Who's pipes are you playing ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

illwinds wrote:Angus Bb chanter.
:o

When I do get around to buying a flat chanter, Bb is what I'd like. Any chance of hearing a clip of that chanter?
PJ
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

PJ,

There is a good clip of Brad Angus' pipes in Bb somewhere I can send you the link if you'd like..

upiper71
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

PJ,

There is a good clip of Brad Angus' pipes in Bb somewhere I can send you the link if you'd like..

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/uilleann.html

Just go under uilleann pipes....about half way down the pageby Brad Angus I think it's Kevin Reitman's post and beautiful sounding set.

upiper71
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

CJ Dixon, or I will be tonight when I get 'em home! They arrived here at the office this morning. My first practice set! Woohoo!

These, but with the brass hinge on the bellows.

http://www.cjdixon.com/Quickstart/Image ... ce_set.JPG
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

GaryKelly wrote:CJ Dixon, or I will be tonight when I get 'em home! They arrived here at the office this morning. My first practice set! Woohoo!
Welcome to the DARK SIDE young Jedi....... :D
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Just got my cocobolo Dixon chanter a couple days ago. I'm in love.........
Joseph E. Smith

WannabePiper wrote:Just got my cocobolo Dixon chanter a couple days ago. I'm in love.........
Excellent! Cocobolo is my favorite flavor. You and Mr. Kelly are going to have to post some pics of your new pipes for us. May it rock-n-roll for you. :)
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I'm awaiting my Rosewood & Swan-neck Dixon chanter. Due for early July.
PJ
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

PJ wrote:I'm awaiting my Rosewood & Swan-neck Dixon chanter. Due for early July.
Mine's blackwood with the standard head. If the quality of workmanship on your rosewood chanter is the same as on mine, it's worth the wait!

My finest flute at the moment is a blackwood Eb by Dominic Allen. The workmanship is superb, fit and finish impeccable, seamless joints between wood and metal. It has a glass-like sheen, and is quite simply gorgeous. The kind of instrument you can just sit and hold and admire, never mind playing it.

Well, my chanter shares all those qualities.

Don't ask me how it plays though, I won't be able to put the set on and squeeze out that first attempt at a note for another half an hour (how frustrating has the day been!). And you can bet I'm not qualified to talk about playing UPs.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
GalegoMan

Post by GalegoMan »

I've a Gallagher practice set in D. :)
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

I have a gordon galloway D half-set. :)
piperman07

Post by piperman07 »

WannabePiper wrote:Just got my cocobolo Dixon chanter a couple days ago. I'm in love.........
Do you have a sound clip of it? I am looking at getting CJ's set in Cocobolo as well, I think the sound is a little mellower than BW.

Cheers,
Steve
...... I got nothin'....
Brent Abbott

Post by Brent Abbott »

Brad Angus Narrow D 1/2 set in Ebony and Silver-Nickel. Fully keyed (like I'll every get around to figuring that out!) :lol: Im very happy with them.
Brent
Joseph E. Smith

Brent Abbott wrote:Brad Angus Narrow D 1/2 set in Ebony and Silver-Nickel. Fully keyed (like I'll every get around to figuring that out!) :lol: Im very happy with them.
Keep tossing that hammer, and you'll be able to figure out
anything. :lol:
Brent Abbott

Highland Games vs Uilleann piping

Post by Brent Abbott »

Actually piping has helped my tossing. More in the "keep trying it 'till you figure it out" way as sometimes it doesnt ever seem like I'll ever throw farther. Both still give me a workout, but I can usually pipe longer than throw :)
Brent