Low-D-mania

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Freckle Girl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Low-D-mania

Post by Freckle Girl »

Hi friends and lovers of the low D whistle.

After I thought that low D's are not for me, in any case within the next 5 years, I really got haunted by the amazing clips of tinwhistler @youtube. If there's anybody reading this and doesn't own a low D yet, I give a warning: do not watch this!!

Well, this time I thought I should keep me from foraging and comparing and just save for a MK Kelpie, or at least give it a go as I could order one at Bigwhistle. But now some cruel members posted some news about some nice whistles by makers like Goldfinch or Fidgin Fain. And I fear there are more of such rivals.

So should I ignore them and stick to the MK or what would you do. Anybody here who has pity on me? :-?
Feadoggie

Re: Low-D-mania

Post by Feadoggie »

Freckle Girl wrote:So should I ignore them and stick to the MK or what would you do. Anybody here who has pity on me?
Pity? Have you heard the phrase, "Resistance is futile."? Well, it is. And, "You will be assimilated.".

They only way to figure out what low D is the one for you is to buy the ones that appeal to you until you realize you are playing one so much that you do not need any other. And that will happen. Try 'em all. Buy 'em all (if you can). stick with the ones that make your musical soul sing. Pass the ones you don't bond with along to others. They will be assimilated as well.

Support your local whistle maker!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

If you buy your MK direct from Misha he gives you a 'right of return'. I have an MK and like it a lot - high quality instrument. I have also just ordered a Goldfinch which is coming in about a month. Could let you know the differences then.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Yes, I love my Goldie(s), but like to hear more about the Goldfinch.
Max the Whistler

Post by Max the Whistler »

What's Goldfinch?
------Do or do not, there is no try. ))))Master Yoda
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

Max the Whistler wrote:What's Goldfinch?
a lovely, well crafted PVC whistle.
I'm in love with my Goldfinch whistles...
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

I was already assimilated I'm afraid. :sniffle:
Yes, I love my Goldie(s), but like to hear more about the Goldfinch.
A Goldie might be interesting too, especially as it would be only an hour drive for me. But after I read a lot of these surely superior whistles, I'm not sure if they are for me. It is often said that it takes time to get used to them. The MK seem to be more accessible, concerning the price as well.
If you buy your MK direct from Misha he gives you a 'right of return'. I have an MK and like it a lot - high quality instrument. I have also just ordered a Goldfinch which is coming in about a month. Could let you know the differences then.
A comparison between your MK and the Goldfinch would be interesting, I'm sure not alone for me. Maybe you can write some lines when it has arrived. On the MK homepage they say that the polished one allows a bit more grip than the satin. Do you think it's worth the investment to go for a polished one?
I'm in love with my Goldfinch whistles...
How is the look? They look a bit ugly on the photo. Sorry, I don't want to affront the one you're in love with at the moment :wink:
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

I'm very interested in the Goldfinch, but if you are only an hour's drive from Colin Goldie, I urge you to phone him up and go!! I'm really envious of that opportunity. I bought my first Goldie Low D, a soft blower, from him when I'd only been playing whistle about a month and never regretted it. It wasn't so difficult to play either. They may take a little more time to get used to than others but that soft blower was no problem for me and it sounded wonderful.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

To me, Goldies and MKs are both superior instruments of equal quality, but they play very differently.

You owe it to yourself to get an MK and a Goldie in your hands (whether bought or borrowed) and spend a large amount of time playing them both.

It will probably become clear which suits you better.

I'm a fan of buying whistles used, because you can try any number of whistles for free. A two-year-old whistle is worth the same as a two-year-and-three-month-old whistle, so you can buy it, play it for a few weeks or months or years, and then sell it for the same you bought it for.

And let's face it: Low Whistles are extremely inexpensive as top-notch instruments go. I sold one flute and got enough money to go on a Low D Whistle buying spree.

I've owned five or six MKs, kept my favourite, and sold the rest. A dozen other makes have come and gone too, either bought and sold, or borrowed.

My keeper MK is very very good. But not perfect! So The Quest goes on... I'm now spending a lot of time playing on a Reyburn Low D that's just as good as Goldies and MKs but completely different from either in tone and function.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Ellen
Tell us something.: It started with a whistle, then a low whistle (love them). Will try the flute. Now I'm mostly with my harp.

Post by Ellen »

pancelticpiper wrote:You owe it to yourself to get an MK and a Goldie in your hands (whether bought or borrowed) and spend a large amount of time playing them both.
I can only agree :)

Having my hands on an MK Kelpie now (what a sound and volume!) I still want to try out a Goldie and many many more.

By the way, my MK Kelpie feels fine in my hands, not slippery at all, but now I don't play for hours on end or with too sweaty hands. (If funding had allowed though, I might have gone for a tunable whistle, Goldie or MK Pro.)

Freckle Girl, if you live so close to Colin Goldie's place and can actually GO THERE you have the great chance to try out several instruments, experience a wider range of sound and playability, meet the maker himself perhaps. That's great!

Good luck with your quest, which is also mine, ours :wink:

Greetings,
Ellen
Last edited by Ellen on Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

On the MK homepage they say that the polished one allows a bit more grip than the satin. Do you think it's worth the investment to go for a polished one?
I would guess polished is easier to grip. I wound up with a non polished one. I've put quite a lot of electrical tape where the thumbs go so I can hold it better, but it's still kind of slippery. I love the way it plays but I wish it were just plain steel.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Can I ask you for a moment to think about what kind of music you aspire to play? If it is mainly dance tunes i.e. jigs and reels, then there are many places you can take a breath within the rhythms of the tunes. But if slow airs are what you most like, then consider that places to take a breath may be more sparse and, worse, the pieces may involve challenging long, high notes.

Let me add something in favour of the Goldie. With the Low D, I think I'm right in saying (Brigitte can correct me if I'm wrong) Colin makes five different heads with increasing windway heights going from what he calls soft (a moderate amount of breath needed but less "push", less pressure of blowing required) to medium (very little breath but a lot of push required . . . from the diaphragm).

When I started on the Low D I chose a soft blower which I believe has similar air requirements to an MK Pro or Kelpie (or so a friend told me who owned both MK and soft Goldie). I was fine with that Low D, a lovely whistle, until I started to play airs and Davy Spillane tunes. Out of curiosity I bought a medium second-hand and didn't touch the soft blower for six months. Now I wouldn't go back. The medium makes playing such tunes so much less of a struggle and far more enjoyable. I hardly ever gasp for air; it uses far less than any other Low D I've played and I've played a fair few. And I know of two professionals, who also used to play the soft blower but now play a medium to lessen air requirements.

Given the choice of heads, virtually every Goldie Low D is slightly different. Sadly, I've had to buy mine over the phone with Colin playing a bunch of them to me. You have the chance to visit him and try out a selection. Don't miss out on that opportunity. And think ahead. What type of whistle music do you most enjoy or would most like to play? If it is slow pieces you need to consider the demands they will put on your lungs. When trying out a whistle, see how long you can hold a second octave B. It may give you an idea of what's involved.

Hope this helps.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Let me throw Löfgren in the ring. His low D is the only one i have kept..
Of course a purely subjective opinion but i'd say try a Löfgren or be sorry you didn't :)
Oh, and also - don't paint yourself into a corner by avoiding whistles that takes getting used to, they often prove to be the keepers, vastly superior to the pick-up-and-play ones.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Lovely whistles, Lars but last I heard he had so many orders he had to close the list. Is he taking orders again?
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

Can I ask you for a moment to think about what kind of music you aspire to play?
This is probably a key question Mikethebook. Still I don't have an answer to it I must say. I'm just getting into different styles of whistle music. I don't know where the path leads me to in the future. I would like playing reels and jigs with guitar accompaniment, maybe with a slower tempo than I play these on my high D. Then I love slow airs as well, which I imagine to sound nice on a low whistle. A difficult question, what do you think?
The medium makes playing such tunes so much less of a struggle and far more enjoyable. I hardly ever gasp for air; it uses far less than any other Low D I've played and I've played a fair few.
Sorry I'm a bit confused. I thought you call a soft blower an instrument with less air requirements and a medium/hard blower one with more air requirements. f.e. a Freeman Blackbird I would call a soft blower. Why is it more comfortable then to play a medium?

I understand that there are a bunch of good arguments to talk to Colin directly. Well, it's still a fact to me that I could buy 3 or 4 Goldfinch for the price of a Goldie. Don't misunderstand me - they are surely worth it, there's no doubt. What I heard of the soundsamples, the high whistles have always been to brillant for my taste. But maybe I should save some money and give them a go. I just thought I could get a long without spending so much. But as some member here said, whistles seem to be a bargain compared to other professional instruments.