Scotch Single Malt Whisky!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

amar wrote:am I dreaming?? this is a must-have!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACALLAN-18-YO-750M ... dZViewItem

I somehow don't get it, is the bottle empty..?
1. The value of the auctioned item is in the collectible container, not
its contents.

2. The container has not been opened, but any incidental contents are
not intended for consumption.
Seems suspicious.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

quite . . .
amar

Post by amar »

I just got this message from the seller:

Hi Amar,
Yes, the bottle is full and sealed. I should have mentioned it in the listing.
Thanks for the question.
Ben
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

The Weekenders wrote: One think we do have in common, though, is the inability to keep the stuff long enough to have a collection. And I like the brands you mentioned as well.
In that case, you are indeed a civilised man, and, struggle though I may to get the words out, one after my own heart (arrgh! :o ). If ever I'm round your way or you mine, we now know that 'tis not oil that will need to be poured on troubled waters, but a good peaty malt. Just leave the troubled waters out of mine, that's all. :D

And I could easily persuade you off that thin freezing piss that passes (and the sooner it passes the better) for beer in the US. One slug of Doom Bar is all it'll take.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

gonzo914 wrote:While this thread is still open, here's a nice little novel in which Scotch whiskey plays an integral part -- There's a preview chapter; check it out. You will enjoy it -- if you truly love Scotch whiskey
:o Aarrrgh!

amar

Post by amar »

my feelings exactly. :lol:
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

"The king o' drinks, as I conceive it,Talisker, Islay or Glenlivet".

-Robert Louis Stevenson

Talisker is my fave, though. The 10 year old version; the older stuff is too expensive although I'm sure it's fantastic.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

[beer hijack]
SteveShaw wrote:And I could easily persuade you off that thin freezing piss that passes (and the sooner it passes the better) for beer in the US. One slug of Doom Bar is all it'll take.
Not every US beer is like making love in a rowboat. There are some microbrews in the US that are undoubtedly as good as (or better than! :twisted: ) your beloved Doom Bar. (For example, there's a wonderful porter out of California: Anderson Valley Brewing Company's "Deep Enders Dark" Porter. Nectar of the gods.)

[/beer hijack]

Back on topic:
I've never tried whisky (or whiskey, for that matter). So tell me, did you like it the first time you tried it, or was it an acquired taste? What kind would the experts here recommend for a whisky virgin's first sip?
Last edited by jsluder on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
amar

Post by amar »

deep enders? sure weeks likes that. :D
stefano

Post by stefano »

I feel more comfortable on this thread than in the whistle forum: I drink better than I whistle :)

so here's a true story about whistle&whisky. long time ago, a friend of mine brought me an hand made whistle. It didn't look very good: a clarke-like crooked whistle, horribly soldered, with a raw wooden fipple badly placed. Well... I plop the wooden fipple in a glass full of Laphroaig, and let it there for a long time. then I drank the whisky. wow!! the whisky was more tasty, and of course, the whistle now is playing much better! :D

I guess I am not the first to try this unconventional tweaking.....
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

jsluder wrote:I've never tried whisky (or whiskey, for that matter). So tell me, did you like it the first time you tried it, or was it an acquired taste? What kind would the experts here recommend for a whisky virgin's first sip?
I just can't get my wife to try it even. The upside of that is that my puny supplies last longer but the downside is that I have to justify the acquisition of every damn bottle, which wouldn't happen if she liked it. I always sort of liked ordinary blended whiskys but they are simply not the same beast at all. Chalk and cheese. It's tempting to suggest you try something light such as Glenmorangie or The Glenlivet, which are both very good and much better than the ubiquitous Glenfiddich, but my first experience of malt was with 10-year-old Macallan and I loved it straight away. It isn't the lightest of malts (though not the heaviest either), but it has good balance and a nice background sweetness that is very appealing. Mind you, so has Talisker, but perhaps that giant among malts could come a little later... :)

Just try it without water first. Once you've acquired the taste you can pollute it thus as much as you like. What these diluters forget is that all the standard 40%-ish malts are diluted already before bottling. And you will not remain in my house if I ever see ice floating in your malt. 'Twould be a lesser sin to call the Pope an agnostic.

gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

SteveShaw wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:While this thread is still open, here's a nice little novel in which Scotch whiskey plays an integral part -- There's a preview chapter; check it out. You will enjoy it -- if you truly love Scotch whiskey
I long ago quit caring about trying to keep this one straight, for did not your own Shakespeare write "And a whiskie by any other name would still go down as sweetly." Or something like that.

Besides, I had all those es left over from spelling "lightish black" as gray.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

My first experience with any whisky and/or whiskey was The Glenlivet, so everything else has pretty much paled by comparison. This was back when you could get a fifth of it in Kansas for 12 bucks. I was taught to drink it neat in a brandy snifter.

And in 1975, I broke up with a girl who put soda in Glenlivet. Not soda as in "carbonated water," but soda as in "coke." I'll spare you the details of the sordid parting of the ways, but suffice it to say that it came that same evening and involved a fencing foil and the drunken recitation of a poem from Cyrano De'Bergerac ("Then, as I end the refrain -- thrust home").
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
amar

Post by amar »

gonzo914 wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
I long ago quit caring about trying to keep this one straight, for did not your own Shakespeare write "And a whiskie by any other name would still go down as sweetly."
yes, but he was a sassenach. :D
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

amar wrote: yes, but he was a sassenach. :D
I'm glad you said that and not me!

I had it typed out but then remembered that, as I don't drink whisky myself, I wouldn't be slagging our neighbours from a particuarly strong position....