Do you like this whistling?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you like this playing?

Yes, I like it.
73%
Neutral -- not too bad, but not a favorite.
16%
No, I don't like it.
11%

Total votes: 80

anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

CranberryDog wrote:
talasiga wrote:
Wanderer wrote:looks like slightly less than 3/4 of the folks like it. On the other hand, only about 1/8 disliked it.
Thats just becuase the like it box was first. Had the poll been set up with the dislike it box first I am sure we would have got a diffrent result.
:P
Very, very, good one. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just watch... next there will be a call for a recount!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

yar....more work for the interns :lol:
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

talasiga wrote:
Wanderer wrote:looks like slightly less than 3/4 of the folks like it. On the other hand, only about 1/8 disliked it.
Thats just becuase the like it box was first. Had the poll been set up with the dislike it box first I am sure we would have got a diffrent result.
hmmm - the "donkey-vote"???

What if it was the "Goat-vote"!!!???

You must know me by now~~~I'll vote "Goat" every time! (and work-out my reasoning for it later) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(editied to admit that reason, most often, follows action)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

talasiga wrote:
You know, I believe that there may be a grain of truth in there, even if it is a tiny one ;)
dlovrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dlovrien »

Excellent stuff, thanks for posting it.

I find the music to be more (as others have said) "pushing/leaning forward" or "driving" than rushed. The tempo is steady and danceable.

I would certainly never fault anyone who didn't care for it - there are expert performances that I don't care for either - but I am disappointed that several folks would criticize an authoritative recording like this as though there was something wrong or incorrect about it.
David Lovrien - 5 Second Rule & Trinity Hall Session Players - Dallas, TX
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

dlovrien wrote:I would certainly never fault anyone who didn't care for it - there are expert performances that I don't care for either - but I am disappointed that several folks would criticize an authoritative recording like this as though there was something wrong or incorrect about it.
Very well put.
JM
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

dlovrien wrote,
I am disappointed that several folks would criticize an authoritative recording like this as though there was something wrong or incorrect about it.
I, for one, don't think there is anything 'wrong' or 'incorrect' with the recording, I just don't like the playing on this clip no matter how 'authoritive' the recording may be to others. ('do you like this playing' is what was asked first of all was it not?)
I wonder how many people voted knowing already who the player was, and therefore voted on that basis? How many people voted only on the strength of this clip? I don't care either way which way the poll goes, what does it gain? ....apart from showing that I misjudged the whistling tastes of the folk here when I said that more people would not like than like it :-? :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:dlovrien wrote,
I am disappointed that several folks would criticize an authoritative recording like this as though there was something wrong or incorrect about it.
I, for one, don't think there is anything 'wrong' or 'incorrect' with the recording, I just don't like the playing on this clip no matter how 'authoritive' the recording may be to others. ('do you like this playing' is what was asked first of all was it not?)
I wonder how many people voted knowing already who the player was, and therefore voted on that basis? How many people voted only on the strength of this clip? I don't care either way which way the poll goes, what does it gain? ....apart from showing that I misjudged the whistling tastes of the folk here when I said that more people would not like than like it :-? :D
I made my decision on 'like/dislike' before I realized who it was. Finding out who it was didn't change it.
(rantmode)
I think we tend to get caught up in 'like/dislike' as an either/or that is not really warranted a lot of the time. There are so many degrees to the subjective 'like', yet people tend to want to toss something because they didn't particularly like one aspect of it, or to embrace them because of one good point, whether it's a recording, a candidate, a magazine, or an ethnic trait.

I like listening to other people play this music. Fast, slow, near perfection, or warts 'n' all, I can enjoy most of it. I usually feel 'I wish I could play it that well', and occasionally, 'I'm glad I've gotten past that', but mostly, 'I like the way they did ___'.

I find it disturbing that there is such a tendency to be so judgemental about it. If perfection is the only acceptable state, then 99.999999% of us should just quit right now, and the vast majority of music recordings would be out the window.

I'm not saying we should venerate crap, (though that seems to be the standard in popular music at times :lol:), I'm saying that we are prone to denegrating decent music just because we know of someone who can do it better.
(/rantmode)
Perfection is a great goal, but a lousy requirement.
anniemcu
---
---
---
Denny

Post by Denny »

anniemcu wrote:Perfection is a great goal, but a lousy requirement.
haven't read much Ian Fleming have ya?
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Denny wrote:
anniemcu wrote:Perfection is a great goal, but a lousy requirement.
haven't read much Ian Fleming have ya?
:lol:
anniemcu
---
---
---
Stephen Seifert

Post by Stephen Seifert »

No one is saying so, but this seems like a test to see who "get's it" and who doesn't. The implication, if you like his playing, you "get it" when it comes to Irish traditional music.

I will admit, I listened and liked but thought it sounded rushed and a little pitchy. After seeing who played this, something happened inside my brain and I realized I LOVE IT! Anyone else willing to admit this?

Peter has a point about the tape. It sounds like a bit of pitch warble was introduced while recording or during transfer to the computer. The last time I listened to O'Brien's music, this effect was obvious so I didn't give it a second thought.

Point is, I didn't "get it" but I really want to. Maybe I'm nuts. It sounds perfect now.

This all has something to do with expectations and insecurities, I suspect. Any musical psychologists out there?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:I wonder how many people voted knowing already who the player was, and therefore voted on that basis? How many people voted only on the strength of this clip? I don't care either way which way the poll goes, what does it gain? ....apart from showing that I misjudged the whistling tastes of the folk here when I said that more people would not like than like it :-? :D
This is starting to sound like sour grapes.
I'd never heard of the player when I listen to the clip. I still don't know much
about him besides what I Googled after listening to this clip. I don't consider
it "authoritative", I just enjoy it. I liked it immediately and continue to do so,
and I don't have to justify that anymore than you have to justify not enjoying
it. Perhaps we can all chalk it up to subjectiveness and stop thrashing the
proverbial deceased equine?
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

my metronome indicates the beat iin the clip s approx 116 beats / min,
this i believe is well within the ballpark for reels
it is a busy tune,
lots going on, the ornamentation could i believe be selectively refined to give the illusion of more space within the already busy tune,
having said that though, if this player were backed by others in a session or band, it would be very acceptable,
I believe this player has worked hard to achieve his level of competency however i believe on some tunes less is more.
joannie madden is my whistle player supreme, because she doesnt try to over do ornamentation ( but she has the balance between too much and not enough worked out to perfection)
Overall the playing wasnt too shabby at all
regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

boomerang wrote:.....
the ornamentation could i believe be selectively refined to give the illusion of more space within the already busy tune,
I believe this player has worked hard to achieve his level of competency however i believe on some tunes less is more.
I enjoyed reading the elegant way you were able to make these points.

I think people are entitled to express their true opinions because the topic is about whether you like the audio clip and not whether there is some mandate about the status of the music.

When members voice their opinion and share their reasons or insights about their personal likings they are doing just that. Its not an absolute position for the adoption of all. It is not denigrating the music either unless the mode of expression has a certain tenor to it. I think that most of us who honestly said we didn't like all of it or certain aspects of it have done so with a constructive and appreciative tenor.

I hope my earlier comments will come across as being in line with good tenor posts such as those by boomerang and others.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

This is starting to sound like sour grapes.
No, fearfaoin, quite the contrary, dear whistling compadre! Picture me sliding back into my chair while slapping my open palm against my forehead and muttering "Well, who would have thought?". Those two wee emoti-thingy-ma-jigs should have given you a clue! :D
I like O'Brien's whistling, just not this clip, so folks, take what I say at face value.
No one is saying so, but this seems like a test to see who "get's it" and who doesn't. The implication, if you like his playing, you "get it" when it comes to Irish traditional music.
What...? Only his playing?
Emmmm....I don't think so Stephen Seifert, please explain because I certainly do get it. Does that mean that if I like a person who does very little of what was going on this track, I don't 'get it'? :boggle: :D

I'm with boomerang on this one;
the ornamentation could i believe be selectively refined to give the illusion of more space within the already busy tune,

On Ya cobber!! Didgeyabringyadidgealong? :thumbsup:
When members voice their opinion and share their reasons or insights about their personal likings they are doing just that. Its not an absolute position for the adoption of all.
Well said talasiga, what more needs to be said?
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!