Different key flutes & whistles

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lanselle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Different key flutes & whistles

Post by Lanselle »

Do any of you use different key whistles or flutes? They're great for getting another vibe from the tunes. Of course, flutes are quite expensive but I often use my Eb generation when playing about the house. Bb whistles are also great for airs. Just interested to know if any of you have ventured into the different key instruments and what you think of them.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Different key flutes & whistles

Post by Peter Duggan »

Lanselle wrote:Just interested to know if any of you have ventured into the different key instruments
Just about everybody, I'd think!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Yes, I would think most players use instruments in various keys. Whistles are quite common in keys other than D. I've got them all covered along with a few whistles in exotic scales. Flutes in Bb, F , Eb, etc. aren't all that uncommon. And they are nice for getting "another vibe" from a tune. Flutes in F can be fun, IMO.
Lanselle wrote:Of course, flutes are quite expensive
They really do not have to be. We live long lives and stumble across all manner of inexpensive flutes as we travel about. At least that's been my experience. But of course "expensive" is a relative term. PVC flutes in alternate keys can do the job if you are willing to invest the time in learning the basics of making your own flutes. And of course there are well regarded providers of PVC flutes out there as well - not as cheap as DIY but they are sure to be good playing flutes.

It's great fun to have a few different keys around the house to play when we need a little change.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I play a good deal on the street with other musicians (guitar, fiddle, vocals). And we're
doing a good deal of non-celtic stuff, e.g. blues, american fiddle tunes. We also do gigs, e.g. parties,
weddings, etc. In addition to my D flute I play an old sweetheart
G flute, in part because I can use it to play in C. Mine is rosewood, but the cherry wood
sounds very good, IMO, and is a lot cheaper. Also I use an A bamboo flute, which I can also use
to play in D. Bamboo flutes are pretty low cost, and once you get the hang of playing them,
they can sound very good indeed.
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

I think this song and the accompaniment on the F flute is justification enough for anyone to have such a flute in "the armory"

https://youtu.be/e0NN07t9W0c

H

https://soundcloud.com/holmesflute/sets/holmes-flute
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

My main flute was always a Bb (Ab) high pitch flute as I grew up in Belfast playing in marching bands however, I got into the D Flute just over a year ago and now have a 5 keyed F as well. I have collected G flutes and fifes, whistles of various keys but these three baby's are my main weapons of choice. I want an ebonite or African Blackwood Eb next as I love the noise that James Murray makes from his.

This is the same Bb in the above picture which was sent back to Miller Wicks recently, silver plated and converted to covered hole.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Mesquite

Post by Mesquite »

Lanselle wrote:Do any of you use different key whistles or flutes? They're great for getting another vibe from the tunes. Of course, flutes are quite expensive but I often use my Eb generation when playing about the house. Bb whistles are also great for airs. Just interested to know if any of you have ventured into the different key instruments and what you think of them.
I do think about such things a lot......... but usually only when I'm in a gathering and watch some flute/whistle folk unroll an ungainly number of instruments, in what looks like every possible key, in their cleverly designed cloth rolls-thingys.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Besides my Doyle D flute I have a Marroncito Bamboo in E. Very handy for backing singers in A and E and of course the fiddle tunes..