Kelleher Pipe Bags

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
paintedgreen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing uilleann pipes for a couple of years and I think this forum is a great learning resource.

Kelleher Pipe Bags

Post by paintedgreen »

From the few reviews I've seen, Kelleher bellows seem to be great. However, I can find nothing on what anyone thinks of the bags. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks
Andy FitzGibbon

Re: Kelleher Pipe Bags

Post by Andy FitzGibbon »

I've got one, and, though my experience is limited, I can say that it is well-made and airtight. Just as nice as their bellows (of which I also have one).

Andy
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

For the first twenty years of my Pipemaking career I made my own bags ( hand stitched leather) so I have a fair idea of what constitutes a good bag; from the selection of suitable hides to the methods of sewing and use of various sealant recipes... to the principle of sitting on an inflated bag to test for airtighness .

I have been trialing the Kelleher bags for a couple of years now and so far so good. They meet my sit test and need no other sealing ( seasoning) . In fact the Kelleher's say not to use additional seasoning which makes me wonder what happens when the treatment that their leather has been given at the tannery starts to loose its efficacy, if it ever will. I feel that they have not been around long enough to say that airtighness is garanteed for the life of the bag... but maybe that is the life of a bag... when a bag starts to give... replace it. :thumbsup:

Geoff.

PS; The bag I made in 1980 for my own pipes is about ready for the bin... if Kelleher's bags last that long ,and they probably will, then there is little to worry about.
Mogens Hundevad

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

Hi!

My ballows is made by Brian Howard back in 1977, and they are stil going well airtight an all. I have changed the bag but not doe to leeks, more for comfort and volume. Now i am using a L&M bag.

Just for the info!
gregorygraham
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gregorygraham »

I am happy with my Kelleher bags. Only had them a year or two, but I think they are top notch.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

On my last trip home I was so impressed by the quality that I bought one at NPU. About a year ago David Quinn was out here for our tionol so I had him tie in a lovely Jackie Boyce bag on my K&Q set. The L&M bag had gone hard where my arm came into contact with it and was cracking which made me nervous. The Jackie Boyce bag is great and will hopefully last me a good few years. I am glad to have the Kelleher at the ready though when the time comes!

Patrick
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

So what is with those really nice looking shoes they sell on the Kelleher website? It says they are Italian made, but they seem very inexpensive...too inexpensive...made by elves overnight when the shop closes? Is there an Eastern European sweatshop in the back? How do they do it? Has anyone bought any of these shoes? Are they as nice as they look in the photos?
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I supply Kellerher bags and bellows with the sets I make for customers and I find the bags to be absolutely airtight and so far no complaints from customers. Niall is a very nice guy and responds promptly to queries. I have one of his 'Geoff Woof' style bags here waiting for me to tie a flat set into for my own personal use. He also supplies acetal chanter and blowpipe stocks tied in, which I also take advantage of for my customers and they are well done. Purchase from him with confidence!
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
paintedgreen
Tell us something.: I've been playing uilleann pipes for a couple of years and I think this forum is a great learning resource.

Post by paintedgreen »

Thanks everyone for your responses, I decided to go ahead and buy a bag and bellows from them.
KM

Post by KM »

ausdag wrote: He also supplies acetal chanter and blowpipe stocks
Curious about what the valve set up is? I tried acetal ( not Kelleher) a couple of times with my student's sets and the valves failed after a year. I swapped them for wood after that.
The bags are good.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

As far as I can remember (it's been 6 months since I last purchased a bag with blowpipe for an order) it's the standard round leather flap tied onto the end of the blowpipe. Not sure how an acetal blowpipe would differ from wood in that respect, but time will tell.
KM

Post by KM »

probably doesn't matter if tied on only. I was using part tied and part glued.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Unless they have changed, the valve as supplied to me was a sliced acetal vacuum cap. Very trouble free. Best check with Niall.

All the best
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I think you are correct. Not a leather flap.
KM

Post by KM »

an seanduine wrote:Unless they have changed, the valve as supplied to me was a sliced acetal vacuum cap. Very trouble free. Best check with Niall.

All the best
Bob
Nice to know what those things are called. I bought a fullset of pipes in 96, the vacuum cap fell apart after a while. Emailed the maker, got no reply, if I'd known years ago what it was called I could have replaced it with the same.