Chris Norman-made flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chris Norman-made flutes

Post by Thalatta »

Hi does anyone have - or has anyone played - a flute MADE by Chris Norman? They look gorgeous, and I would imagine they are, being made by him. Anyone know anything about them: prices, quality, etc.? Here's the link: http://chrisnorman.com/flutes-made
Shane
Last edited by Thalatta on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thalatta
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Chris Norman-made flutes

Post by s1m0n »

I've never heard a thing about Norman as a fluthier.

Excelling in one field is difficult enough. All I've heard is of him hiring other makers to copy his famous boxwood Rudall. It's possible hat he's bought a lathe & learned to turn, but I'd be startled if that was the the case, to tell the truth. And if he had, no matter his prowess as a musician, I'd be startled if he was also notable as a maker. What have you heard?

If he's merely endorsing flutes made by someone else, I'd be much less surprised. Plenty of famous flutists have done that, starting with Charles Nicholson.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

It is fairly well known that Chris Norman has trained in flute making at least partially under his friend Rod Cameron, the doyen of period flute reconstructors, and is endorsed by Rod. But I can't recall having yet read any reviews of or comments on any of his instruments.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Chris is indeed making and sent me a detailed price list of many varied and interesting models when I enquired. There were also several photos of his work on his website.
There is also on article on Robert Bigio's site in which he discusses his making.
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

In a word, his work is superb. A friend of mine has a Cameron 8-key, and when the head cracked, he had Chris make him a new one. It sounds fabulous and plays wonderfully--better than the head it replaced. (And Cameron flutes are pretty great to begin with...) It has a wider dynamic range and is tonally more complex. Plus, it's a perfect match for the rest of the flute with the wide engraved silver rings and wooden sleeve over the tuning slide. Top notch.

Here's the article dunnp mentioned: http://www.robertbigio.com/norman.htm
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Well, thank you. It seems I've learn something. All the best to Chris. From the flute-playing POV, the more makers the merrier.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Chris' flutes are indeed very good. He's had a whirl of information and instruction from a number of sources, notably Rod Cameron and robert Bigio, and to some extent Forbes Christie.
chris opened a lovely little workshop just behiind his home in Lunenberg, Nova Scotia, just down the lane from the beautiful old school where he hosts his annual Boxwood festival.
I got to play some of his early work and even then it was turning out nicely.
Are they top-notch flutes? That's a question for each player to deduce, but i'm sure his work improves with each flute.
hope that helps.

dm
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Thalatta »

Thanks everyone, that's all very helpful. I was wondering if anyone had any photos?
Thalatta