Uilleann Pipes wood, mounts, and tone

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MichaelLoos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Uilleann Pipes wood, mounts, and tone

Post by MichaelLoos »

WyattPauls wrote:BTW, my post on the uilleann pipes board has totaly failed.
Please explain.
You did get some very qualified answers there in response to your original question, regarding the wood, pipemakers, how to get started and so on.
This is what you wrote near the end of the thread: "Thanks everybody, you've all said some helpful things and i'll keep them in mind."
Even though the discussion here has been much livelier I feel your attitude is a bit ungrateful towards those who contributed on the other forum. :really:
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

This topic has now gone to 6 pages. Is this a record?
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Is this a record?
Must be if not for the number of pages it must be one for staying on topic for so long

And............. it hasn't been locked :lol:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Elmek wrote:And............. it hasn't been locked :lol:
Now you know the secret. Just give the Mods enough popcorn to eat, and comfortable balcony seats. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

MTGuru wrote:Now that I finished eating my popcorn ...

By analogy, think of what's involved in starting a family. Parenthood (like piping) is a huge responsibility and a lifetime commitment. And a prospective parent whose focus was on what clothing they expect their future child to wear, or the child's hair color, or wouldn't it be neat if the kid had 12 fingers - would naturally be seen as having priorities badly misplaced.
!
Beautifully put, MTGuru. Great analogy. You really hit the nail on the head!

Have another bag of popcorn on me.
KAD
billh

Post by billh »

Steampacket wrote:... I was reminded of Sean Seary's Leo Rowsome which as far as I can see is also solely made up of metal tubes, with only the three regulator bodies (parts with the finger holes and keys) being made of wood, the slide of the tenor drone, and the chanter body itself. Everything else except for the reeds and ivory mounts, and including the stock seems to be made of metal. It's possible that the drones are wood encased in metal, but I don't think so. ...
The drones are indeed wood encased in metal. The mainstock is nearly all metal, which results in some issues - it would probably be less troublesome if it were metal-clad wood, but it's metal-clad metal, something like pewter on the inside with brass bits (for instance the tenon that inserts into the stock cup) and nickel silver cladding outside - a real bugger to try and repair if something starts to leak (which of course it has, over the years). As much as I respect Leo's work, I think this particular stock configuration wasn't such a great idea. The acoustically odd thing about the Sean Seery set is the hollow puck on the baritone drone, otherwise I think the bores are normal enough.

I can't tell from my notes, but it's possible that the slide tenon on the baritone is indeed a metal tube, but a thick-walled one, so that the inner bore diameter is still more or less as one would expect.

So much for staying on topic! ;-)
WyattPauls
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by WyattPauls »

MichaelLoos wrote:
WyattPauls wrote:BTW, my post on the uilleann pipes board has totaly failed.
Please explain.
You did get some very qualified answers there in response to your original question, regarding the wood, pipemakers, how to get started and so on.
This is what you wrote near the end of the thread: "Thanks everybody, you've all said some helpful things and i'll keep them in mind."
Even though the discussion here has been much livelier I feel your attitude is a bit ungrateful towards those who contributed on the other forum. :really:

Really sorry man, I was refering to the other uilleann pipes forum, not this one. It only had a little bit of responses. My posts weren't very good, and everyone else only responded with satires and stuff like that :lol:
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

So much for staying on topic!
Perhaps "Only strayed slightly in places" would have been a better comment :)
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"The drones are indeed wood encased in metal. ...." Bill H.

Thanks for that information Bill. So Felix Doran's German silver set wasn´t the only experiment/innovation Leo tried out then.
Mogens Hundevad

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

I have just got the book "Postcololnial artist" about Johnny Doran and the traveller tradition.
In there is stated than Feiix's silver pipes was made by a german ingeneer.

l artist"
Steampacket wrote:"The drones are indeed wood encased in metal. ...." Bill H.

Thanks for that information Bill. So Felix Doran's German silver set wasn´t the only experiment/innovation Leo tried out then.
:party:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

There are at least 2 and maybe 3 silver sets which Felix had at some time or other:

1. Kennedy-made silver set (or at least a silver plated mainstock marked Made by Alf Kennedy for Felix Doran)
2. Rowsome-made silver set (aka the Silver Plated set)
3. Gorker-made silver set (aka the Silver Set - Gorker was the "German engineer").

It may be that the Gorker set and the Kennedy set are one and the same (the stock made by Kennedy and the chanter, drones and regs by Gorker).

The "Silver Set" and the "Silver Plated Set" were re-united in Spanish Point in 2010.
PJ
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"I have just got the book "Postcololnial artist" about Johnny Doran and the traveller tradition.
In there is stated than Feiix's silver pipes was made by a german ingeneer." Mogens H.

Yes, Frank Gorker, living at the time in Manchester, made part of the second set of pipes, that is to say a stock and regulators for Felix. Leo Rowsome made the original set with metal over wooden regulators which were prone to leaks apparently. The original metal stock and regulators were sold by Felix to Neil Mulligan's father
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Did Gorker make the chanter too? It looks very similar in style to the regulators.
PJ
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes Gorker made the metal chanter body and Felix used it with the original Rowsome windcap. John Keenan Snr said that the Rowsome set leaked, so it's possible that the original chanter made by Leo was also encased in metal and was subject to leakage. Dave Williams took measurements of the set that Felix's widow had and made a replica for John Rooney. A silversmith did all the silverwork on the stock etc. This set was completed in Newark, Notts, 1980/81. This is a conventional wooden set but with plenty of fancy silverwork.

Here's photos by Leo Rickard of the Rowsome and Gorker pipes:
http://www.neilmulligan.com/doran2010%20.htm
PJ

Post by PJ »

I read somewhere that the silver chanter was accidently damaged (bent) at Felix's funeral.

On this photo (from Neiligh Mulligan's website), I think I can read "Made by A J Kennedy ...":

Here's a photo from Pat D'Arcy's site. Looks like the same set and the inscription on the mainstock seems to read
"Made by A J Kennedy Cork
For
Felix Doran Manchester
Irish Uilleann Piper"

It seems that the "Silver Set" is the work of at least 3 makers - Kennedy (mainstock), Gorker (regs, chanter) and Rowsome (Drones and chanter top).
PJ