The BEHEMOTH Everybody on the Forum is (or has) a Cutie-Pie

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-07 19:08, Holt wrote:

As far as snakes go; "if it rattles, it's a RATTLESNAKE,...if it doesn't, it's a COBRA!!"
Yup. Hognose.com lists false cobra as an alternate name for the spreading adder, "COMMON NICKNAMES Puffing adder, spreading adder, false cobra, death adder."
http://www.hognose.com/pages/species/east.htm
http://www.hognose.com/pages/species/plains.htm
Reasonable person
Walden
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

how does one's own underpants taste?
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

On 2003-02-07 18:56, Walden wrote:
Actually, two of the pictures are Eastern Hognose.
Eastern, western. . .hognose, anyway. "Spreading adder", which I'd never heard, is very evocative, in its way. I like it, though I'd be wary of causing folks to think that it's dangerously venomous (hognose snakes are mildly venomous, but not like the old-world adders, which can kill). People get overwrought about snakes in general, especially if they think they're poisonous. (I've been bitten by hognose snakes, and never had any reaction at all. Wouldn't want to be a prey animal, though. . .)
The Mountain Boomer is the official state reptile.
Crazy name for a beautiful lizard. They sometimes run on their hind legs, like wee T-Rexes. Zip!
Holt

Post by Holt »

Mountain Boomers are pretty quick, running on their hind feet! When we were kids we'd chase one if we found it,..until the day that one of them decided he'd had enough of THAT game, he threw the brakes on, spun around and stared at me, while standing upright!

I think I went and rode my bike for the rest of the day!
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

I live in a very old log farmhouse and I get two kinds of critters inside--mice and snakes.

As you might expect, if you gave it some thought, I'm plagued with mice in the winter when the snakes go to sleep. In the spring, when the baby snakes arrive, I have to watch the patterns on the oriental-type rugs carefully to avoid crushing them by accident.

I'm sure part of the migration pattern is based on my dirt cellar where the black rat snakes have set up housekeeping. I chased an eastern milk snake back into the wall upstairs a couple of years ago and then realized the baby snakes that I thought were unusually colored baby black snakes (which aren't black yet) were really baby milk snakes. (Neither species is venomous.)

I thought the cats (who are useless at mouse control) had killed a snake last spring when I found it in the kitchen. But when I carelessly picked it up by the middle, it woke up and bit me. (No harm done but I was very startled.)

I know, I know. I treat every firearm as if it were loaded and now I'll treat every snake as if it's alive.

M

PS--Those infant snakes that survive the cats' discovery (think of it--self-propelled string!) get tossed out to live in the herb garden with the St. Francis and Buddha statues.
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Now another reason you WANT to take your July vacation to Europe/France/Brittany/Mesquer.

The only reptile we have is Anguis fragilis aka "glass snake".

And this cuty-pie is only a kind of lazy lizard in snake drags, which lost its legs in the peat-bogs...

Here the only venomous serpent-like dweller is the Sibemollus shriekus aka bombarde . The mediæval church athority judged it a satanic instrument. They knew these matters...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-08 03:18 ]</font>
rbm

Post by rbm »

On 2003-02-08 03:17, Zubivka wrote:
Here the only venomous serpent-like dweller is the Sibemollus shriekus aka bombarde . The mediæval church athority judged it a satanic instrument. They knew these matters...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-08 03:18 ]</font>
hey do they grow on trees ? :grin:
richard.

Post by Guest »

On 2003-02-07 19:31, amar wrote:
Better with salt n pepper. :lol:
rbm

Post by rbm »

On 2003-02-08 04:39, wizzy wrote:
On 2003-02-07 19:31, amar wrote:
Better with salt n pepper. :lol:
Are, Well Seasoned underpants

:grin:
Richard
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-08 03:17, Zubivka wrote:
Now another reason you WANT to take your July vacation to Europe/France/Brittany/Mesquer.

The only reptile we have is Anguis fragilis aka "glass snake".

And this cuty-pie is only a kind of lazy lizard in snake drags, which lost its legs in the peat-bogs...
We've got a variety of glass snake here, too. I remember once when I was about five years of age, I went and told my mother there was a snake out in the yard. She went out and started throwing bricks at it, and it simply busted in twain, and kept right on slithering.
Reasonable person
Walden
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bump- because we need to get back to it.

Edited because I can't spell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TomB on 2003-02-10 14:09 ]</font>
2nd Wind

Post by 2nd Wind »

Hey...when's the last time you seen one of these little guys runnin' around???
I miss chasing these things from when I was a kid. Must have been my favorite critter in the world. I'd probably run after one to this day if I saw it....although some types shoot blood from there eyes at predators. Also the State Reptile of Texas. Crazy huh? I think the "Horny Toad" qualifies as a cutie pie. LoL
The woven wood beckons...
- Uriah
mvhplank

Post by mvhplank »

These were always <i>my</i> favorites. I don't see them up here and I miss them.

<b>The Blue-Tailed Skink</b> (actually, the immature Five-Lined Skink)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-10 14:08, 2nd Wind wrote:
Hey...when's the last time you seen one of these little guys runnin' around???
I saw a report on OETA that said horny toad populations (as well as frogs and toads) were seriously in decline in the state of Oklahoma.

I haven't seen one in years, partially because I am living in the East, where they were always less abundant.
Reasonable person
Walden
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Wow! What a great thread... Not only do we get to see all the cutie-pies-in-the-closet on this board, I also get invaluable info on what to avoid if I ever find myself in snake-infested parts... *shivers*
Thank you all!!
Deirdre