my fair opinion the most overpriced, horribly build low whistles someone can get their hands on. (once again, my opinion) and for some reason I make the unconscious connection of Howards being bad, to his whistles also having the same low level of craftsmanship
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

They look like an Alba headjoint with wooden bodies...( not that it is a bad thing )
Mladen

Post by Mladen »

I think their piper/whistler, Troy Donockley (of Iona and Máire Brennan fame) plays other whistles, but has only recently acquired the ones made by Chris. Hence, you cannot really hear what they sound like on an album (overproduced or not). To the best of my knowledge, there were a couple of recent bootleg clips on youtube where you could hear what they sound like.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Chris Backhouse

Post by Chris Backhouse »

I would like to thank you for your posts and comments, most of them very positive and also to apologise for not having any sound samples ready( I've been a little overwhelmed by all the messages and enquiries.) I am on holiday for a week from tomorrow but have arranged to have some sound samples recorded whilst I,m away. I will make these available when they are ready.
Many thanks
Chris
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Just posted to Facebook:
"I would like to say a BIG thank you to everyone for your positive messages and enquiries about my Whistles. Sound samples are being recorded next week and I will post them here and on my website. Apologise for not having them ready now but I've been overwhelmed with messages whilst still keeping up with Whistle work.
Many thanks
Chris."