Susato C vs Freeman Generation C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Susato C vs Freeman Generation C

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Quick Question
Ive been out of Irish Music for years.
Recently I came across a Collection of written Reels and jigs that I enjoyed playing.
I'm thinking I might like to play them again and to that end I need an inexpensive whistle.
I'm not likely to play any Sessions, but would just play around the kitchen table and will be getting a C Whistle..
I'm thinking either a Freeman tweaked Generation C or a 2 piece Susato.
Your thoughts about which to get?
Or should I go ahead and buy both? :D
Merry Christmas!
Ben Shaffer
Mladen

Re: Susato C vs Freeman Generation C

Post by Mladen »

Horses for courses, but I prefer Jerry's whistles by far. I would also recommend considering a blackbird/mellow dog C (it is essentially the same whistle). Very easy to play, balanced across the octaves and with an incredible sound.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ben Shaffer wrote:Quick Question
I'm thinking either a Freeman tweaked Generation C or a 2 piece Susato.
Your thoughts about which to get?
Or should I go ahead and buy both? :D
Merry Christmas!
Ben Shaffer
Of corse buy both. Think about two singers that perform the same song or style of music. Both good vocals just a different voice.
I have three soprano whistles in C, Susatoe, diy tweaked Generation, and Feadog. I prefer the Susatoe when playing with the local community college choir. I really enjoy the acoustics in an old stone mission. No pa system needed.
When I want to hear a different voice I have the DIY tweaked Generation, Feadog and an OS Chieftain low C
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you're looking for a traditional-sounding C whistle, I'd vote for the Walton's nickel. I've tried at least a couple dozen, and owned two or three, and I've never found fault with one. The sound is robust and chiffy. (If you've ever played a Thin Weasel C, the Walton's is really not that far behind.) If you're looking for a pure sounding C, then the Susato is a really good choice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

Another plug for freeman's mellow dog -- a great whistle for a great price.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

As far as inexpensive whistles go, I'd recommend one of the older heavy wall Dixon C's, with the long head (not the new ones being sold that use a dixon trad head). Here is an example of a nice one: http://www.irishflutestore.com/dixon-heavy-wall-brass-c It is not very loud at all (nor super quiet, either), but it plays easily, nice octave transitions, good balance between the octaves without being too loud in the highest notes, and overall very nice, and imo sounds like a proper whistle. I have no stake in the website or sale of the whistle, that just happens to be an example I found online.

Freeman's whistles are also very very nice, though I really only prefer his D and Eb whistles. His bluebird and blackbird D and Eb whistles are especially nice. It depends on taste, but I don't care for the tone in the lower octave of my Blackbird C or tweaked Generation Bb. I'd rather play an untweaked Gen Bb (or one tweaked only with poster putty), or the aforementioned old dixon C over either one. I think the lower octave on his C and Bb that I own don't have enough roundness to the tone. I'm clearly in the minority, as many people do love his Bb and C whistles, so perhaps you would as well. It can't hurt try one. I will say the upper octave on all of his whistles sounds very nice and sweet, regardless of key, and none of them are bad whistles.

I'd hold off on the Susato C until you are back in the groove with Irish music.

Just my opinions, though. Any whistle is a step up from no whistle, so the important thing is to just obtain one and play it, regardless of what you choose. Generation Bb's are cheap enough and usually of great quality compared to other cheap whistles, so it never hurts to pick one of those up as well for playing around the house.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Aren't Susatos fairly loud? I find at home I prefer a quieter whistle.

I've been super-happy with my Freeman tweaked Generation D. Sweet sound; Strong bell-note; Clean upper register; Decent intonation across both registers (cross-finger C-natural is a little better than the 2-finger version, but I usually don't bother); Very easy to play quickly.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

I can vouch for the Mellow Dog D/C set. The C plays easily through two full octaves; for Bb, OXXXOO works better than OXXOOO, which tends to play sharp.

Don't know about the Freeman tweaked Generation C, but his tweaked Generation Bb is a very nice whistle. Personally, I like the sound of it better than the Mellow Dog C, and the tuning seems more consistent, but it requires more of a push at the top of the second octave.