Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Re: Obama Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

BigDavy wrote:...The Republicans will likely go nuts over this.....
Yeah, why not?

They should give Sarkozy an award for attempting to bring Obama fans back to reality.

I think will just create our own peace prize since the current one is reserved to left wing extremists and terrorists. I nominate Ronald Reagan for saying "Mr Gorbachev, tear down that wall".

Actually, if you want to weigh the Democrat presidents, I think Bill Clinton would be more deserving of a peace prize than Obama.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Daniel

If only terrorists and left wing extremists get the prize, then what in your opinion is Obama? (on second thoughts don't answer that question, you will likely get the thread locked). (on third thoughts - do answer it, I don't think a thread I started has ever been locked, it will be a new experience for me :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Countdown to Threadmageddon: Ten ... nine ... eight ... :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
emmline

Post by emmline »

dwest

Post by dwest »

I guess anyone just about one footstep to the left of any of the last four fascist, porcine ungulate right wingers in the White House would seem to be left-wing extremists and terrorists even if they was Ghandi. Poor Ghandi he didn't even get a Nobel, murdered by some right wing Hindu nationalist I reckon. seven...six.....
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Meanwhile the Israeli gov has moved from simply defying Obama to mocking him.
Avigdor Lieberman, the Foreign Minister, said the day before Obama got the prize,
that anyone who thinks there can be a comprehensive peace with the Palestinians
in the next few years
is 'sowing illusions.' Guess who he has in mind. The Israeli government figures they've taken
Obama's measure, that he's all posture and that he will never really hold their feet to the fire.
That would be politically dangerous for him and they don't think he's
up to it.

Obama may be a very brave man, but so far every stand he has taken, whatever its
costs, was more expedient politically than the alternative. That's no reflection on him,
it may simply be how things have broken, the politically expedient may also be
the right thing to do. But the question remains: what will he do when what's good for the country
and what's politically prudent really come apart? Watch Palestine. Because without
progress there, very little is going to change elsewhere. The Israelis
think they know the question's answer.

Meanwhile, now that Obama's won the Prize, doubtless Netanyahu will freeze
the settlements!

This was the foreign policy matter on which Obama
has expended the most effort (much to his credit) and he's come up entirely empty.
Not his fault, but if you want to see if he deserves the prize, watch what happens now.
The ball is in his court.
Daniel_Bingamon

Maybe there should be a Chiff and Fipple Peace (or is Peas) Prize.
The winner gets to meet Dale and a ride on Dale Force One.
It would be good catchy name for Dale's next mailing.

I nominate Jean-Luc Picard - he plays a whistle and tries to keep peace. (I know- the whistle is a prop)

How do you like my attempt to avoid Threadmageddon?
dwest

Post by dwest »

Personally I prefer the Noble Piece Prize.

The Origins of the Noble Piece Prize

Alfred E. N. Noble worked as a loom designer in the Jacquard loom factory in France in the early 1800's. He was known for constantly sharing with his peers better ways of doing things and for the beauty of his inventions. When people tried to give him credit, he always passed along credit to others.

When Noble was focusing on a particular piece, or task, he would often stay after work to get it just right. His reputation for producing things of beauty and inventiveness caused his factory co-workers to label anything beautiful or inventive as a "Noble piece."

One day the owner of the factory suggested that an annual prize be given to anyone who created something of great beauty or inventiveness. In honor of Alfred Noble, this prize came to be known as the Noble Piece Prize.

When Alfred Noble found out about this prize, he was so overjoyed he exclaimed, "That's dynamite."

The owner of the factory was so happy with the organic development of the Noble Piece Prize, he told his factory workers that he would seek to have the prize given annually by the king.

Alfred Noble, who never said much, spoke up. "I'd much prefer that this prize not be given by a king, but that it given by any contributing member of our community. To me, the honor of giving the prize ought to be as great as the honor of receiving it -- and the people best suited to choose the prize giver are community members themselves. They know. Ask them."

He walked over to one of his co-workers and holding his forearm said, "Rudy, here, has dignity." He walked over to another co-worker and holding her forearm said, "Elizabeth, here, has dignity."

"Don't you see, it's dignity that matters, not status?"

A hush befell the factory floor. Even the looms fell quiet at the poignancy of the moment.

"And we cannot give this prize annually. Our days on Earth are limited. We must give this prize more often, for beauty and inventiveness exist everywhere if we just look for them. Twice a year is how often this prize must be given.

And we must have other Noble prizes beyond the Piece Prize. Do we limit our homage to one another because of words?"

And such is the origins of the Noble Piece Prize, which honors two people twice a year. Today the prize is most often given to people working on public-spirited software projects -- people who embody the spirit of Alfred E. N. Noble. By tradition, the giver of the Noble Piece Prize has no connection to software creation, but is a person who embodies great dignity in the community.

By all accounts, there can be no greater honor than the Noble Piece Prize.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

dwest wrote:Personally I prefer the Noble Piece Prize.
I won the Pullet Surprise one year. It was presented in absentia at a modest gala affair in Charlestown, NH. Since I wasn't there, I don't know what I won it for, but I think it was for being absent.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

chas wrote:I won the Pullet Surprise one year. It was presented in absentia at a modest gala affair in Charlestown, NH. Since I wasn't there, I don't know what I won it for, but I think it was for being absent.
Over here in Minnesota, Pullet Surprise is............hotdish. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

This will explain to you exactly what happened with the Obama Nobel prize and eliminate the need for any more discussion.

http://www.slowpokecomics.com/strips/terminatrix.html
dwest

Post by dwest »

Dale wrote:This will explain to you exactly what happened with the Obama Nobel prize and eliminate the need for any more discussion.

They got the dates wrong he came from the year 2525 not 2025.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

dwest wrote:
Dale wrote:This will explain to you exactly what happened with the Obama Nobel prize and eliminate the need for any more discussion.

They got the dates wrong he came from the year 2525 not 2025.
Is Man still alive?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Daniel_Bingamon

dwest wrote:And such is the origins of the Noble Piece Prize, which honors two people twice a year. Today the prize is most often given to people working on public-spirited software projects -- people who embody the spirit of Alfred E. N. Noble. By tradition, the giver of the Noble Piece Prize has no connection to software creation, but is a person who embodies great dignity in the community.
You mean like...... Linux