Low C whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kess
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Low C whistles?

Post by kess »

Hey who makes good Low C whistles?

I've only tried Howards (and they aren't great in the 2nd octave) and Goldie's and they are pretty pricey.... nearly 300squid!

Is there any body else or do you have to go with Goldie to get a nice instrument and pay the money?

Cheers
gariwerd

Re: Low C whistles?

Post by gariwerd »

Goldfinch whistles make a 3 piece tunable low C for 89 euros or $US105. Goldfinch whistles have been getting generally favourable comment on this forum including from from whistlemaker Paul Busman who liked their low D. On their website you can listen to sound files of the low C
http://www.goldfinch.eu/low-whistles/#lowc
I am looking forward to getting a low D from them soon.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

This topic comes up every so often. There is a very useful search function at the top of each page. You can find the answers to many questions through that search feature.

Here are a few low C threads I remember.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99805
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86208
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70692

I play a Burke low C. It's a very good whistle, IMO.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

I too play a Burke low c. Tis quite nice
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

You get what you pay for, pretty much.

I have a Ronaldo Reyburn Low C and it's wonderful.

And you know what you're going to get from Burkes: everything solid, strong tone, smooth voicing, great tuning, and so forth.

I used to have a Susato Low C (the old keyless model with the angled neck) and it was very nice, the best Susato I've had. But nowhere near the full woody warmth of the Reyburn I now play.

Here's a tune on my Reyburn Low C. I was just getting over a respiratory thing so my breathing isn't the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWr434aFHQk
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fotosled

Post by fotosled »

Hammy Hamilton in Ireland makes some very nice low whistles including key of C. I have his low D and it sounds and plays great... rich, complex tone... very comfortable hole placement... Here is his ordering info http://www.hamiltonflutes.com/Prices.html
fotosled

Post by fotosled »

Hammy Hamilton also offers different bodies with one head... so I'm actually ordering a low C body from him now...
Timothytiptoes

Post by Timothytiptoes »

Maybe take a look at Hans Bracker low C offering? I've a B /C combo that more than 2 years later still makes me wag my tail. The low C pipe is a easy player with a fat pleasing tone. tim
O'Mahony