Kevin Crawford's BCd Ornament

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
George
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in Irish traditional music. Specifically flute & uilleann pipes at the moment. Did you know that the Sally Garden's starts like G2 DG B2 GB using the ABC language, that's certainly fascinating isn't it?

Re: Kevin Crawford's BCd Ornament

Post by George »

I asked Kevin Crawford about it after a concert in California a little while after this thread ended. He knew exactly what I was talking about and showed me how he does it on the pen he was using to sign my copy of his CD at the time.

He plays the B
Flicks his index finger off to the side away from the flute
Sounds a C#
Puts down only his middle finger for his C natural (which is how he usually fingers it)
Then goes to the D to finish up

It’s the BCD thing with a little C# between the B & C. I remember finding this conversation very frustrating at the time and gave up on it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

So essentially, he's simply cutting the C on the way up: (3B{^c}=CD. Pretty straightforward.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Thanks, George! Works well.
So, it's deliberately slightly "unclean" ( :wink: :devil: ) fingering - the sort of thing we'd usually work to eliminate, as in playing B cnat d with a C nat cross-fingering cleanly. Instead just be a bit lazy with the top hand fingers....... play a Bc#d run but instead of hitting the D cleanly, all 5 fingers together, stick in your Cnat cross-fingering (whatever it is for the instrument in use) and then fractionally later add the rest of the fingers for middle D. Of course. You can do it the same whether you're playing with a Cnat or a C# in the "pure" run according to key signature.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I think Kevin mentioned that a good place to get that one off is towards the end of the first part of Cregg's Pipes (bar 7). I think there were four notes in it and he was just popping the first finger on the B. I'd have to try it to recall exactly but it just pops out one way or another.

Edit: ok, you have it while I was thinking
Mark
johnnyalpha

Post by johnnyalpha »

Thanks so much guys. I'll try it out when I get home!

Also, a trip to the session.org revealed the tune I'd heard it on where it was especially prominent:
Asturian Air (second part, bcd triplets)

It's on the Merry Sisters of Fate album.