I hate my Susato.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

Maybe I missed that part but I don't recall anything said in this thread as offensive.
Kelhorn Mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

Hey,
I don't take any of this thread personally. That may be hard for
folks here to believe but if I did take everything said on this site to heart I'd be a basket case by now. Just making a point about how people use words
and like I said that's only my opinion. I'm just happy folks here are passoniate enough to discuss our whistles in such depth regardless of whether all the comments are positive or not.

Kelhorn Mike
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

A thread originator can always change the title. If it was me, I would do that. I don't much care for using "hate" loosely.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
sponge
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

I think Susato whistle are quite unique the small bore D was not my cup of tea but the C is great.

I was watching the TV one night about 6 months ago when an AD for youngs fish came on, a fishing boat doing it stuff out at sea, the music a lovely tune called when the boat comes in was being played on a whistle, I managed to track down the musician a great guy called Andy Findon we exchanged e-mails and he told me he has a set of Chris Abells and for the youngs AD he used a Susato C, if you go to his website you can watch the full AD and listen to the C whistle at its best in my oppinion, although as kelhorn mikes says his whistles are not to every ones taste, its quite an achievment to have one of the most reasonably priced instruments in the market place no waiting list and sound that can not be mistaken.

sponge :D :D

hey did that sound like and advertisment :D

Andy Findons web site is www andyfindon dot co dot uk
on the home page it has a small icon watch the ad or commercial something like that
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I guess in all fairness I must add that I generally have liked hearing others play Susatos, I just don't particularly care for playing the ones I've tried.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I like black whistles.
rh

Post by rh »

i'm probably in a very small minority here but i really like the VSB.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Wanderer wrote:
MTGuru wrote:And in that Lunasa thread, Kevin does recommend Susatos as a second whistle, and confirm that he uses them for both performing and recording.
I have Lunasa's Kinnitty Sessions CD, which has the same tune as in the YouTube video (Island Paddy)...I'd bet money that a Susato was used on that CD...it sounds just like one, and nothing like a Sindt to me.
He did...that was a live recording. After a concert in Alexandria, VA, someone was asking him about it, and he said that he wouldn't really want to use it for recording, but he did use it on Kinnitty because it was live. I can't remember the word he used to describe the Susato's sound, but it was a word I hadn't heard before, and started with a G. Not "grotty," but something like it maybe.

My own feelings on Susatos have softened recently. I used to hate them, but now I only have a vague dislike of the high D. I've never played one in C, and I bet if I did, I'd almost like it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, I also think the Susato C is the sweet spot in the S-bore line.
fruladog

Post by fruladog »

rh wrote:i'm probably in a very small minority here but i really like the VSB.
Me too. For dual-octave tunes I prefer the Dublin VSB. For first-octave tunes, it's the solid SB.

Two things I like about the Susatos in general are the wider space between the E and F# holes (for stubby fingers) and the in-tune OXXOOO C natural.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I actually like the SB better than the VSB; properly controlled, I think the SB has a rounder, sweeter tone, and can be driven harder.

The VSB is good in its own right though.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
rh

Post by rh »

peeplj wrote:I actually like the SB better than the VSB; properly controlled, I think the SB has a rounder, sweeter tone, and can be driven harder.
as noted in the Overton thread, i'm lazy... :D
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Now Overtons.... :D

My Overton high D is, bar none, the best whistle I've ever had a chance to play.

What's interesting to me is Overtons, like Susatos, have a reputation for being loud.

In my experience, played with control, neither one is louder than a Feadog.

Who'da thunk it?

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

baahh… definitively susato is good whistle, nevertheless of all the tastes, if you do not like the Susatos simply you do not buy them, are no thousands of songs that way to listen before buying one.

P.D: close topic xD
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Oh Aanvil!! You're over-reacting. Mike was perfectly reasonable, especially in view of the fact that his product was taking a beating. It's gotta hurt to hear lower level players dissing a product that has been used by the best bands out there (eg: Lunasa). (If you feel that you'd fit right in on stage with Lunasa, then you have right to be offended by "lower level" and I apologize in that case).
Short bio: 1952-