New Clansman

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

For the record I was not offended but thought other people were. I could careless as for my avatar happens to be a picture of Galician Pipes which for a while wanted to learn but don't any more because the fingerings are exactly the same as whistle except fot he fact that the fingerings are for a non transposing C whistle (ie 6 holes covered is a C not a D) it was too confusing so what I am trying to say is that my avatar is a bagpipe I don't even play but I might have to change that.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

My avatar has been changed to my Pipe and Drum band's logo.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Are you in this mix, Avery?

Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Unseen122 wrote:For the record I was not offended but thought other people were.
I hope you did not think I bore you ill will, no matter what your opinion was. I think we all have a right to speak up and you certainly were very polite, as I think everyone was. I do have your "for the record" feelings straight. But if you had been offended, that would have been okay too. We would have disagreed, but in a civil way. Your avatar is very nice. :)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Unseen122 wrote:For the record I was not offended but thought other people were.
That's where the whole naff "PC" nonsense started.

I can't get behind your pipe and drum band naming itself after Cuchullain. He killed his own son, and his dear mate Ferdiad, not to mention the general slaying all over the place and turning his face inside-out when he got ticked off.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

http://www.scottish-swords.com/museum.html
We had Clansman here way before the even found Yankie land 8) :lol:
So make no mistake :roll:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Stacey, that website is neat. I always wanted to see how someone put on a plaid---I had read about it, but seeing it is different.

I'm sure everyone agrees that the word "clansman" is a perfectly fine and honorable word in other societies---and it can be in this society too. It is here in the US that it was corrupted into "Klansman" which has bad meanings here, so it just takes a moment of adjustment to figure out how the word is being used. But no one was faulting you for using that term. We were just talking about how strange it was that the word could raise different associations depending on one's history. It is an embarrassment for Americans that there was (and still is to some extent) such a dreadful group of hatemongers called the Ku Klux Klan in our country.
walrii

Post by walrii »

So, let me get this straight. If I don't get it about the Swiss, does that make me a boob? If bouncing boobs worry those who wonder if bouncing boobs might offend others who don't, should I be offended by others like me who don't get it and might be boobs but don't bounce? If the Klansmen got kilt by the Injuns, then who kilted the Injuns and does that make them Clansmen? If Stacy makes some of the Albas all of the time does Cynth sing all of the Abba some of the time? If I like chocolate milk, must I give up bedsheets and night shirts? Are fipples like those, er, other, um, things that ryme with fipple, in that hard is good, or is this something else that I don't get? Did I spell "ryme" right? Does ryme rhyme with rhythm or rythm? Have I been reading too much Dale? Could someone please start a thread about whistle keys so my head will hurt in a different way? I think that about covers it.

P.S. I really have enjoyed reading this thread.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: :lol: walrii, it has been a mighty strange journey.

GaryKelly wrote:Unseen122 wrote:
For the record I was not offended but thought other people were.

That's where the whole naff "PC" nonsense started.
I hate that PC stuff---I feel that those who follow without thinking and insist that we all do that are just as despotic as those they claim they are against.
That being said, I could see that someone might rightfully protest against something if s/he thought, because of what the person had said, that someone else was offended by it. Wouldn't it, in fact, be a valiant thing to do?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Cynth wrote:That being said, I could see that someone might rightfully protest against something if s/he thought, because of what the person had said, that someone else was offended by it. Wouldn't it, in fact, be a valiant thing to do?
Not necessarily. If someone only *thought* that some other people might feel a certain way, and decided to speak on their behalf without actually taking the trouble to find out what the real feelings were, that would not be valiant. That would be presumptuous and, frankly, prattish.

If someone misread something another had written and added their voice in support of a misconception, that would not necessarily be valiant. That might be getting the wrong end of the stickitudinacity. And somewhat prattish.

If someone were sticking up for a friend, or a group of friends, and speaking out in concert with them on a matter of principle upon which all were agreed, that might be valiant. But speaking out thusly in concert with complete strangers might also be merely jumping on the bandwagon. Or blind sheepitudiness.

Not speaking at all for fear of being "non PC" is self-censorship and robs the world of a view which might otherwise embiggen us all, just as Stewy's avatar is a view that may embiggen some of us, at least to the point of discussion. And anyway, if it were that 'bad', it would've raised a furore ages ago when it first went up. It didn't.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
markbell

Post by markbell »

Gary,

Well-hit, sir! Well-hit!

(Please forgive my bandwagonacity)

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Just remember that the BEHEMOTH CUTIEPIE THREAD started as a discussion about political correctness!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

The Weekenders wrote:Just remember that the BEHEMOTH CUTIEPIE THREAD started as a discussion about political correctness!
weeks, i think we should dig it up again..!
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

walrii wrote:So, let me get this straight. If I don't get it about the Swiss, does that make me a boob? If bouncing boobs worry those who wonder if bouncing boobs might offend others who don't, should I be offended by others like me who don't get it and might be boobs but don't bounce? If the Klansmen got kilt by the Injuns, then who kilted the Injuns and does that make them Clansmen? If Stacy makes some of the Albas all of the time does Cynth sing all of the Abba some of the time? If I like chocolate milk, must I give up bedsheets and night shirts? Are fipples like those, er, other, um, things that ryme with fipple, in that hard is good, or is this something else that I don't get? Did I spell "ryme" right? Does ryme rhyme with rhythm or rythm? Have I been reading too much Dale? Could someone please start a thread about whistle keys so my head will hurt in a different way? I think that about covers it.

P.S. I really have enjoyed reading this thread.
Your tusks are making me uncomfortable. :P
markbell

Post by markbell »

littlejohngael wrote:Your tusks are making me uncomfortable. :P
Tusk-tusk... some people!
sibilo ergo sum